Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2011, 10:11 AM   #1
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Advent Air Conditioner Units

I am thinking of adding a second AC to the 5'er. Have read many of the post on this subject. Talk about a lot to absorb. Based on past post I am sick that Carrier got out of the RV AC business. I ran across the above brand on Tweety's. Love the price but have no info on the unit other than what they write about themselves. Has anyone had any experience with this brand? Please share the pro's and con's. Would appreciate the same for the Coleman AC line. Thanks, Jim

Old 06-26-2011, 12:44 PM   #2
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Why do you love the price? I find Dometic is priced about the same or lower. Nothing against Tweety's, as I just ordered a generator adapter from them about 5 minutes ago. Had a Coleman on our TT, worked just fine. So do both our Dometic units, as long as we maintain them properly.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:06 PM   #3
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Will, It appears the Advent is cheaper because you don't have to buy the inside ceiling unit seperate. Depending on the unit the difference is 90 to 180 dollars. Just don't know anything about the reliability of the Advent. That is why I am seeking others experience and opinion. Jim
Old 06-27-2011, 01:57 AM   #4
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Advent may be wonderful. Never heard of them. Since you already have a Dometic I suggest you stick to one brand. Dometic is a well known brand, ser. available at many places. If your unit has dual zone thermostat, it is probably Dometic, and is probably prewired for Dometic at front vent. Wiring may work very well for Advent but there is the question, still. We added a second Dom. and are very pleased. the dual zone system works very well.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:46 AM   #5
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Agree with dual Dometics. Remove the roof vent and drop in the unit, tie it into the duct work and go. Don't know about Advent, will it fit in the vent without any mods, did have a Coleman on our old TT and it worked fine for 15 years until we traded up. My vote is for the Dometic
Old 06-27-2011, 03:47 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
This is just the latest China rip-off of America.
They dissected the tried and true Dometic unit and copied every aspect of it, down the the foam block used by Dometic for spacing.
They copy the unit, use cheap parts and labor and you get the Advent knock-off.
What do you think of the wonderful knock-off tires the chinamenese folks put out for the RV industry folks?
I don't doubt that the RV builders will go to the Advent, hey, it is put on the market to be cheaper, they always seem to go with the cheapest with these RV's. The China government will cut the price to undercut the Dometic.
Advent is made by the electronics company that makes Jensen products.
Jim I hope you go with the Dometic.
From the Internet:
Dometic is notifying consumers that its Brisk Air RV air conditioner and heat pump models appear to have been counterfeited by a Chinese company. According to a news release issued by Dometic Group, the models are being sold into the RV industry under the brand name Advent.

Brad Sargent, vice president of marketing of Elkhart, Ind.-based Dometic, said the Advent air conditioner “seems to be purposely made to look like our Brisk Air models at a glance in order to trick people into thinking it’s the same product.”

Dometic is evaluating its legal options against the Chinese company and the Advent product, the news release states. In the meantime, Dometic encourages consumers to use caution before purchasing these products.

“Dometic has made a long-term commitment to the industry through its people and operations,” said Doug Whyte, president of Dometic Americas. He urges consumers to be wary of products and organizations with no track record behind them.

ASA Electronic co. Advent A/C units

http://rvdailyreport.com/news/id/134...a-smoke-screen
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:30 AM   #7
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Thanks to all who responded. That is the type of feedback I wanted/needed. Jim