Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2010, 09:12 AM   #1
danandbetty
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10132
How useful is a CB radio?

Anyone find a CB useful in your travels? Do folks even use them anymore? I used to use one when I had a SOB MH some years ago but I recall a lot of interference problems (sun spots, etc.) and wonder if they're useful these days while on the road. For the most part a cell phone gets the job done but they kinda have different purposes.

Bottom line is that I'm wondering if I should install one in my TV as I prepare to head out this year.

danandbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:53 AM   #2
1Happycamper
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6880
Hi danandbetty

I always have a cb in the truck when travelling. When we encounter heavy traffic or stop and go traffic I can find out what is going on and what lane to get into.

Bill
1Happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:55 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Dan,
First Welcome Home.
Second, my wife does not like the static and foul mouths. I do use them for road conditions and have gotten help from truckers when trapped in traffic once in a while.
So not essential but useful when used.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:57 AM   #4
tkditta

M.O.C. #7627
I have one in my truck, I only use when the traffic starts to back up I want to know what lane is block and what lane to be in.
tkditta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:10 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I have one but it recently stopped working. I used it for local communications to get road status or traffic conditions. I also monitor trucker channels to listen for chatter about road traffic and not necessarily to talk back. They are definitely not as popular as they used to be, but we include it in the just-in-case-we-need-one category since we also have cell phones (point to point) and FMRS radios.

I'll eventually figure out what's wrong and start using it again.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:58 AM   #6
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 1Happycamper

Hi danandbetty

I always have a cb in the truck when travelling. When we encounter heavy traffic or stop and go traffic I can find out what is going on and what lane to get into.

Bill
Same here...they can be very usefull.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 02:31 PM   #7
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Welcome danandbetty. I have one for just about the same reasons stated above.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 02:33 PM   #8
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I enjoy using one. I think the greatest thing about it is having the weather warning on there, although it kind of annoys the D/W when it alarms.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:40 PM   #9
danandbetty
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10132
Thanks for the welcome home John. Welcome home to you too! I'm glad all that is history and that we're better men as a result of those experiences.

Thanks for the answers, all. I think I'll install one with the idea that it has an on-off switch so I don't have to put up with the junk talk when I don't want it.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:53 PM   #10
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Do those that have the CBs in their TVs have the full units or the portable handheld units? I have a full unit but really don't want to drill the holes to mount it if possible! I've been thinking of getting a good handheld unit I can plug into the cigarette lighter when needed and when not store it away under the back seat or somewhere convenient to get to easily. What are your opinions of the handheld units? We carry a set of the walkie talkies that have a range of 10 miles or so in the cab also but I don't think those will contact any truckers if info is needed on a tie up or anyting else, or will they?
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 03:56 PM   #11
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Suggest you look at something like the Cobra one-hander unless you want a big box. Camping World had them when I bought mine.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 05:13 PM   #12
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
We carry a handheld in the truck for emergency use. They work OK but their range is very limited. We also have a regular CB that we can use if we're caravaning or traveling with friends. We just set it on the dash, it has the non-skid pad under it, and use a magnet mount antenna. It has a cigarette lighter plug on it. We had the CB mounted in the old truck and very seldom used it. When we got the new truck there wasn't anyplace it would fit neatly.
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:38 PM   #13
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
It sounds like everyone is using it for the same reasons. I mainly use ours for entertainment purposes (truckers are great you no), and to find out if there are any problems on the road in font of us. Other than that I will us it if traveling with someone else or not at all.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:50 PM   #14
K&Gs3400RL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9671
Use mine for traffic slowdowns and traveling with others, thats about it.
K&Gs3400RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 01:50 AM   #15
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I'm with Grumpy on the usage. In a traffic jam, you can find out the cause and whether you need to change lanes ahead of time.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 02:42 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes we have always had one. It is but another tool to aid in travel. IMO they are even more useful than they were years ago. Most of the foul mouthing and BS is gone and of course they have that on--off switch or turn the squelch up. The CB is along with the GPS, TPMS and useful tool.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:26 AM   #17
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
We use ours a lot while traveling. I agree with Rich that the BS and language has calmed down in recent years but you do get more "chatter" when close to the larger truck stops.

I use ours to try and avoid those traffic back ups before I get caught in them. The truckers don't want to sit in traffic either and can usually recomend a good detour. I have also found it useful in finding restaurants, fuel stops and other "local information". I have mine turned on channel 19 all the time while traveling because the truckers can give you a heads up on a problem with your rig before you realize you have a problem.

We often travel with another couple and the CB gives us a means of communication between the rigs.

wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:07 AM   #18
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Yeah, me too, just for situations. They can be good for convoying. You can pick a channel not often used. Mine is hard wired into an upfitter switch in the dash. It is an all-in-one hand held unit by Cobra. If I am running with it on, I have the squelch set fairly high. Have to check it now and then to see if it is still working.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:27 AM   #19
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Quote:
quote:By richfaa

Yes we have always had one. It is but another tool to aid in travel. IMO they are even more useful than they were years ago. Most of the foul mouthing and BS is gone and of course they have that on--off switch or turn the squelch up. The CB is along with the GPS, TPMS and useful tool.
I agree with Rich, I have had one in every vehicle I have ever owned. I bought my first CB in 1976, a 23 channel Cobra, and installed it in my first vehicle, a 1971 Datsun pickup. That little pickup was a sight to behold, chrome reverse wheels, baby moon hubcaps, tires wide on rear narrow on front, VW pipes (the kind that turned out to each side on the rear of the bug) for side pipes, and Twin Hustler antennas for the CB. I have learned much since those days, about pickups and CB's both . My current one actually isn't a CB at all, it's a 6 band, 240 channel Connex 10 meter, with one band converted to 11 meter for CB (I'll probably get dinged by the Ham guys for that one). I keep it on the CB band most of the time, but occasionally, when conditions are right, I switch to the others to hear the Ham guys.
I have a CB in my Polaris Ranger also, and have been trying to get my DW to let me put one of the base stations in the Montana. That way, while I'm out galavanting around the hills, she can call me when it's time to eat . She keeps saying something about me not leaving camp without her .

LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:34 AM   #20
danandbetty
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10132
Hey Stiles - is that the Cobra 75 compact? I was thinking about that one because I'd like to avoid having a 'big hunky' radio that is a mounting challenge in terms of finding a mounting location that isn't in the way. Do you need an external speaker in order to hear it well? I've heard those are a nice radio except it's sometimes the speaker is lacking and it requires a small external speaker which could be another mounting issue.

All in all I'm thinking a CB radio has it's uses and may be worth the expenditure. Antanna hight clearance shouldn't be a proglem because it's not like I can park my dually in a garage anyway.