Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Galley tank splits sitting still??????

Dealer called today to tell me that my Galley tank has a big split in it?? It was full and befor I could pull the handle to drain it, it started running water out the belly. I never travel with the tanks full so it does amaze me it split while sitting in a park. Now the svc guy says not too much insulation got wet. Since I have never opened up a belly, just how much insulation is in around the tanks? He said he would call with a price to replace the insulation since the extended warranty will not pay to replace it. They will only pay to repair the broken part and not the damage caused by a broken part???? I find that kind of BS but guess they are trying to find any way they can to avoid paying. Is there a lot of insulation around the tanks to worry about. Surely it can't be that hard to put insulation back in around that tank.

steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Dave,
Unless they have changed things there is no insulation around the tank. At least on my previous Monty there was none. We had all the tanks leak at one time or another so had the cover down to work on them. The only insulation I remember was just the thin cover. We had a 2002 3295 model.

We have not had the cover down on our new 2012 rig so don't know if they now actually insulate the tanks or not. If I had to guess it would be no. Good luck and let us know. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:27 AM   #3
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
I would be checking on another insurance co. As you said thats BS. I had my cat turn the water on in the kitchen and it filled the gray tank, then the sink, then the trailer. Blue Sky Ins. was notified and all that was stated was go get it fixed and have the service center call him with the details. Never heard from them again and the bill was paid promptly. $4000.00 worth of damage including insulation!!

Davew
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:40 AM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Back tank split on our 2005, right down the seam. Repaired myself with fiberglass and eternabond tank tape. One piece of insulation layig on the underbelly, none around the tank itself.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:54 AM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The above are correct, the only insulation is a thin layer and even if it got wet, all that would be required would be to let it dry. Sounds like the dealer is trying to milk whatever they can out of the repair to me.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:24 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Our black water tank developed a leak which was entirely my fault. I use a FlushKing on the output of the RV's sewer pipe and I back flush the black water tank. I got distracted the other day talking to a neighbor and suddenly saw water running out the bottom of the rig.

Moral: Pay attention to what you're doing. I normally do as I usually only allow 5 minutes for the back flush. But....

Am headed for Main Trailer Sales in Roswell, NM on Monday to get the tank repaired (if it can be).

Orv
Update: Leak in our black water tank happened to be where the connection is made to the tank. This tank was replaced in '07 in Fresno, CA and the tech didn't use enough adhesive. By my back flushing, the water put enough pressure on the spot to blow the adhesive out. So far it seems to be holding. Will know in a few days.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:57 AM   #7
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
I've had the front 1/2 off on my 2010 3150RL cause I split my black tank open. The only insulation under there is a layer of Reflectix insulation. And above the tank there is black sheet vinyl.

Since my tank split at the top seam, I was able to repair it using the same thing that OZZ used:

http://www.amazon.com/Plasti-Mend-Pl.../dp/B003JC3UB2

The tank was very easy to get out and put back in, but I did it in my driveway, not at a campground.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:49 AM   #8
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
We had our galley tank replaced last month because of a crack. No insulation around the tank that I remember [maybe some between the top of the tank and the floor?] and just the corrugated plastic bottom cover to remove. We had a local mobile repair do the work on our lot. It took him about 3-4 hours [I think] once he started, including plumbing adhesive drying time. I did the cabinetry removal/replacement for access to the plumbing though.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:30 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our extended warranty(service contract) paid for ALL our tank failures. I would look for another company. We had 5 tank failures in our 06 3w400. We also never traveled with tanks full or even 1/4 full. I think just the weight of the stuff in the tanks caused them to fail and all in the same place..at the top.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:47 AM   #10
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
We replaced one black tank. I was able to repair a low-level leak on the grey tank with ABS cement......and later it developed a leak real high at the rigid connections.....we learned to live with that one.

The real kicker was that Keystone said it was a problem I had to take up with Star who made the tank. Keystone could not furnish me with a tank number even after I gave them my serial number and VIN number.

The only insulation that I found was some of the aluminium stuff (Arctic Package), so they call it.

If you look at the archives, there have been tank problems since 2005, nothing new and apparently there are no plans to fix any existing problems.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:31 PM   #11
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
As others have said. I'd look into a different insurance company.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:09 PM   #12
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
I also repaired my gray tank with the above mentioned product from amazon. Took two try's first I used the plastic screen like materal that failed to hold, on the second fix I used metal screening and the mixture of ther glue and has worked now for two years. Ther is no insulation just aluminum coated bubble wrap.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:05 PM   #13
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
As everyone else says there is no real insulation down there. Under the tanks is the sheet plastic stuff that people use to keep the heat out of their windows. Kind of like bubble wrap covered in a silver colored material. I would go down to your dealer and ask them to show you this damaged insulation. Doubtful there is. The tanks have a little differant type of plastic for the top. It is flat material where the rest of the tank is moded. I beleive this top material splits very easy when you overfill the tanks. I've had 2 tanks go. The shower one cracked on the side and I was able to repair it with eternabond tape. The galley one split the full length of the top so I had to replace it.
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #14
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
My galley tank started leaking after about 3 days of washing dishes and my dealership replaced thru my extended warranty and I just paid shipping of the tank.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:13 PM   #15
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Well it will be interesting then to see what the dealer tells me as far as a cost to replace the insulation lol lol... Guess I shoulda figured there would not be a whole lot in the belly. But the extended warranty is replacing the tank. Dealer said they had to review the case but he figured they would cover the bill. He did say when they replace them they use a rubber sleeve between the plumbing and the tank so it is not rigid and has some give to it. We never have traveled with tanks even half full. This one musta split at least half ways down or better because when I tried to use it again it only got 1/4 to 1/2 way before it started running out. In the future I will be careful not to fill the tanks the whole way.....
Old 02-11-2013, 05:40 AM   #16
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
I imagine the same thing goes with the fresh water tank?? As far as not travelling with it full.....
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #17
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
The fresh tank seems to hold up better. I have traveled a good bit with it about 1/2 full usually. Got to a least have some in it for showers and bath use for a day or two traveling. Never know when you're gonna have to spend a nite at a Walmart or truck stop....
Old 02-12-2013, 01:18 AM   #18
rjsurfer
Established Member

M.O.C. #8922
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by steelpony5555

The fresh tank seems to hold up better. I have traveled a good bit with it about 1/2 full usually. Got to a least have some in it for showers and bath use for a day or two traveling. Never know when you're gonna have to spend a nite at a Walmart or truck stop....
Maybe the harsh chemicals we put in our tanks effect it's longevity? fresh water tanks are not exposed to them (hopefully)

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:27 AM   #19
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
As mentioned, the material your service rep is calling insulation is sold under several brand names, but this link has good photos of it.http://www.radiantbarrier.mcjr.net/b...insulation.htm Basically it's 1/8" bubble wrap sandwiched inbetween two layers of foil like material. There is regular fiberglass insulation in your rear cap, but I doubt if the fluid traveled that far. Unless it has a rip in it, about the only way fluid can get in it is at the edges. I had to replace my radiant barrier when I bought my fiver ... clean up crew pressure washed my fiver and forced water in the edges of the foil insulation. I replaced it as I was afraid of mold. It can be bought at Lowes for @$50 for enough to cover your rear belly pan so your dealer is really hyping the insulation deal up I think.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote