Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2011, 09:07 AM   #21
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
I ordered some from Doug Valdez on Ebay. in quantities of 8 or more, he only charged shipping once, not per item. If you leave him a message on Ebay, use his and my name (Michael Taylor) and you may get them a little cheaper (I paid a little less than he is asking for them). I told him that I would post to the MOC once I was completely satisfied. They work very well and I am pleased.

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:32 AM   #22
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by snfexpress

I ordered some from Doug Valdez on Ebay. in quantities of 8 or more, he only charged shipping once, not per item. If you leave him a message on Ebay, use his and my name (Michael Taylor) and you may get them a little cheaper (I paid a little less than he is asking for them). I told him that I would post to the MOC once I was completely satisfied. They work very well and I am pleased.
Sweet! I have some coming, I will see how they look and work, but this has merit. Thanks Michael. Hi Kathy!
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:53 AM   #23
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Something interesting I saw at an RV show lately on a SOB was factory installed rope lights. I am testing my memory here on the 3400RL, but I think that it had a lip (foot-kick??) at the bottom of the counter. The SOB I saw had the rope lights installed beneath the cabinet at the top of the foot-kick which gave a real subdued lighting effect that originated on the floor (great for those late-night trips to the fridge!!). I have to admit it looked pretty good. I cannot for the life of me remember if the cabinetry in the 3750 is constructed the same way but I don't think so. This may be an attractive alternative on some models.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:28 PM   #24
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We installed LED 12v rope lighting under the lip of the kitchen counter:

Because we, too, like to boondock, every bit of juice we can save is a plus for us. We have two Honda gensets to power our rig when off grid.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:10 PM   #25
Wiesehan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9711
Send a message via Yahoo to Wiesehan
I purchased sone LED's since we were going to be in RGV and wanted to save a little on electric as well as times when we dry camp. They are too expensive and they don't put out enough light. I replace some with the standard bulbs because they didn't put out enough light to read. They are to small for a boat anchor and to expensive to throw away!
Don
Wheel to wheel SS side bars
Wiesehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:31 PM   #26
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
The number of lumens is the key term in determining if the LED light you are purchasing is adequate for your needs. That is why I have spent a lot of time researching suppliers. The lights I mentioned above are 240 lumens; this is equivalent to a 20 watt halogen bulb. Since the bulbs that came with our unit were just 10 watt halogens, we were pleased with the increased light output.

The other key thing to check is the temperature; we chose warm white which is compatible with most general light bulbs we use in everyday life. Some of the real cheap LED lights are Cool white which is more blue in color.

Finally, we actually wanted some heat generation from the LED bulbs so that moisture from humidity trapped in the fixtures would not build up. These bulbs put out just enough heat to accomplish this, but not nearly the amount that a 20 watt halogen bulb would.

For us, the costs were reasonable (about $8 per bulb; we were replacing halogen bulbs at $5 per, about every 8 months). We also purchased T2 and automotive base bulbs to complete the change out of our rig. We now have 100% 12 volt LED bulbs and 95% 120 volt CFL bulbs.

Everyone's mileage may vary, so choose wisely...
Old 03-03-2011, 04:21 PM   #27
afzimm
Established Member

M.O.C. #10901
I like the LED lights under the counter that some of you guys have installed. They look cool and give subdued lighting that is perfect for watching TV or just relaxing after the campfire has burned down.
I want to put LED lights inside my fridge. Do some of you own or have you seen the nice bright LEDs inside the newest generation of refrigerators? How would a guy go about installing these in an RV fridge? Are there any companys offering kits yet?
Scared of the dark
afzimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:42 AM   #28
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by afzimm

I like the LED lights under the counter that some of you guys have installed. They look cool and give subdued lighting that is perfect for watching TV or just relaxing after the campfire has burned down.
I want to put LED lights inside my fridge. Do some of you own or have you seen the nice bright LEDs inside the newest generation of refrigerators? How would a guy go about installing these in an RV fridge? Are there any companys offering kits yet?
Scared of the dark
These motion detector lights would work well, you open the door and they would sense motion.
I posted the store link in a new post.
This should scare the gremlins out of the frig
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote