Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2014, 04:51 PM   #1
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
this really stinks

Well it happened, hooked up the black tank flush to agitate the tank before pulling the valve to dump. Tank wasn't full so i let the flush run for about 5 min. just as i reached for the valve i heard a pop, following the pop was my wife screaming water was running out from under the trailer. so i cut hole in the underbelly and a lot of sewer stuff came out. Guess my vent pipe must have been clogged or the tank couldn't take the weight. Anyway how much for the tank and the corrugated under belly. Is this a very difficult job?

thanks guys

kevin

swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:01 PM   #2
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Suggest you find where it seperated as many time it can be patched.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:45 AM   #3
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
If you need to replace it, try here: http://www.icondirect.com/categories...Holding-Tanks/
Old 07-12-2014, 01:10 AM   #4
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
You will probably find that the flusher is loose at its connection. Not difficult to repair.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:16 AM   #5
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I have taken the underbelly off to take apart and fix a black water tank valve that was jammed up with tissue ,it is not hard to take off the underbelly just time consuming get the hose out because you are going to have a mess under there and also you will have to buy some new foil insulation at Home depot ,etc... it comes in big rolls and is not very expensive....good luck finding and fixing(if you can) the split,It happened my Neighbors SOB and after taking the underbelly off he could see and feel with his fingers where it split at the top seam where it lays on the lip of the support beam on the side, he was able to patch it and it is holding so far as I know
Old 07-20-2014, 06:22 AM   #6
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
Update well the fishing trip is over so now the black tank issue. This happened the night before we were to leave for a fishing trip to NY for a week. So i cut the under belly off so every thing would dry out. sprayed everything down with bleach and went fishing. I found a part # and company name on the tank (Ameri-Kart) part # HT543-1 and a phone number. So I will be doing this myself, so are there any tips, tricks or do this and not this by people who have done the job. Seems pretty straight forward from what i see, but experience is always good. Oh, I was a great week of fishing.

kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:40 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The cost of our two failed tanks on the 2013 3402 Big sky were 132.00 each gray and galley. they did NOT fail at the inlet but both had splits in the tanks. The gray about half way up and the galley had one at the very bottom and one about half way up. The tanks were from Ameri-kart not far from the Montana factory. Our underbelly is one piece and it was not all that easy to take off. The good news was they did not fail at the inlet. The bad news is they were both defective tanks.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:36 PM   #8
Chasnracin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12394
Watching this post (though at a distance!)

2013 F350 SRW King Ranch
2011 3400RL
Chasnracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:18 PM   #9
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
That's how I popped my Black tank, except I had Mike Thompson do mine. BIG MISTAKE!!! there is a hand written number in yellow crayon that is the number that the manufacture wants, Mike T didn't do that they ordered the wrong tank, they ordered the gray tank so I had another two weeks wait. good luck if you do it your self do a dry fit and mark where the holes should be cut for the vent and 3" waist pipe then drop and cut the holes and glue.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:05 AM   #10
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Had split in 2007 on our 2005 3400RL Monty in our black tank....man it was not a fun job. I tried to repair/replace but had to yield to a repairman. I was born and raised on a farm, but just could not make the work happen under there. Guess I have turned into a "wuse" in my old age. God Bless those who can work in that mess!!!
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:23 AM   #11
cmanger319
Established Member

M.O.C. #13237
I just had the same exact problem. And yes it does stink. I dropped the belly. Then I scrubbed the belly and the radiant barrier. I hosed the underside of the trailer. Lots of wires and hoses down there that were very good a trapping toilet paper. Again not much fun. The good news is I have a 3900FB so I still had a facility that could be used. I could reach up and feel a split on top of the tank. I removed the two bolts holding the center beam in place, removed the bolts at the valve and then cut the ABS where it entered the tank from the toilet and the vent and the tank dropped down. I then could see the tank top split all down the length of the top of the tank. After laying there and considering my options, I decided to hard plumb the toiled to the valve. In my case I use our Monty as a park model. It stays at our resort full time. I have eliminated the tank and it works great. I realize this solution is not for everyone, but it sure solved a number of issues for me.
cmanger319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:05 AM   #12
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I'm late to this thread, but now would be an excellent time to add some reinforcement to the seam of the tank and put some straps under it for extra support.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote