Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2020, 12:05 PM   #1
GHallof
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25098
5th Wheel Hitch Issue

Hello All,

I recently upgraded my 2007 Dodge Ram 3500 to a 2020 RAM 3500. My hitch is a Curt Q20 that I have had for 3 years. It has served me well and in the old truck it would drop right into the rails in the bed. Easy peazy. Except for the overall weight of the hitch when removing.

The new truck is equipped with the puck system. Instead of buying a new hitch I was able to purchase the Curt puck leg upgrade for my Q20 head unit. The legs came in and I installed them exactly as specified. Dropped hitch into the trucks puck system and locked it down. No issue or at least I thought. Unlocked the legs on the hitch from the puck system and the darn thing will not come back out.

I have been on the phone with Curt and sent them some pics. I was curious if anyone has had a similar issue and could provide some feedback on what they did to alleviate the problem

Thank you all in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201026_134336[1].jpg
Views:	90
Size:	390.7 KB
ID:	7640   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201026_134400[1].jpg
Views:	96
Size:	446.7 KB
ID:	7641  

2017 3661RL
GHallof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:16 PM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Not familiar with that truck or hitch adapter. But on my Ford the handles have to be turned exactly 90 degrees from the lock position to be able to remove the hitch.
If you remember the position of the handles when you dropped it in before you turned them, then turn them back to that exact position.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:20 PM   #3
GHallof
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25098
Hi BB_Tx, appreciate the reply and info. That was my thinking exactly. Been thru a full range of motion on the handles in 1/4" increments. Just no luck. Odd for sure.
2017 3661RL
Old 10-26-2020, 05:34 PM   #4
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
sameo sameo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHallof View Post
Hi BB_Tx, appreciate the reply and info. That was my thinking exactly. Been thru a full range of motion on the handles in 1/4" increments. Just no luck. Odd for sure.
Different hitch adapter (Reese) same issue. A crow bar when I was sure of the correct position of the handles got it to release. A little lubricant the next time in and it came out easy.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:50 PM   #5
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
Different hitch adapter (Reese) same issue. A crow bar when I was sure of the correct position of the handles got it to release. A little lubricant the next time in and it came out easy.
I too have the Reese adapter , as long as I am 90 degrees on the handles it releases , but if off slightly no go .
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 06:39 AM   #6
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Had similar issue with my Ford puck system. Had to use some Deep Creep to get it out after leaving it in for about 11 months. Since then, I remove it every so often and spray lube in the holes of the truck puck mount. Mine is a 2014 F350, so rust inside the tubes is becoming an issue causing the binding and the B&W Companion is pretty tight fit.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 02:04 PM   #7
Stix
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25024
I have the same system. You can pull the pin which holds the nut stationary on the leg which is not coming out. Adjust the nut and then put the cotter pin back in and you won’t have this issue anymore. If one of your legs is hard to close or open then you need to adjust.
Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 03:29 PM   #8
Mr Mustang
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25265
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post
Had similar issue with my Ford puck system. Had to use some Deep Creep to get it out after leaving it in for about 11 months. Since then, I remove it every so often and spray lube in the holes of the truck puck mount. Mine is a 2014 F350, so rust inside the tubes is becoming an issue causing the binding and the B&W Companion is pretty tight fit.
I have the same exact setup, 2014 F350 & B&W, white lithium spray lube and no issues in six plus years.
I would use some WD 40 and a pry bar to remove. Good luck and let us know.✌🏻️
Mr Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 05:58 PM   #9
Montanaontheroad

M.O.C. #23795
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHallof View Post
Hello All,

I recently upgraded my 2007 Dodge Ram 3500 to a 2020 RAM 3500. My hitch is a Curt Q20 that I have had for 3 years. It has served me well and in the old truck it would drop right into the rails in the bed. Easy peazy. Except for the overall weight of the hitch when removing.

The new truck is equipped with the puck system. Instead of buying a new hitch I was able to purchase the Curt puck leg upgrade for my Q20 head unit. The legs came in and I installed them exactly as specified. Dropped hitch into the trucks puck system and locked it down. No issue or at least I thought. Unlocked the legs on the hitch from the puck system and the darn thing will not come back out.

I have been on the phone with Curt and sent them some pics. I was curious if anyone has had a similar issue and could provide some feedback on what they did to alleviate the problem

Thank you all in advance.
we have a mopar version of that hitch and have the same problem, we had to loosen the bolts on the head to get the hitch out. we took it back to the dealer that installed the hitch and their resolution was to move all the washers from the outside to in-between the upright and the hitch head. we do not feel this this is a good solution as there are gaps where there should not be now. which could cause unnecessary stress points. we are convinced that the issue is a short bottom cross member or out of square legs. we are still searching a solution too.
Montanaontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:19 AM   #10
GHallof
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25098
Here's the ANSWER

I did some research on the issue and finally arrived at the answer. Haven't installed it yet but those of you with the same problem will find the info useful.

Supposedly this problem only appears in some model year 2020 and 2021 RAM trucks with the puck system preinstalled at the factory.

It appears that Curt supplies the hitches to Chrysler/Mopar. What they do not supply are the pucks that get installed into frame of the truck. At some point during the 2020 model year Chrysler/Mopar changed suppliers of the pucks and did not inform Curt. The new pucks were different dimensions than the originals that Curt engineered their hitch for, causing Curt to have to adjust. Not sure I buy all that but that is what I was told.

Curt glady sent me, at no charge, a spacer kit. Part #16993. When installed correctly the spacers add enough space to the legs to fit properly into the pucks. See attached instructions. Give Curt a call.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf img030.pdf (433.2 KB, 57 views)
File Type: pdf img027.pdf (466.6 KB, 62 views)
2017 3661RL