Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2010, 09:57 PM   #1
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
Keep a mismatched spare under the Monty?

We lost a tire today on I-5, north of Corning, CA. Luckily, Mariana noticed the billows of smoke and I pulled over as the Marathon tire was breaking up. The good tire rubbed the paint from the skirt, but did not damage it. We had no other damage. Good Sam road service had us on the road within an hour of the blow out (blow up?).

I read again many of the tire-related posts on the forum. While the Marathons may not be as bad as the Missions, they also seem prone to failure (our tire had about 6700 miles of use). We're on the Rogue River tonight and I plan to replace the tires with Bridgestone Duravis R500s later this morning. The replacements are slightly taller than the Marathons. I'm considering keeping the Marathon spare. If I later had a tire failure, would using, for short distances, or at least at low speeds, a 235/80/16 spare with three 235/85/16 tires work out? Inquiring minds want to know.

Bill

Lije Baley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:40 AM   #2
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
In as much as each tires turns independently of the others, IMHO it would be ok to use the oddball tire until you can get the failed tire repaired or replaced- You are using the oddball tire much as a "tempaspare" is used on many autos- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:43 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I kept my Mission spare when bought new tires for the ground. If I ever use it at all, it will only be to get me to a tire store.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:55 AM   #4
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Bill, from my point of view (and, legally, that has no standing), it's like using a well used tire with a new tire. If they were duals or on an axle with a differential, that could cause trouble. But as Don said, when they turn independently... It only amounts to a quarter inch difference in axle height when both tires are new.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:30 AM   #5
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
Thanks to all for the reassurance. We're calling tire dealers around the Grants Pass area. Looks like Bridgestone is unavailable till tomorrow, but we can get the Firestone Transforce today. We'll check Costco when they open for their alternatives.

Where would we be without the internet and cell phones?

Old 09-08-2010, 06:35 AM   #6
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
We have Firestone Transforce on our Monty- 10k miles so far- No problems so far and wear is miniscule- JMHO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:17 AM   #7
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
We kept the Good Year Marathon tire as a spare(new) There is so little difference in circumference between the LT and St tire that it would not do any harm to a tandem suspension. One will likely do more harm by having the front of the Monty riding to high or to low causing more weight transfer to one axle than the other.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:41 AM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Yup, I would think this should be okay. I would compare it to those cheater spares used in automobiles which are designed for temporary short distance use, like getting to the tire store. And at least this Marathon tire is designed for its share of weight of a trailer to get you to the tire store. It might not be the exact size of the other tires, but the difference is minimal, certainly better than the cheater spares for cars.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:49 AM   #9
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
When mine blew, I refused to have anything labled Marathon on the trailer. I changed the spare also. I wouldn't trust those chinese road bombs as far as I could throw them.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:31 PM   #10
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Bill & Mariana,
Sorry to hear of your tire troubles. Keeping the Marathon as a spare shouldn't present any issues. As others have stated, you would be using it only as a "temporary" anyway. By the way, I will be spending Sunday night (12 Sept) at 7 Feathers on my way to N. California. Will you be in the area?
Jack
Old 09-09-2010, 06:29 PM   #11
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Well, I got rid of all those funky tires and bought 5 new Goodyear G614's. At least the spare will get me a little further down the road to a reputable dealer rather than a "Have to" guy in some small town somewhere. Just thought I'd give another opinion, for whatever that's worth......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:57 AM   #12
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
Being that it's usualy age rather than miles that kills most RV tires I have always replaced all of them at the same time, even if the spare has never touched ground. Nothing would be worse than to put on a spare and have it go bad right away.

I've had three blowouts in my RV career. None of them have been fun.

I will never ever in a million years put Chinese tires on an RV.
MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:50 PM   #13
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Rubber tires will last a long time if kept in the dark or in the shade out of the sun's rays. With the spare tucked up under the suspension there is no chance for the sun to get at that spare.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:37 AM   #14
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
Costco answered my question with its inventory. The Medford store had FOUR Bridgestone Duravis R500 tires that had been special ordered and not picked up. They also had a discount going on the purchase of 4 Bridgestones. I've kept the Marathon as a spare for now. With luck, none of the new tires will need replacement and my question about keeping the spare will remain academic.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:44 PM   #15
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
I changed to commercial T/A's and kept the old spare. You will be fine!
mtpocket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:34 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bill, I am not an expert but was told by the service manager at the Keystone Service Center several years ago to NOT run mismatched tires on the same axle, which is exactly what would happen when you use that spare.

He told me that when I stopped in their place and asked some questions. I had bought a used tire on a Sunday morning after a flat and put that on the axle instead of using my spare. The original tires on that particular Montana (not our current one) were load range D. The new used tire was load range E. This was in the state of Montana. A few months later we were tearing up tires on that axle and were passing Goshen, IN so I stopped in to ask some questions. I was told that mismatched tires have different rolling resistance and thus can create a stronger pull on one side than the other and end of throwing the axle out of alignment. I swapped out the tire for the right load range, got the axle realigned and had no more problems.

Whether that info is accurate I don't know but this guy knows his stuff so I believe him. Maybe using that spare for a short distance would not be a problem. Just be aware and get it off there soon as you can.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:20 PM   #17
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
Steve,

After one Marathon blow-out, I'll be cautious if I need to use the spare. It's close to a match. Same "E" load rating, and very close in size to the new tires. After Jack Flash's experience with the G614, even LT tires bear watching in the sideview mirrors.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:43 PM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Yep, after our @2100 blowout last April (and that doesn't even include tire replacement!) I watch our tires even more closely. We now have the G614's but his picture just goes to show any model and any brand can have a failure. But I'm a whole lot more comfortable no longer running Chinese tires. Every blowout we've ever had on an RV has involved a Chinese tire. So far, anyhow!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote