Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2012, 01:20 PM   #21
Buffpilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5227
Ah, Mission tires, I miss the comments about them.

Buffpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:00 PM   #22
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
I have written an official inquiry to Keystone. Asking about "their knowledge" of the issues of "castistropic tire failure" and what remedies they have in place, or plan to put in place for owners of these "suspect tires"! I will share with the forum what I learn. I will begin other inquirers with the manufacturer and consumer protection agencies as well. I suggest any "documented examples" be registered in writing with Keystone and tire manufacturer with CC to DOT. Let's not just talk about the issue lets take action. If no issue exists, then perhaps we begin stressing proper tire care, and maintenance, instead of making "frightening blanket statements" against an "iconic" US based Company. It's my hope we get some answers. Thanks to all!
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:00 PM   #23
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HOOK

Because I have had 4 of the greatly discussed Marathons fail and because of posts on this site was able to catch each before they blew, and because I owned tow trucks and saw many very serious accidents caused by blown tires, I ask humbly, please continue to to post things that might prevent a catastrophe. Larry
If you removed the Marathons before anything catastrophic happened how do you know they failed? How, exactly, did each fail?

I was not a tow truck driver but I've seen a number of auto accidents but I don't trade in my car because I saw one involved in an accident. Now if the Government ordered a recall of the make and model of what I was driving I'd certainly look for another car. The same would be true of tires.

As far as reporting about things that are pertinent to RVing I agree completely. But there comes a point when beating a dead horse becomes counter productive. And believe me I'm an old "dead horse" beater from way back! Drive safely and Happy Trails, Dennis.
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:27 PM   #24
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bruce Lenhardt

X2 What Bill-N-Donna said.
X3!!
The Weekenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:29 PM   #25
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
The two that failed on mine were spotted before they blew. The belts were separating. Large bulges were pushing outward in the tread. I took the tires off, and took them to a GoodYear dealer I know very well. The General Manager confirmed the belts were separating and said "if you had pulled the trailer again you would have blown out both tires". He also said the Marathons were not bad tires, but would not hold up on a trailer the size of mine. Said trailer tires take too much abuse with all the tight parking/turning we have to do while pulling the trailers. He said I needed the G614s to handle the load of my rig. He called GoodYear corporate, and they approved giving me credit on all of my Marathons towards G614s. In my opinion, and that may not be much, the Marathons are overrated in weight handling capacity.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:45 PM   #26
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I still have the Tacoma tires on my 2004 3400RL. I remember all the threads about how those tires were junk and had so many problems... To date, I have roughly 45,000 miles logged on the tires and they still have 10/32 tread left. I keep the pressure at 80 PSI, I had them balanced the day I bought the coach and keep them covered when not rolling down the road. As many know, I tow between 65-68 mph and my coach is loaded for full time living. I guess I am the lucky one who actually got a good set of Tacoma tires. The new coach was ordered with the G614's and hopefully I will have as much success with those as I've had with these tires after 8 years of use.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:00 PM   #27
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by grampachet

Is there anyone else who is brave enough to mention their success with Marathons?
We have close to 6000 miles on ours. so far.......

But we do have a tpms, watch them close, and our rig only weights in at 10,700#, so we are way under weight. And I drive like a little old man, 62 MPH max.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:18 PM   #28
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by The Weekenders

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bruce Lenhardt

X2 What Bill-N-Donna said.
I took each tire to local Goodyear dealer . The last two at the same time. I called GY customer ser. Talked toa gentleman named Booth. Explained my problem. He agreed to refund the full retail price of the Ms . He refunded all roadside expense. With that and $300.00 I was able to buy G614s making me a happy camper. I would not have known to pursue it if this site were not here. As to how I recognized the broken belts; bulges in tread and wall very noticeable. As I have about 53 years in and around aircraft, auto, and truck ser. , it may have been easier for me to recognize. If you have questions that I might help you with please feel free to PM me. Just want you and me to be safe. Larry P.S. Sorry Bill & Donna, I meant for this to attach to Hamrad's post.

X3!!
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:28 PM   #29
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TLightning

I don't think anybody is bashing anything. People are explaining problems they are having with tires. As noted above, if you are not interested in a thread, don't read it.
Tom,
Really?! You don't think a topic containing the word "Mar-A-Bombs" is "NOT" bashing? Seems pretty clear to me that this thread has a "bashing" theme to it. Just saying.

I appreciate any and all information that will help me somehow with my RVing experiences. An example of some important information was the info shared by some of our first MOC members. Way back in the day a member reported his experience with the shackles breaking. His coach body actually fell onto the frame of his rig as he pulled into his driveway. This info save me a bunch of worry, time and money. We started watching this process and within a year replaced the old weak shackles with new Heavy Duty shackles.

Yes there were some posts that bashed or almost bashed Keystone and Lippert but nothing even remotely approaching the level of bashing that has / is taking place with the Marathons.

I skip reading those posts that I have no interest in ---- however when it comes to any kind of safety issues I usually read anything that remotely relates. So I end up feeling compelled to read even the "bashing" type threads fearing I might miss something important. Unfortunately most of the time there is only a rehashing of previously reported info.
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:03 PM   #30
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RJI47

DQDICK, would you mind sharing with us who you contacted at GY, or how you went about getting the contact info? I visited 2 GY dealers yesterday, and neither of them knew anything about problems with marathons, and even said they were quite expensive... $178 each I'd be interested in making the same phone call you did, even though I have had no problems with my Marathons at all. I would just like to know what GY would have to say.
I called and emailed Goodyear regarding my concerns with the Marathons. I got absolutely nowhere with them. They flat out denied any problems with the tires, and said there was absolutely nothing in place to "assist" me in getting credit toward the the G614s by trading in the Marathons.

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:27 PM   #31
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by seahunter

Quote:

DQDICK, would you mind sharing with us who you contacted at GY, or how you went about getting the contact info? I visited 2 GY dealers yesterday, and neither of them knew anything about problems with marathons, and even said they were quite expensive... $178 each I'd be interested in making the same phone call you did, even though I have had no problems with my Marathons at all. I would just like to know what GY would have to say.
I called and emailed Goodyear regarding my concerns with the Marathons. I got absolutely nowhere with them. They flat out denied any problems with the tires, and said there was absolutely nothing in place to "assist" me in getting credit toward the the G614s by trading in the Marathons.

I repeat, his name was Booth, and not a phone answerer but a supervisor. Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:56 PM   #32
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
The same string of failures happened with regard to the "Chinese Manufactured" Mission tires that were being put on Keystone rigs coming off the line 8-9 years ago. We had the Missions on our 2004 Mountaineer and had 3 failures. Nearly no one on this forum was as educated or tuned in to the tire failures as they are now and blamed me for the failures (under inflation, overloaded, driving too fast)....although I was certain I knew better.

When Keystone advertised the late 2009 "10th Anniversary Edition" and the newer 2010 "Hickory Edition" they touted the addition of "Brand name 16" steel belted radial tires" in their brochure, i.e. Goodyear Marathons (I wonder why???), but these too were manufactured in China. I don't know where the Marathon was manufactured prior to 2008-09. We had these the Chinese manufactured Marathons on our 2010 "Hickory" manufactured in March 2009 and noticed the first one de-laminating at about 15K miles. Fortunately, we caught it before failure and replaced the 4 on the ground with MAXXIS tires and have had good luck with the replacements to date and 16K later.

Goodyear supposedly was going to move manufacturing of the Marathon back to the U.S., but when I sent them and e-mail to question them on this I got an answer that was utter BS. I posted it here on the forum somewhere if you care to search for it.

I remain convinced this is a QA problem with where the tires are manufactured and not with the name on the tire or the RV manufacturer, other than their willingness to use a poorly manufactured/QA'd tire. IMHO, any tire manufactured in China is not worth the risk of putting on any rig. And OBTW, this is not only common to Keystone products with the Marathons or Missions....a check of other owner's forums can confirm this too.

So that is my 2 cents worth on both products and some years of experience on the subject.

Jack

ON EDIT: Here is the link to the response I received to my inquiry to Goodyear: http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...45&whichpage=2 The reply is on page 2 about halfway down.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:09 PM   #33
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HamRad

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TLightning

I don't think anybody is bashing anything. People are explaining problems they are having with tires. As noted above, if you are not interested in a thread, don't read it.
Tom,
Really?! You don't think a topic containing the word "Mar-A-Bombs" is "NOT" bashing? Seems pretty clear to me that this thread has a "bashing" theme to it. Just saying.

I appreciate any and all information that will help me somehow with my RVing experiences. An example of some important information was the info shared by some of our first MOC members. Way back in the day a member reported his experience with the shackles breaking. His coach body actually fell onto the frame of his rig as he pulled into his driveway. This info save me a bunch of worry, time and money. We started watching this process and within a year replaced the old weak shackles with new Heavy Duty shackles.

Yes there were some posts that bashed or almost bashed Keystone and Lippert but nothing even remotely approaching the level of bashing that has / is taking place with the Marathons.

I skip reading those posts that I have no interest in ---- however when it comes to any kind of safety issues I usually read anything that remotely relates. So I end up feeling compelled to read even the "bashing" type threads fearing I might miss something important. Unfortunately most of the time there is only a rehashing of previously reported info.
It's just RVer using a colorful adjective expressing his frustration in having the manufacturer put junk tires on his RV.

As I said earlier, if you don't want to read Marathon posts, and you think yours are wonderful...great...but don't read the thread.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:58 PM   #34
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
Denandannie posted the following update to his original post:

Here is a copy of an email from a lawyer regarding my inquiry about a class action suit in relation to the Marathon tires. This was received after my original post.

Dennis,
I have not handled any of those tire recall cases, but I understand that there is a problem with those tires. A while back I handled a few Goodyear G159 cases involving RV tires.
Unfortunately for consumers, tort reform has made class action cases impractical in most jurisdictions.
I fear that it won’t be long before all remedies for consumers are taken away as big business interests continue to unleash the power of the checkbook on elections throughout our country.

Pro tort reform judges have made it inordinately expensive to get even the most compelling tire defect cases to trial. As a result of tort reform laws, we are now only able to help only those that are maimed or killed when defective tires cause accidents.

Rob Ammons

I was in your corner Denandannie, until you put this in. No politics please...Shame on ya!
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:29 PM   #35
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:

I didn't do anything special. I just called their customer service line and asked for a supervisor. The person who answered the phone wouldn't give me one and asked what I wanted. I said what i've stated and he put me on hold for a long time and then had me take the rig to my nearest dealer to have the tires tested for wear. Once they knew the wear the Goodyear dealer called them back and then told me what they would offer. I took the deal and that's the full extent of my knowledge.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:31 AM   #36
Ren
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10954
The only way the majority of things get done is through public opinion. The more we complain about these tires, and the more people order thier RV's with better tires, the more Keystone will hopefully pay attention and start doing something about it.

Im getting my Towmax Str's (made in Chinesia also) switched out tomarrow AM for BFG commercials. Along with that we are having the wetbolt kit put on as well.

Id rather have to not spend a vacation somewhere getting towed, tires ordered, 5er fixed, ...ect..ect.

Ounce of preperation = a pound of cure.

Plus... you never know... these types of threads could save a life.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:43 AM   #37
RJI47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6002
Send a message via AIM to RJI47 Send a message via Yahoo to RJI47
I didn't do anything special. I just called their customer service line and asked for a supervisor. The person who answered the phone wouldn't give me one and asked what I wanted. I said what i've stated and he put me on hold for a long time and then had me take the rig to my nearest dealer to have the tires tested for wear. Once they knew the wear the Goodyear dealer called them back and then told me what they would offer. I took the deal and that's the full extent of my knowledge.

DQDICK........... Thanks for this info. It sounds logical and also like a good deal
RJI47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:10 AM   #38
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
Guess I better chime in on this one. I too was worried about exploding tires on my new rig. I changed my new marathons out for 614's with about 400 miles on them. I didn't go the route to try to get Goodyear to credit me on the marathons but the dealer (Discount Tire) gave me $50 for each one. They give the Dodge dealer $50 per tire when they change out the stock new tires for heavy mudders for oil field trucks. They did this for me also. Someone will get a "deal" on slightly used Marathons. No bashing by the manager at the tire store but he did tell me he changed his out too.

My justification: I live in the desert and the hot dry conditions are not a tire's friend, good tire or bad. I also make 2 tight turns EVERY time I return home. I have to turn the rig around in the cul-de-sac to back into my drive. Other option would be to back it up the road (about 1/4 mile). I believe that stocking a machine with a piece of equipment for use in it's upper end of it's use rating is not ever a good idea. Another point not really mentioned about the 614 is that it has steel belts from rim to rim, not just where the rubber meets the road. A trailer flexes and stresses the sidewalls and steel belts instead of nylon sidewall belts make for a much stronger trailer tire. A "G" rated tire for our Monty's is more comfortably in it's usage range too. I do plan to add TPMS to my equipment list (next on my to-do list).
bighornram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:28 AM   #39
GA Mountaineer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11997

This was a ST225/75R15D made in China Marathon, on a 9200# GVWR trailer. The trailer was just shy of 2 years old. Goodyear paid for the damage. The tire was still leaking air when we took the photo.
We at that time made the choice to make the switch to "LT" tires, and purchased 5 BFG Commercial tires and 16" rims We have now run those tires going on 3 years (2 years on the SOB & 7 months on the Mountaineer) with only 1 issue. When I had the tires switched the spare tire belts broke. As that tire had never been on the ground the dealer swapped it out for a new one.
The Marathon's that came on the Mountaineer, 1 short trip. Sold them and the 6 lug wheels on Craig’s list.
In the end we each make our own choices. I don’t have that confidence in the Chinese made tires that I did in the USA made Marathon's. So I wont run them, if you do I hope you have better luck than I did.

2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD
GA Mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:24 PM   #40
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
I think that because of legal liability reasons you will never get a letter from Goodyear admitting to a problem. However, when one of our Marathons failed on the way to last year's Goshen rally, Tredit (US distributor of Goodyear's RV tires) was very helpful at getting us on the road wth new G614's and new wheels to accommodate the G614s' higher pressure rating.
The issue is real and worth repeating to anybody that cares to read these posts. The solution is, unfortunately, completely subject to circumstance, opportunity and who you know. New MOC members reading this thread should congratulate themselves on joining the MOC and reading the (sometimes alarming) posts of thoughtful, experienced RV'ers. Their posts have given me the knowledge and confidence to operate and maintain our big TV and trailer with some foresight to the inevitable problems to come. By joining teh MOC, you have already reached the inside track for getting your issues dealt with.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote