Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2011, 05:44 AM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
About black tank draining

One of the most undesirable tasks on an RV is dumping your waste tanks. All I have to say is get over it and do the job right or suffer the consequences. If you just open the valve, let the effluent flow out without flushing, the black tank is not emptying!

There are other protocols used by different RVers, but here is what works and has worked for me since 2004:
  • Use a clear connection at your discharge nozzle so you can see what you need to see.
  • Use your tank flush every time you dump.
  • Keep flushing until the water runs clear.
It is my considered opinion that if you don't use the tank flush on all or most dumps, you are inviting build up in your tank. When that happens the weight of the accumulate solids begins to cause the tank to sag. As the tank sags, there is less draining and more build up, more sag, etc., until you end up having to replace the tank. If you don't believe this, talk to RV service people who have to make the repairs.

My protocol is to empty the tank and then flush two full potties of water, turn on the tank flush and close the valve. I let the tank flush fill the black tank for 3 or 4 minutes and drain again. I close the valve and then drain the tank like this 4 or 5 times or until I get clear water running through the sight coupling. Caution: do not get distracted while the valve is closed and the flush is running. I only takes one over flow to figure out why.

I also use a four outlet manifold on the water supply so that I can hook up a separate hose on the tank flush. I never use my fresh water hose for anything else. I do not want to invite cross contamination.

One of the first modifications I did to my rig was to install a slide valve at the end of the drain pipe. I close it before I disconnect and open it only after the drain hose is fully connected. This prevents a "pint of surprise" when you take the cap off it.

All you old hands know all this. I posted it for the new folks who are still adapting to RVing in a fifth wheel.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:09 AM   #2
CATCRAW
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11243
Very sound advise. We do a very similar routine and never had any issues with our previous 5th wheel. Just used the tank flush for the first time and it worked great. I too would rather take the time when emptying tanks then to deal with it later when it becomes a problem.
CATCRAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:26 AM   #3
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Good advise Stiles. I too have the slide valve attached at the end of the drain pipe with a clear 45 degree piece. I ensure the valve is closed then I open both gray tank valves. That will let the two gray tanks equalize with content and lets me go longer between dumps. The galley tank usually is not even a 1/4 full when the shower gray tank is full so this lets some of the shower water collect in the galley tank. You do have to remember to close both valves when dumping and only dump one tank at a time. (That is after I have taken care of the black tank.)
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:18 AM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Good advise Stiles,
We also flush untill it's clear water can be seen in the clear elbow, I also the day before I do all that flushing, I close all the gray water tanks, shower and gally, get as much water as possable and use that to help clear out any waist that might have missed there callings to leave. I think a seasoned RVer knows most of this, it the newer RVers that dont get a good lesson in that area from there seller, and stumble the first few times but turn into professional dumpers real quick
Old 06-18-2011, 12:54 PM   #5
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Good advice, Stiles. That's about the way Bob does it, too. Notice I said Bob, not me! LOL
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:02 PM   #6
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Good advice. Don't shun your black tank or it will stun you.

Ijust read Ozz's post on the Intimidator, If you look at his post closely you will see the clear connector we are referring to.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:01 AM   #7
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Can't imagine attempting the job without the clear coupler...heard a "neighbor" say he didn't have one and did not need one..he just "pulls the valve handle and when he HEARS the water stop flowing he closes the valve"...job done!
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:35 PM   #8
MBeaubien
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11424
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

One of the most undesirable tasks on an RV is dumping your waste tanks. All I have to say is get over it and do the job right or suffer the consequences. If you just open the valve, let the effluent flow out without flushing, the black tank is not emptying!

There are other protocols used by different RVers, but here is what works and has worked for me since 2004:
  • Use a clear connection at your discharge nozzle so you can see what you need to see.
  • Use your tank flush every time you dump.
  • Keep flushing until the water runs clear.
It is my considered opinion that if you don't use the tank flush on all or most dumps, you are inviting build up in your tank. When that happens the weight of the accumulate solids begins to cause the tank to sag. As the tank sags, there is less draining and more build up, more sag, etc., until you end up having to replace the tank. If you don't believe this, talk to RV service people who have to make the repairs.

My protocol is to empty the tank and then flush two full potties of water, turn on the tank flush and close the valve. I let the tank flush fill the black tank for 3 or 4 minutes and drain again. I close the valve and then drain the tank like this 4 or 5 times or until I get clear water running through the sight coupling. Caution: do not get distracted while the valve is closed and the flush is running. I only takes one over flow to figure out why.

I also use a four outlet manifold on the water supply so that I can hook up a separate hose on the tank flush. I never use my fresh water hose for anything else. I do not want to invite cross contamination.

One of the first modifications I did to my rig was to install a slide valve at the end of the drain pipe. I close it before I disconnect and open it only after the drain hose is fully connected. This prevents a "pint of surprise" when you take the cap off it.

All you old hands know all this. I posted it for the new folks who are still adapting to RVing in a fifth wheel.
I use the same procedure as Stiles except after dumping and before I finish flushing I pour & flush 6 one gallon containers of water down the toilet. After I've completed flushing all of the tanks I add tank treatment and 1/2 gallon of water to the grey and galley tanks, then tank treatment and 4 gallons of water to the black tank. Adding the 4 gallons of water to the black tank helps protect from buildup by providing a small level of water to the bottom of the tank so that first solids down the toilet will not have as much of a chance to accumulate in one spot. I began adding the 4 gallons of water when we started staying at parks for longer periods & less time on the road, when on the road more often the slosh helps prevent buildup as much. What do the rest of you think of this process ??? I haven't had a problem in almost 2 1/2 years so far. I usually let the tank flush run for at least 30 minutes even though it usually runs clear after 10 to 15 minutes.
MBeaubien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:22 PM   #9
maphillips
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8718
Mr. Stiles Watson, with all due respect, I don't know if this was aimed at me or if it's just a huge coincedence, but I kind of took it that it was for me since I brought up the subject yesterday after having problems with mine draining. First of all, I have always done the job right so I have nothing to get over. Sometimes things just don't work like they are supposed to. Second of all, I am not new to RVing. I have owned an RV off and on for about 20 years, not just since 2004 so I would consider myself an "old hand" as you put it. I have always flushed my black tank after draining. The last time we used it, it was just about 2/3 full when I went to drain and it would not drain anything but a little water. I use the clear attachment, just like you, and flush my tanks, just like you. Like I said, sometimes things just don't work like they're supposed to.
maphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:41 PM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
All the above tips with slight variance. After I see the water running clear I ask DW to do the fill toilet bowl power flush twice. If after the second power flush I see dirty water I ask her to do it again. I have never had to do it a fourth time - yet. I then continue to back flush for a couple more minutes. When through back flushing I'll close the black valve and let the back flush run for 1 minute. More if the pressure is real, real low. It puts about 5 gallons back in the tank.

Besides the typical deodorant I'll add two cap-fulls of Calgon Softener. You would be surprised how much easier it makes it to flush. It also has a lubricating effect on the slide mechanisms and seals - so I think.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:46 PM   #11
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Thanks Stiles that is good advice!
The clear elbow is very helpful for sure.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:16 PM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We were advised over 25 years ago to use a lot of water dump often and flush well. We have not had a problem in 25 years of doing that.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:42 PM   #13
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
maphillips, Your post stimulated me to post what I did. However, the reason I made a separate post rather than reply to yours is that I didn't want you to think I was criticizing, accusing or any other negative implication directed toward you. It was directed, as stated, toward new owners. RV stuff is not always intuitive and I appreciated tips form those who had been around. Sorry if you took offense. No defense is necessary.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 04:32 AM   #14
jdvier
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10130
I too flush my tank. I drain it and then fill it to full and drain it again. I do this at least twice. So far no problems.
Has anyone put anything in that can or will break up the solids and any build up. Would the live bacteria used in septics work? I would think that using it and letting it set for a week or so it may help with any build up.
Just a thought.
God bless the Republic
CMSgt, retired
jdvier is offline   Reply With Quote