Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2008, 01:43 AM   #21
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Ozz, I feel your pain too, when electronic stuff doesn't work and you have to rely on technical support, the experience is very frustrating to say the least. Not sure where I learned that about the activation, but it works for us, glad to hear it works for Firetruckerwife (HI Sharon) too.

Carl, as Don says, it does say that it has to disconnect you. If you try it when you are not connected, it won't go anywhere. And yes, you are right there is no documentation to support this method.

EVERYONE, SHSSSH! Don't tell Verizon you know someone that has their aircard stuck in a router!

BTW, the aircard has to use an IP address to do any type of update, and the blocking software on the router (different type of IP address) prevents that from happening.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 01:58 AM   #22
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
Now that Verizon knows that you know as much about their system as they do, they will probably go in and screw it all up for everyone... Shhhhhhhhhhh ....Don't tell everyone. That was going to be our add on for our Christmas Special....JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 02:36 AM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
With the verizon air aircard it is good to do the procedure Robbie describes every time you move any distance. Most of the folks at the verizon stores or any store know little about the actual operation of the phone and most never heard of a air card even though they may sell them in
the store. Don't forget about the router if you have one It needs to be properly set up. The folks at the sales store do not want to talk about routers. They don't sell them..they sell aircards. I have found the best tech service to be at 3G store. It is worth it to purchase your product there if for no other reason than the tech service on the aircard and the router. Wayne is correct... It is about coverage.. At home we are in the middle of a huge urban area.There are towers all around us..we have a weak Verizon signal as well as a weak signal on all cell companies. We are in a depression between two ancient Lake Erie ridges. The nearest Verizon towers are 1.5 miles South and 1.3 miles West yet we have a weak signal because of our location and obstructions between us and the tower. We can drive 3/4 of a mile up to the nearest old ridge and the signal booms in....such is life.

Here in Florida ..same story..Our Campground is low. The nearest Verizon tower is @ 8 miles away. When I drive out of the campground the signal increases. 1 mile up the road in the direction of the tower..signal booms. The antenna 20 feet above the camper roof A'La John Khol and a 3 watt amp bring in a stronger signal. It is..location.. location..location and proper set up on the aircard and router. It is hard to find a aircard or cell phone that will work all the time all over the country. If the device is in one place all the time you need to find the service that works best in your area. Verizon has been 95 % effective country wide although not always the max signal in a specific location. Like here in this location in Florida. We are running with the 3 watt amp and the Extended antenna @ 650/750 kbps out of a max of 1.2 MH. I can see the 1.0 Mh a couple of miles up the road...such is life...

On that Verizon activation. I was not sure what it did so I asked the tech at 3g store and ONE of the things it does is to identify the NEAREST verizon tower with the proper service. If you purchased from 3G store call tech services..They know their stuff.. Verizon tech service may be OK they try their best and it is my problem that I cam not properly communicate with someone were English is their second or third language.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 01:34 PM   #24
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Ozz, you maybe aware that your TW cable and roadrunner can be placed on "vacation" or it's believed it can be when you hit the road. The contract, if any, is simply paused til you get back. We have RR internet here, no contract and it's simply awesome as they say. We vacation it while gone at no charge or fees. Sounds like you may have "bundled TV/Internet?? Our neighbor has all 3 bundled and loves it. We only have RR with DirecTV separate. Some RR providers like ours have "no contracts". There is also a RoadRunner Lite our friends have and they pay 29.95 for it. We pay 44.95 for std. rr at almost 10 megs which is great!

Not to create any stir, but just my opine broadband internet in my view is better than dsl.

John Kohl indicates his card (ATT) is better at Eustis FL and I believe because ATT/Cingular merged in Orlando area, more towers, but not totally sure of that as the reason.

Embarq Telephone (formerly Sprint) is getting ready to merge with Century Tel. sometime soon. Embarg hdqtrs could end up in Monroe, LA where Century is located from Kansas. See ya. Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 03:52 PM   #25
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
If centurt tel buys embarg as they say its all down hill as centur tell is a backward co as they are in northern wis and have no understanding of the phone bus , its a bad sale , it will be a lot of dumb problems sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 06:50 AM   #26
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good info, Dennis, I appreciate it.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 10:27 AM   #27
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920

Embarq merges with Century Telephone

John, the merger will occur in early 2009 1st or 2nd Qtr. Most small phone companies take a hit on service cause many can't expand to new services. Maybe this merger will help both companies. We have Embarq in a somewhat rural part of Central Florida. Growth is here but expanded services are slow in coming. Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 02:45 PM   #28
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Dennis when in northern wis century tel is a bad name as they offer nothing but aphone and if it goes our we will be out on tuesday of the 2nd week but if its your problem it will cost you .. we droped the land line and will use virezion even if we stand outside to get it .. i put a antenna on top of the cottage that is 50' above the 1st floor with 80' very heavy cable to the air card with a whip on the aerial of 3' and as big as your thumb.. i also use a booster which is in the 5th wheel but the whole set up was worked out by wilson and they sent me to a place in missippi to get the parts. we have no service in crivitz, wi as verizon says but it works 79 %of the time .. ozz that stick on window pitch it and get a truckers antenna or better get wilson to design a system you can use, in the 5th wheel we use the truckers antenna most of the time and no booster , here in fl we just use the air card,, sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:16 AM   #29
mrnifty

M.O.C. #8994
Verizon services should vastly improve once the buy out of alltel is completed next year.
An external antenna along with a 3 watt booster should help.

I expect to see some vast changes and improvements in the wireless internet industry in the next few years.
mrnifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 12:26 PM   #30
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We can't complain about the Verizon service. We upgraded to the USB 727 aircard (reva) and the CP 1000 with great success . We have been on verizon for over 3 year all over the country.When we are within range of a tower we get excellent service. The external antenna and 3 watt booster amp help when needed
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 02:57 PM   #31
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
OZZ- If you buy an new GMC or Chevy TV you can have Verison. That is what OnStar uses for their phone onboard!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:17 AM   #32
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Rondo, a new TV will have to be in another lifetime, I'm all 'newed out'.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote