Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2012, 05:38 PM   #1
thekennys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11454
washing etiquette

where do you all wash and polish the Montana's
we are on the road and stay at cg's that don't allow washing
we won't be home and even then we have to store the unit
what do people do?

Mikey

thekennys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Mike take it to a truck wash to have it done! We had ours done in Elkhart while at the Fall Rally! Just make sure they do not put full highpower hoses on the decals!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Mike and Diane,
When we've been on the road and needing a wash/polish we've done a couple of things. We've used the truck washes a couple of times. That works pretty well. We've also checked with the RV parks and they often let someone come in and wash your rig. We've had that done a couple of times and were satisfied with the work. Good luck, Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:43 PM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by thekennys

where do you all wash and polish the Montana's
we are on the road and stay at cg's that don't allow washing
we won't be home and even then we have to store the unit
what do people do?

Mikey
We use a waterless product called "The Solution." It not only cleans but applies a wax coating. Easy to use.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:59 AM   #5
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I use Croftgate products. I can wash the whole rig with a gallon of water. Go to Croftgateusa.com for their products. They really work.
I have no financial interest in their company, I just believe in their cleaning products.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:27 AM   #6
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
However silly this is going to sound....If I see it is going to or is raining I fill a bucket up with a RV wash and wax solution and go out during the rain and wash the rig and let Mother Nature take care of the rest.....but I am definitely going to look into the CroftsgateUSA products!

Les

Old 10-12-2012, 03:35 AM   #7
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Les, doen't sound silly to us as we've done the same thing.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:35 AM   #8
thekennys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11454
Got up this am and lots of good responses and thank you all.

It's raining today here on the New Mexico - Texas border, and so I plan to get out and take the brush and wash and let the rain rinse. Hope I don't catch pneumonia.

Our options are limited as we're next-door to the Camp Host. To be as politically correct as is possible, we'll use Dawn and hope that the suds don't get above my boots.

In order to dress for success, what is the proper attire for this activity @ 70 degrees, plus or minus? Nature's own? With galoshes? Is that too much? Too little? Other suggestions or experiences?

BTW, I have car insurance, extended warranties, but no bail insurance just in case. Are the MOC-ers good enough rv-ers to contribute if necessary? What is our policy? Or does anybody know what the bail amount for public decency is and do bail bondsmen take the title of the Montana as security?

Well, it's thundering again- gotta go!!!

Mikey
Old 10-12-2012, 05:22 AM   #9
Carl32092
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11321
Good God,,,you don't want to have a wet brush sticking up in the air if you hear thunder,,,,crispy critter!!!
Carl32092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:41 AM   #10
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by thekennys

Got up this am and lots of good responses and thank you all.

It's raining today here on the New Mexico - Texas border, and so I plan to get out and take the brush and wash and let the rain rinse. Hope I don't catch pneumonia.

Our options are limited as we're next-door to the Camp Host. To be as politically correct as is possible, we'll use Dawn and hope that the suds don't get above my boots.

In order to dress for success, what is the proper attire for this activity @ 70 degrees, plus or minus? Nature's own? With galoshes? Is that too much? Too little? Other suggestions or experiences?

BTW, I have car insurance, extended warranties, but no bail insurance just in case. Are the MOC-ers good enough rv-ers to contribute if necessary? What is our policy? Or does anybody know what the bail amount for public decency is and do bail bondsmen take the title of the Montana as security?

Well, it's thundering again- gotta go!!!

Mikey
Mikey,

I would have to say at 70 deg a T-shirt, shorts and flip flops would work depending on your tolerance to a chill. Depending on how heavy the rain I will break out our M/C rain gear and use that.

The biggest issue with washing the rig in a campground is generally use of the water including over-spray onto somebody else's camp and/ or making a mud pit out of yours. If it's raining that kind of negates that!

If you are using Dawn remember it will strip the wax off over time if you have waxed the coach.

Just start singing while you are washing and the neighbors will probably stay away thinking that you may have issues!!!
Old 10-12-2012, 07:52 AM   #11
thekennys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11454
well i stayed out of the rain so no wiener roast today, but i did catch a break in the weather and went with the advice don't ask first, just do it or " get er done". Well as is the tradition in most cg that i have been in' when you start a public project it draws a crowd of looky-loo's and processionals. we all seem to love a parade.
job done for now
Mikey