Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2010, 11:30 AM   #1
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
Maiden Voyage Over

Well, the maiden voyage is over

We took the monty to my Dad's place in NY for a week. We only had 20 amp service and water hookup but that was fine as long as you watched what you were running (electrically). We have some tweaking to do, but not much at all...everything performed quite well, with only a few minor bugs to work out. I've listed them below, maybe some here can provide some insight/opinions. We had rain, high winds, temps down to 30...but we were impressed with the comfort level we had. Left the monty there, as we are returning next week for another stay. Biggest mod we faced while there was the ramp for the dogs....they are old (14), and I had to forget the fancy store bought ramp and build one for them to get in and out.

Now, looking for advice on the following:

* We had a new awning (fabric) installed before we picked it up. It was "out" when we did the inspection...when we got there and went to put it out, that little lever wouldn't pull all the way down with the rod..seems like the awning needs to be "up" farther, so when you pull that lever it clicks all the way down...now you can only pull it about 1/2 way, and it's not far enough..I went up on a ladder, and simply pulled it down with my hand, then it worked fine?

* Second issue..if it even is one...fireplace puts out nice heat, but seems like it could use a bigger fan? Doesn't seem to push the heat out very far. I'd guess you can feel it about maybe 10 inches out. Is this normal ?

* Third issue..and I already know the answer...thermostat is terrible, will be installing a digital one next week when we go back. Fluctuates 10 degrees ! Unacceptable.

Thanks for any feedback !
Bill

Wild Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:17 PM   #2
iowaone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8421
Fireplace seems right, they do not put out much flow. Noticeably butnot a blast like some small heaters do. If you increase fan size and air volume it is likely the air coming out would be cooler. Only so many btus in there.
iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:22 PM   #3
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Bill,
We found that although the fireplace fan doesn't push out air at volume, it does a pretty darn good job taking the chill out of the trailer. At 5100 BTU, too much fan will only serve to cool the air coming from the fireplace.
Jim
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:00 PM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Glad you had a great trip. Looking forward to hooking up with you again.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:23 AM   #5
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Bill, Don't forget to plug the hole where the thermostat wire comes through the wall. My experience as well as many others on this forum have found that to be the biggest cause of temp. fluctuation. Jim
Old 05-13-2010, 01:36 AM   #6
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
Hi John ! Sent you a message...

Thanks for the input on the thermostat and the fireplace. Sounds like the fireplace is operating normal...you'd think they could've boosted that air volume at least a little more. I'm going to investigate it a little more, maybe mine isn't working well. I went to turn it off, and grabbed the grate to open...grabbed it over by where the heat comes out and dang near got branded !

Wild Horse is offline   Reply With Quote