Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2011, 05:32 PM   #1
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
SATELLITE TV QUESTION

We do not have satellite at home, but there are times when we are on the road we would like to have it. I see that Dish now offers a pay-as-you-go option where you only pay a monthly fee when you use the system and there is no contract.

So now we have started to look at antennas and really like the VuQube 2000 or the Winegard "Carryout" GM-MP1 and GM-1518 portables because of the compactness and they will allow SD and HD reception with Dish network. The VuQube 2000 and Winegard GM-1518 are automatic while the GM-MP-1 is manual and will only handle one TV.

So here is the question: Are any of you using either of these and what are your impressions? As always, all replies and inputs, pros and cons, are appreciated.

r,
Jack

Old 08-15-2011, 06:39 PM   #2
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Jack we have a trav'ler dish system and it works great. Check the Winegard site for dishes and they will tell you what each one does.also talk to Zman as he got one at Q last year.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:31 AM   #3
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
Dish is offering a customized version of the VuQube that is tailored to their 211 receiver.
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:20 AM   #4
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Don,
We had dinner with Mike and Shirley on Saturday and that's what has gotten us into looking at systems. For me, I am not sold on having something installed on the rig.

Jack

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ishler

Dish is offering a customized version of the VuQube that is tailored to their 211 receiver.
Mike,
I did not know this, but I'll bet you can guess which website I am off to right now.

Jack

Old 08-16-2011, 05:35 AM   #5
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
I ended up with the Winnegard 3005 HD antenna installed on my rig. I talked to a lot of folks, and the majority seemed happier with direct tv v.s. dish. Having never had dish, can't validate.

Also, from other rvrs I spoke to, the carry outs didn't seem to have the signal strength of the larger installed antennas. Their only advantage seemed to be the ability to move them around incase a roof mounted antenna couldn't see through the trees. Another advantage, obviously, is cost!

I carried a portable direct tv antenna for years, and now am absolutely thrilled with pulling into a park, hitting a button, and having HD TV within minutes. Also, Direct TV will let you stop service on a box when not in use - but I use my rig often enough that I haven't taken the trouble to do that.

S0 - I sound like I own stock in Direct TV and Winnegard - but I don't. Just a happy customer who's been trailering for over 9 years.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:04 AM   #6
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
Jack,

Are you on cable at home? If so, why not change to satellite and use a receiver from home in the RV? You can get tripods and dishes for either Direct or Dish on ebay as well. I'm not sure how those dishes compare with the models you're looking at.
Lije Baley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:47 AM   #7
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
One thing to keep in mind if you go with the Carry-Out or V-Cube, make sure you fasten it to something as they have been known to develop feet and walk away. We have Direct at the Stick house (live in the sticks and no such thing as cable) so we just take rcvrs from the house. Love our automatic dish on the roof, only been a couple of times we couldn't get a signal.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:25 PM   #8
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
To the Admins: Sorry for posting on the wrong board

Jack
Old 08-16-2011, 12:30 PM   #9
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Lije Baley

Jack,

Are you on cable at home? If so, why not change to satellite and use a receiver from home in the RV? You can get tripods and dishes for either Direct or Dish on ebay as well. I'm not sure how those dishes compare with the models you're looking at.
Bill,
We are on cable at the house and have everything bundled, tv, internet and phone. Hard to beat the internet speed and phone features. We would probably only use the SAT a couple to a few times a year. I will talk to you more about it over a beverage or two when we see you next.

OBTW I have everything to do your c/b mod so no need to go to the store. Just remember I am not a fancy beer drinker

Jack
Old 08-18-2011, 10:02 AM   #10
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Jack here is the Winegard site:
http://winegard.com/
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:48 PM   #11
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
[quote]quote:Originally posted by jackel1959

Quote:
Originally posted by Lije Baley

Bill,
We are on cable at the house and have everything bundled, tv, internet and phone. Hard to beat the internet speed and phone features. We would probably only use the SAT a couple to a few times a year. I will talk to you more about it over a beverage or two when we see you next.

OBTW I have everything to do your c/b mod so no need to go to the store. Just remember I am not a fancy beer drinker

Jack
Cable at home it is. If pay-as-you-go is available from Dish, that would be the way to go. Don't worry about my email question, as I hadn't seen this post. What's your favorite non-fancy brew?
Lije Baley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:15 PM   #12
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I have the Winegard Carry Out. Just remember that there are no domes presently on the market that will receive two satellites at one time. If you are going to watch different stations on different televisions you will need a portable antenna with TWO LNB's. Do not confuse Dual LNB output with TWO LNB horns. Because you are going to be "turned off" more than the "on" system, the pay as you go with DISh would seem to me to be the better choice. The Carry out is a Dual LNB output. You can feed two receivers from the one Carry Out. I use the VIP 322 from the house. It will automatically, with the right cable hook ups, display on two different televisions - one channel. Since DISH uses 3 satellites for their down streaming, switching to a different channel in the back bedroom could cause the front tv to change also. With a DUAL (two horn) LNB you would be able to get the two primary satellites, typically 110 and 119 and be able to view different channels on each television. The third satellite, 129, is primarily for HD Programming. There are some HD programming on 110, and 119, but the majority is on 129. HD is a requirement for us since we are so used to it. Also, the VIP 322 is a DVR, so prior to traveling we can record a lot of hours of movies, etc., and play them back when on the road. When doing that you do not even have to hook up the antenna. There are 3 methods of setting up the Winegard Carry Out. Just put it on the ground, use the little tripod made for it, or use the ladder mount made for it. The ladder mount is between $250-300 at present day. The tripod, which I use is about $80.

There is no fool proof way to secure a portable satellite antenna. For my Carry Out, I modified the tripod plate that has a 1/4x20 screw for securing the plate to the Carry Out. I purchased an eye-bolt, 1/4x20 and screwed it through the plate and into the built in screw point. I then double nutted it on the inside of the dome, and the underside of the plate. I bought 40 feet of chain that cannot be cut with pair of pliers (bolt cutter would work), and only 40 feet because that is all they had, and I secure both ends with a padlock. It keeps the honest people honest, and 99.99% of campers are honest. It's the drive by's that I worry about. If you do decide on the Carry Out, it comes with a 50 foot power cable that needs a cigarette lighter plug in. I purchased a converter that would handle the current and plug it into my electrical bay.

The Carry Out is totally automatic. Turn it on, turn on the satellite, do a "Check Switch," wait a few minutes, and there you go. takes about 5 minutes or less to put it in position and hook up the cables.

Happy trails
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:45 PM   #13
tyler_bustos
Established Member

M.O.C. #11981
We are in the same situation. We only use the satellite a few months a year. We went with the Dish Network Tailgater. It is automatic, light and extremely easy to use. Just make sure you lock it up. Thinking of a way to build a bracket on my ladder so it is off the ground and out of sight. We really like this system as you can actually use it away from your RV, as the name indicates. Here is the web link.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/supportsection/tailgater
tyler_bustos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:50 AM   #14
southern thunder
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12211
I've got Direct TV at home and so I just took one of my 5 receivers, A none HD one, and put it in the RV. Works great with a portable manual Dish on a tripod. It can be tricky to line up. I will get a cube sooner or later.
southern thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:09 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We've only had the Dish Tailgater antenna with rv pay as you go for a little more than a month but love it. It's lightweight (less than 10 pounds and I can carry it up the ladder to the roof if needed), and it automatically locks onto the three satellites. You just point it generally south and it does the rest. No power connections, just the included 50' coax (or add more of your own if needed). It has an easy carry handle and the dish is fully enclosed. And we pay only for the months we choose to use it. To "turn it off" you just don't pay the bill. I get an email saying a bill is ready and it also puts a message on the tv. I can pay online or call them. I'm sure there are other good setups but we're very pleased with this one.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote