Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2013, 09:20 AM   #1
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
High Country 343rl owners

I would like to hear from anyone who has a 2013 343rl about your likes and dislikes of the unit.

We have been considering a new unit. Really liked the Montana 3100rl but not completely sold on it. We are vacationing without the Montana right now in Myrtle Beach and, ya all heard this story before, went to Camping World today just to look. They did have a High Country 343RL which was high on the list last year before we spotted the 3100RL. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the Montana line but considering everything, it very well could work. One of the BIG factors I consider important is the weight factor. I have a 2955rl and the pin weight is obscene. We had it weighed at the 2011 Fall Rally and it sent me for a loop.

Could go on rambling but would like to hear from the 343rl owners or anyone else that would like to chime in.

Thanks. JM

Old 04-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
okierver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11127
dont have your 343rl but we do have a 2011 montana high country 323rl baught feb 2011, have had about 3300 miles onit the last 2 yrs. and love it love the quality being a montana, plus the weight is great, no problems major wise yet. just repacked the wheel bearings and checked everything for 1st time and looks good, no problem with tires yet, only item was graphics but replaced under warranty. love the unit .
okierver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:14 AM   #3
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Send a message via MSN to grayghost03
We have the 2012 343RL, love it. We do have gelcoat fade on front cap, that is being addressed through dealer. This has been the most trouble free unit we have ever had. I have done some mods to make it more user friendly for us, such as adding shelving, backsplash for stove, quad steps, etc, just things we thought would make life easier.
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:21 PM   #4
subra1228
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10766
Hi!
We have a 343RL and really like it. We like the floorplan, although find the bedroom a bit cramped. However, as you are aware, we gave up some bedroom space for the all-in-one bathroom. We never thought we'd like the island, but do not find the "inside" cramped at all. We have had some problems - more than any previous rig (not Monty's), but we're still positive.

We went with no fireplace - gives us more storage room.

Let us know if you have any specific questions~
Suzanne
subra1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:20 PM   #5
davidfrafaly
Established Member

M.O.C. #12355
I know you wanted feedback on the 343RL but..... we were looking at 343Rl for weight compared to Montana 3400 RL until we went into the Montana 3100RL.
We liked the openness of 3100 RL. Bought 2012 3100RL. Have been very pleased. The 343 is a very nice unit. Spend as much time as you can in unit before you buy. Both are nice quality units. All have compromises. Good luck.
davidfrafaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:40 PM   #6
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Send a message via MSN to Rainer
After walking through a myriad of units, we discovered and fell in love with the 343RL. Just to be sure, we looked at even more units, but always came back to the 343RL. It became the standard by which we measured everything else.

I understand that folks have their own wishes and desires, and why some folks like green cars and other red ones, but for us the 343RL was a perfect match.

When we decided to buy, we tried to buy it locally, but the local dealers' prices were way too high. I discovered this after an Internet search to determine what other dealers were asking for the exactly identically equipped unit. One dealer tried to convince us that once we bought from them, we'd be part of their family, unfortunately it would have cost us $15K to join their family. So we ended up driving a 1000 mile round trip to pick ours up just 10 days ago.

What we like about the 343RL, first off the weight, which starts out at less than 10K pounds dry, and the hitch weight is just over 1700 pounds. Perfect for my 2012 Ford F-250 crewcab shortbed 4x4 diesel. Next, with 4 slides, the interior room is massive. The living room is probably bigger than our stick house living room! And with it's fireplace, big screen TV, computer nook it is just like home.

We're owners of a 30' travel trailer so it is an upgrade for us to go to the 5th wheel. We're transferring the satellite and solar systems from the TT to the new Monte. We've also added a 6500 watt generator, second AC, slide out awning toppers, 2 - 6v batteries, surge protection, a TPMS, LED lights throughout, and a few more thing babies.

Yet we've only spent one night in it - on the trip back from the purchase, but we were in seventh heaven when compared to our old TT. On Sunday were headed out for a week in Zion where we'll really give it a shake down trip before we take off for our annual big trip this summer.

Remember, your mileage may vary.
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
The neighbors we worked with this winter had a brother who had one and really liked it. Also reported no appreciable problems. That's what got my neighbors over to look at our rig and of course liked the weight of the brothers rig better than the weight of ours.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote