Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #1
Biggjb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9851
Replacement of plumbing vent

I replaced a plumbing vent on my 5er. I have a rubber roof and before I replaced the vent a few people have told me to use mineral spirits to cleanup the old dicor before putting down the new dicor. I removed the old vent with very little trouble. I then cleaned up the old dicor as best I could before putting down the new. I let it evaporate for a good 10 - 15 minutes and then proceeded to put the new vent in place. When it was done, it looked pretty darn good...however, I went back up to a look 10 hours later and I was not happy with what I saw. It loos as though the edges are all blistered and puffy. The rubber roof looks as though the glue holding it down is gone. Did I do something wrong and should I take the vent out and glue the roof back down or just leave it alone. I don't think it will leak, but it doesn't look great like the other vents

Biggjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:17 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
When I repaired a friends roof, I just used simple green to clean the roof area I repaired, I dried it real good with rags, then put the self-leveling Dicor caulk down. I would hesitate to use any chemical cleaner. I don't know if that is why it bubbled, but I would remove the blisters the best you can and apply more Dicor.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/oZ7QMgNjcH9DQ2x23Kj_yNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=d irectlink
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:18 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Mineral spirits is a petroleum distillate based solvent. I use it to clean my paint brushes and it seems to leave a slightly oily feel to the brush. For oil based paints that is no problem. But for cleaning something like the roof, in your case, I would be afraid it would leave some oily remnant on the surface unless you cleaned it with something to remove the oil such as alcohol or non-oil based cleaner.
Haven't used Dicor. But when I used Eternabond to patch a small hole in the roof, I used a household cleaner to clean the surrounding area followed by alcohol to remove any possible oil in the area before putting down the Eternabond.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:38 AM   #4
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Here is an article regarding petroleum distillates and EPDM roofing. It talks about what it sounds like you are experiencing.

Usually some soap, water, and a scrub brush is all that's needed.
Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:27 AM   #5
Biggjb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9851
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gkerlin

Here is an article regarding petroleum distillates and EPDM roofing. It talks about what it sounds like you are experiencing.

Usually some soap, water, and a scrub brush is all that's needed.
Thanks Gkirlen for the article. Good news is the blistering on my roof is limited to just the area around the vent. I had visions of the blistering propogating over the roof. Next time I replace a vent or anything else on the roof I will not clean with minirel spirits but just good old fashion soap and water.
Biggjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:31 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Maybe not directly applicable to this situation but you might also avoid anything with citrus or citrus smell. At one of the rallies Dicor told us never to clean the roof with anything citrus because birds and squirrels think there is fruit under there and go digging and pecking into the roof material.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote