Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2010, 06:57 AM   #1
Debbie Asher
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6167
New Glass2

Has anyone tried this product called NewGlass2 Fiberglass restoration. It's suppose to make you RV Shine like new with No compounding, No Waxing and No buffing. I saw this product in the new Highways magazine. The front cap of our rig has really taken a beating and doesn't shine like it use to.

Debbie Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:43 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I have not used it but am also interested in hearing from those who have tried it.

Here's a youtube link showing how it was used on an old fishing boat. I think this video was probably made by the Newglass2 manufacturer.

The end result is impressive but the steps make me wonder if it's really any different than the old method of compounding, cleaning, then applying polish or wax.

Their first step is to use an "abrasive cleaner." In the video they use Soft Scrub, not a newglass2 product. After rinsing they then use a newglass2 cleaner to clean off the compounding residue. Then they apply multiple coats of newglass2 finish restorer (something like that) with each coat making the finish look better than the prior coat.

It strongly reminds me of compounding, cleaning, polishing. What sealed this thought for me was the video's comment that when done you "have a beautiful finish that will last for months."

But I may be overly suspicious so look forward to hearing from those with actual experience with the product.

Debbie, thanks for bringing this up. Our Montana's nose is getting rather dull, also.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:52 PM   #3
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
steve, if you hear anymore on this please post it, the nose on ours is pretty dull now after a sandstorm in New Mexico and 35+ thousands miles of bugs and whatnot.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:59 PM   #4
Debbie Asher
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6167
I think John and I will go ahead and buy some of this NewGlass2 and see how it goes. Hopefully it will make the nose of the rig look like new again or a least shine. Our decals on the front are pretty faded and the sides of the rig the decals are starting to peel off. John wants to have all of the decals taken off and have someone paint the mountains and stuff on the rig. He scares me sometimes with his ideas.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:29 AM   #5
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
I think John has a good idea- Probably not cheap, but should last in MHO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:29 AM   #6
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
In the video they mentioned that the new finish would last for months. I'm just curious as to what that means, 3mos, 6mos, 12mos!! That is a lot of work if it only lasts a few months, but if it lasts at least a year it might be worth it.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:45 AM   #7
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PapaBeav

In the video they mentioned that the new finish would last for months. I'm just curious as to what that means, 3mos, 6mos, 12mos!! That is a lot of work if it only lasts a few months, but if it lasts at least a year it might be worth it.
Normally, I would cite my interpretation of manufacturer's "weasel words" as months meaning two. Just like when they advertise "Pennies on the Dollar" which could mean $.98. However for a product like this, a definitive time would be hard to guesstimate as it would depend greatly on factors they can't control, namely the weather and more importantly, how often you wash the rig.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:09 PM   #8
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Here is what the Sailboatowners has to say about his product.

Top-rated by Practical Sailor, makes older boats look like new

NewGlass2 is an acrylic coating that brings a new-boat shine to older fiberglass. Just wipe it on and walk away. The shine lasts 12 months or more -- guaranteed!

NewGlass2 is proven longer-lasting than the original formula. It works on any color and makes faded colors look deeper and more even. While it does not remove oxidation, the coating does retard oxidation longer than boat waxes. It also helps protect gel coat from rust, salt, and moisture, all factors that contribute to blistering and hairline cracks. One quart of NewGlass2 will restore a 32’ to 40’ boat.

But hey, why believe us? Read what Practical Sailor had to say.

Also, see the application directions for a thorough understanding of NewGlass2.

If you are not satisfied with a NewGlass2 product return it for a 100% refund.

Please note: Due to the nature of this product, it cannot be shipped when day or night time temperatures are going to drop below 34 degrees. This may cause a delay in the shipment of your product during the winter months.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:52 PM   #9
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
If not mistaken , Poliglow works the same way,, goes on the same way, several coats. I have seen the poliglow work on my sons boat, and it worked very well . His boat was pretty oxidized , and it really shined it up, and brought the color out. He tried a lot of different things, and Poliglow worked the best .This Newglass2 appears to be the same type product.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:45 AM   #10
Debbie Asher
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6167
After looking at Poliglow vs NewGlass2 decided to try Poliglow based on PSFORD99 son usig it on his boat. Ordered it today seems to be a little more expensive then NewGlass2 but your getting the cleaner, pads etc with Poliglow. Will let you know how it worked out.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:38 PM   #11
clarkandsheila
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7994
There is another product called Vertglass which has been around many years, also reviewed by Practical Sailor, if I remember right, in the same issue. Never used any of them on my boat - WAX and lots of it and the trailer now gets the same.

May try these things as the gelcoat deteriorates though.
clarkandsheila is offline   Reply With Quote