Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2011, 07:57 AM   #1
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Fountain of youth, California

The Fountain of Youth Spa/Resort in Niland, CA has been recommended to us for the month of February. Can any of our MOC friends give us a personal review on this?
Thank you, and have yourselves a very Merry Christmas!

grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:07 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I've been there several years ago. The RV Resort was mostly concrete and gravel, but there were plenty of sites, and they were flat. We were there early summer and it was HOT. Maybe the trees are bigger now.

I would definitely prefer February (I hate the heat) and I didn't mind driving to Palm Springs and other areas close by. We liked the price and therefore tolerated the rest. The site is at the ENE part of the Salton Sea.

While it's not the best ever, I would go there again. If the clientele are decent and the facilities work, then I'm easy to please. And the people were great.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:31 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
You really should talk to members DandT who workamp there every winter. They can give you an in depth analysis of the park.

I have stayed there several times. We stop for a few days on the way to and from AZ. We like soaking and relaxing in the mineral pools. They have like 2,000 snowbirds there so we aren't the only ones attracted.

If nothing else, they have *LOT* of organized activities for the residents. You can fill a complete day with crafts, sports, cards, and related activities and never leave the property. Which is good because they are a fair distance from civilization (at least in modern form). If you are one that likes going to go shopping or dinner and show, then FoY may not be a good fit. The closest town (neither Niland or Bombay Beach, despite what the locals say, are "towns") is Indio and it is 43 miles away. You definitely have to plan when you make a trip to town.

But if you are happy to stay in the park and entertain yourself with the provided activities (or those you provide on your own), it is a nice, friendly place to pass the time.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 03:39 AM   #4
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
There is a cafe,small general store, post office, hair solon, and the fruit and veggie guy comes twice a week. You really don't need to go to town that often.
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:29 AM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
And, you have the entire Salton Sea area to investigate. There are mud pots and other kinda neat things. You are not that far from the Yuma area and those outstanding sand dunes. And, the Slabs in Niland and of course, my personal fav, Salvation Mountain at the Slabs. We actually stayed in the State Park (north of FoY) and had 50 AMP full hookups. We also had fish die off, and the mmmm, smells from same. That said, I would not hesitate to stay there again, something about the Salton Sea spoke to me, the weirdness, the stories, whatever it was, I thought it was very interesting. I just wish we had had more days to investigate. (And, maybe gas masks, sighhhhhh )

Note: Salvation Mountain is in a flux situation right now. Leonard Knight the folk artist behind it has been moved to a full care facility for dementia patients. His care taker for the last several years, Kevin Eubank died the other night, just after he had moved Leonard into the care facility. Salvation Mountain is not OWNED by Leonard, things are rather "interesting" right now.

My point being for those that might be in the area this winter, if you are at all interested in seeing this National treasure, because it is not guaranteed to be there in the future, you might want to visit now.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:28 AM   #6
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
We are here as usual in site 81. Keep in mind FEB is a busy month and no reservations allowed can make it interesting! But well worth the trip. Look us up if you come. Dave and Teresa
dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:00 AM   #7
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Thank you all for the info. If things work out for us we would like to come on down and find a warm area to spend Feb-March.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:33 AM   #8
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
"Warm" seems to be an elusive thing these days all over the southwest. 13 miles to Temecula and civilization and a nice day trip to the Salton Sea area is the Rancho California RV Resort in Aguanga, CA. You might want to consider it as a possible destination. Lots of rentals available directly from owners or from Fairway Associates who are on site. 1st class all the way but no mineral pools. 67 degrees here for a high today with cool nights ... low 40's.
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:12 PM   #9
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
DandT,
We will certainly look you up if our plans work for us. We do have dry conditions here in Portland, but nights are around freezing.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:17 PM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Nights are freezing right now here in Temecula and have been for the past 10 or so nights. I imagine it might be the same in Niland about 75 miles away as the crow flies. This cold is unusual but probably still better than Portland Oregon. But it's safe to say the weather in February will probably be way better than the Northwest. I would recommend as early a reservation as you can get. Don't wait if you are pretty sure you're coming down. I don't know if it's easier to cancel a reservation than to try and arrange one later, but I'm guessing cancelling is better (unless there's a cost to cancel).
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:37 PM   #11
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

I would recommend as early a reservation as you can get. Don't wait if you are pretty sure you're coming down. I don't know if it's easier to cancel a reservation than to try and arrange one later, but I'm guessing cancelling is better (unless there's a cost to cancel).
Folks who have stayed here before, or read the above post by DandT, should know FoY doesn't take reservations. You camp in the dry camp area until a space opens up when they are full.
Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:45 PM   #12
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Thanks Carl, I did notice that.

Art, I've been waiting your response knowing you are near enough to that area to have some advice.

Not too sure about Portland weather, forecasts foretold the severe conditions and it has been very mild so far.