Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2010, 02:46 AM   #1
Phyllen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9165
They refuse to make good

HI. A few months ago I wrote on this site about an issue we were having with the dealer from whom we bought our 2009 Montana. We had an accident in May and took it back to the dealer in NJ for repair. The initial problem was that it took them 5 weeks to ORDER the parts. They first saw the rig on May 24 and because of the slow response in ordering parts, the job was not completed until Aug 28.

When we picked it up, we noticed the steps had been changed. There was no reason to change steps as the damage was to the back cap. When first asked, they said they needed to be changed. When pressed, they said it was a mistake. Another rig in the shop needed new steps and ours were changed instead.

The shop told us we could bring our rig back and they would put our steps back on. As it was a 198 round trip and we were due to work on a NOMADS project in North Carolina in 5 days, we could not do that.

Depending on how we are parked, the replacement steps are from 16 to 20 inches from the ground. When we got to NC, we bought a platform to assist us in getting in and out. We prefer to have stationary steps and not depend on a platform. In addition, these steps are very shaky.

Last month Leonard called the dealer, SCOTT MOTORCOACH of LAKEWOOD, NJ and since they had admitted they made a mistake, asked that they send us correct steps and he would installed them. They said they would check it out and call us. We waited weeks and no response. Leonard called SCOTT MOTORCOACH last week. They said they investiaged and we have correct steps. They refuse any further correction even though in August they said they would change out the steps.

We had contacted Keystone about the various issues we had with SCOTT and did not get a response to our letter. When we called them, they said they do not get involved between dealers and customers. So be it.

We want to get the word out about SCOTT MOTORCOACH. To see the difference in the steps go to www.theeastsheadwest.blogspot.com

Phyllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:55 AM   #2
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
You may want to try the Good Sam Action Line...they have a section in their magazine devoted to things like this. They may be able to convince SCOTT to make this step mistake good???? (Action Line, PO Box 8545, Ventura, CA 93002)
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:07 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Post their email address and the GM of the place, I will email them, maybe some other MOC members will do so as well.
We have to stick together here.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:11 AM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I would think if you have pictures of the old steps and the new steps a day in small claims court might be your next step. or try GS Action line and see what they can do. why did yoy accept the RV after the work was completed ? I would have said the work was wrong regardles how much I wanted the RV.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:02 AM   #5
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
You may want to contact the State's Attorney General's office. I had a truck dealer issue in Illinois and after being forced to jump through hoops for 11 months the Attorney General took care of it in 1 month.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:06 PM   #6
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Forgive me, but this reminds me of a line in the movie "The Untouchables" in which Sean Connery says "What are you prepared to do?" It sounds like this bothers you a lot but you will want to evaluate and understand to what length do you wish to pursue this? At what expense emotionally and monetarily? Don't get me wrong, my DW calls me the Don Quixote Pit Bull. Once I commit to a cause where I feel wronged there is absolutely no letting go. It hasn't gotten better the older I get either. The good news is that I usually get what I'm after.
Good suggestions here with the Action Line. Bad PR in the RV community can be the kiss of death, especially when it's read worldwide! Whatever way you decide to go, we're rootin' for ya!!
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:58 AM   #7
Phyllen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9165
Thanks for your responses. Yes, this does irk us enough that we will not, at this juncture, let it drop. The cost of new steps is only about $200 - no big deal. But we feel we were being jerked around from the beginning. We are very disappointed with this dealership. I will be writing to Good Sam with pictures included.

Yes, we were stupid for accepting the rig once we saw the steps were changed out. We were more interested in inspecting the back cap where the repairs were done. In fact, we were quite pleased with the work. At the time we asked why the steps were changed and was told they needed to be. It was after we got the rig home and saw how far from the ground they were that we called them again. Then they told us they made a mistake and we could bring the rig all the way back and they would repair it without charge!

As I said, we had a commitment and needed to get on the road asap.

Their web site is wwww.scottmotorcoach.com Our salesperson was Lee Scott. He intervened when the shop originally took so long to place the parts order but we have not had success with this situation. As I said, if they send us the steps or arrange for us to pick up steps at another Montana dealer, we would install them. We do not plan on being back in the NJ area until next fall.

I can not imagine they want any bad publicity. But they really need to improve their customer relations.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:22 PM   #8
Phyllen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9165
UPDATE! We got a call from the NEW service manager from Scott yesterday. He says he understands we have a problem. Leonard explained the issue. He said they will send us the correct steps and we need not send the other ones back as it would be costly to ship them. He asked for an address. We are now in Tucson. Next week we will be in Benson, AZ where I have a cousin who lives nearby. I contacted her for permission to send the steps to her home. Len left a message today for the service manager to call us and we will give him the address.

I sent a letter to Good Sam Action Line a few weeks ago. We have not heard from them. We are curious as to why the change of heart. Once this is settled, I will try to find out what made Scott Motorcoach decide to repair their mistake.

Thanks for the support we received here and the suggestions.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:10 PM   #9
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Maybe they read the MOC forum??? Whatever the reason, I'm glad this is going to be resolved to your satisfaction. Please keep us posted on the final outcome.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:24 PM   #10
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
I am happy to read that you had an amicable solution to your problem. So many companies treat their customers poorly and seem to always get away with it.

I had a similar problem with a ATV accessory company. I never was able to even get them to acknowlege my problem, they just ignored me. I have discouraged so many people from buying their product over the last 5 years that I almost feel bad about it. I happily got some news the other day. They went bankrupt.

We should never give up and just take it.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:39 PM   #11
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Phyllen, Perhaps they got a call from Good Sam and decided to settle before it went in a magazine?????
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:39 PM   #12
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Phyllen

UPDATE! We got a call from the NEW service manager from Scott yesterday. He says he understands we have a problem. Leonard explained the issue. He said they will send us the correct steps and we need not send the other ones back as it would be costly to ship them. He asked for an address. We are now in Tucson. Next week we will be in Benson, AZ where I have a cousin who lives nearby. I contacted her for permission to send the steps to her home. Len left a message today for the service manager to call us and we will give him the address.

I sent a letter to Good Sam Action Line a few weeks ago. We have not heard from them. We are curious as to why the change of heart. Once this is settled, I will try to find out what made Scott Motorcoach decide to repair their mistake.

Thanks for the support we received here and the suggestions.

Glad to hear your step problem appears to be on the mend... as far as why the change of heart at your dealership??? Personally, I would not look a gift horse in the mouth....
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:59 AM   #13
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Excellent news!!! Shouldn't have taken this long to correct this problem, but for what ever reason, the dealership finally corrected the wrong. I give them credit for that!!!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:06 AM   #14
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Sounds like persistence and patience has won the day.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:23 PM   #15
PatnRich
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1250
Glad to hear that Scott has decided to "step" up to address the problem. Sorry, I couldn't resist.
PatnRich is offline   Reply With Quote