Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2020, 09:55 AM   #41
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
A given few on the MOC beat the drum and crash the cymbals on their personal ideals of what works best on our RV's. Some MOC members (including me) are well known for their take on various issues including IS verses spring and shackle. I will agree IS is an addition that makes a difference. But ... attempt not to word your response like it is the only answer and any other money spent like springs, X-Factor, LRE-4000, EZ Flex, Equa-flex, or wet bolts is just throw away. Some owners that pull their RV are their own main cause of how the unit rides down the road. I know of a couple of guys that hook up and head out to a destination HAMMER DOWN ... bad roads, curbs, guard poles, debris on the highway, or whatever else is of no concern till they unhook while the RV is "still panting" and find a shackle bolt or spring broken. The immediate conclusion ... "bad design". Anyways ... I could envision a cup still sitting on a countertop after a pull no matter what suspension the RV is sitting on and there's nothing sarcastic about that. Currently yielding the floor and stepping away from the podium.

dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:25 AM   #42
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
A given few on the MOC beat the drum and crash the cymbals on their personal ideals of what works best on our RV's. Some MOC members (including me) are well known for their take on various issues including IS verses spring and shackle. I will agree IS is an addition that makes a difference. But ... attempt not to word your response like it is the only answer and any other money spent like springs, X-Factor, LRE-4000, EZ Flex, Equa-flex, or wet bolts is just throw away. Some owners that pull their RV are their own main cause of how the unit rides down the road. I know of a couple of guys that hook up and head out to a destination HAMMER DOWN ... bad roads, curbs, guard poles, debris on the highway, or whatever else is of no concern till they unhook while the RV is "still panting" and find a shackle bolt or spring broken. The immediate conclusion ... "bad design". Anyways ... I could envision a cup still sitting on a countertop after a pull no matter what suspension the RV is sitting on and there's nothing sarcastic about that. Currently yielding the floor and stepping away from the podium.

Talking to a reputable RV repair here locally, his take on suspensions was short of the IS ,the LRE MorRyde was as good as it gets. I can't disagree . My previous Montana had the LRE ,and in 12 years ,not an issue. Yes I did some things to it. My present fifth wheel has had a couple things done to the suspension, not too the extent I did on the old Montana.

I suppose if we did a survey, the percentage of upgrade to the IS is going to be pretty small, as well as the problems people have with the conventional suspension, small percentage. Doesn't change the fact of someone having issues ,and wanting to avoid further problems. I do not belong to that group. Over the past 50 years towing a variety of trailers , I have yet to have a failure, so my money goes elsewhere ,not in upgraded suspension . Actually the most money I have ever spent ,was a wet bolt kit for my previous Montana fifth wheel, and IMO the best money I have ever spent on the suspension .

I have been fortunate, I have fabricated many things ,being in the steel fabrication business for over 42 years . I understand bracing, welding etc. I fabricated the X-factor style bracing, it was scrap pieces from where I worked As well as the Steadfast style stabilizers. Its not a big deal being able to gusset the spring hangers ,frame etc.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 11:46 PM   #43
Livin'

M.O.C. #21506
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
I can't disagree , but I read more problems than any are the spring hangers . Its a simple fix, with minimal welding ,and materials . I would be more then happy to email pictures to anyone what I have done to mine. I boxed in the spring hangers ,and added a bit more then what the factory does above it on the frame gusset. Easy ,and cheap. I have towed fifth wheels for a number of years ,and IMO , some added bracing ,X-factor style etc ,will end most suspension problems. Leaf spring suspension has been around for a long time .
I would be very interested in pictures. I replaced all the shackles last year on my 35 footer with beefier ones. This year I have 2 cracked welds on the spring hangers. I believe I just transferred the problem to the weakest link. I'd rather fix it all at once. Thanks in advance for anything you can send.
Livin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 06:59 AM   #44
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Maybe someone that had the pictures emailed to them can post them here.
Old 11-03-2020, 09:29 AM   #45
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
Maybe someone that had the pictures emailed to them can post them here.
If you are interested I will email you some pictures . Its just as easy to explain it , you box in the spring hangers both sides , then tie those plates to the frame with a triangle shaped gusset. If you want to go further ,add the X-factor style braces. Also on most fifth wheels there are gussets on the web of the frame above where the spring hangers are welded to the flanges , but very minimal ,add a bigger one there. That takes pretty much all the flex side to side out, and thats where the spring hanger failures happen, plus the terrible workmanship they do on the welding. Want to go a step further add a leaf to the suspension. Plus all that is a fraction of the IS .

IMO there is certainly nothing wrong with IS , but there is certainly other things that can be done, and I have with success.
Old 11-03-2020, 09:33 AM   #46
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin' View Post
I would be very interested in pictures. I replaced all the shackles last year on my 35 footer with beefier ones. This year I have 2 cracked welds on the spring hangers. I believe I just transferred the problem to the weakest link. I'd rather fix it all at once. Thanks in advance for anything you can send.
I sent you a PM.
Old 11-03-2020, 09:34 AM   #47
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin' View Post

Easy fix on the spring hangers.
Old 11-03-2020, 11:46 AM   #48
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We installed the IS on both our 5th wheels. We have been high end users over the years doing thousands of miles each year If we were weekend RV ers or low end users we would not spend that kind of money on the IS.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 12:00 PM   #49
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
We installed the IS on both our 5th wheels. We have been high end users over the years doing thousands of miles each year If we were weekend RV ers or low end users we would not spend that kind of money on the IS.

As said ,no doubt about IS. I just got back a few days ago from a 5 day hunting trip . Here's an example of the bad road I was on ,is was 22 miles of washboard . I have a leaf spring suspension . I have the six point level up, but have added at the very rear some manual screw down stabilizer jacks , welded a plate to the receiver hitch plates on each end, that are bolted to the frame , and bolted the jacks on that added plate. When I got home one of those jacks ,and screwed itself partially down ,never had that happen before ,I always put a bit pressure on them to make sure they are tight . That suspension took more punishment in those 22 miles ,then most do on thousands of miles of pavement.

I am firm believer that suspension upgrades work, no need for thousands of dollars worth of suspension. . As they say the proof is in the pudding
Old 11-06-2020, 09:11 AM   #50
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
I left some pudding on the counter and ......
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 09:56 AM   #51
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreG L. View Post
I left some pudding on the counter and ......
Would that be vanilla or chocolate