Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2008, 02:27 PM   #1
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Black Tank leaking...How to get rid of odor?

Well, it happened to us, too. We're very careful with our tanks - not traveling with them full, or even half full.

Over the weekend, I discovered our black tank is leaking into the underbelly when full.

I'm going to drop the belly pan covers tomorrow and would like to know what to use to get rid of the odor left behind. I'll spray the underbelly panels and also up inside if necessary, with water.

Thanks in advance...

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 02:33 PM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Tammy might have real good answer, but off the top of my head, clorox?? for smell and health?? Sorry to hear this tho, total bummer.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 03:02 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Mike..You will probably have to drop the front two panels,,We had to, It is the "artic package stuff that retains the smell.It is not water proof and will soak up the smell. The underbelly itself required a good hosedown and and a soapy wash. That Artic package stuff can be purchased at Home Depot for 42.00 a roll.It is 3 feet wide but you can tape it to the proper width... You will note that Keystone did that.
Our Black tank did the same thing and will be replaced as soon we get back from the N.E MOC Rally.'Go to home depot..click on insulation, click on reflectix
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 04:45 PM   #4
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Carol and Rich - thank you for your responses. I'll take the two panels down tomorrow and assess the "yuck" factor.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:24 AM   #5
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Mike, when ours ruptured I just dropped the belly panels (front 2), pulled the mylar bubble wrap out. You will have to take a pair of scissors and cut a slot from the plumbing to the edge of the insulation. I laid the sheets out on the grass in the sun and mopped them liberally with Clorox. After they sat for a half hour I rinsed they with water and let them sit in the sun for a day. I sprayed the tanks and belly area with clorox and then rinsed well also. I let the belly area dry very well, I think three days is what I did. You can replace the bubble wrap insulation if you want, but I am cheap... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 02:47 PM   #6
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Get your self a spray bottle.
Mix up
Hydrogen Peroxide 1/2 bottle
Arm and Hammer Baking Soda 1/2 box
Dawn dish soap one squeeze
Shake well
Spray.
It also works for spray or washing you dog if they get sprayed by a shunk.
You could also get a couple bottles of Massengil douche and spray that on it.
Bin there done it.
Please be carefull when you lower the panels, they bow and the SH__y water will hold it that area.
When I lowered ours, I collected 3 5 gallon buckets full.
Were your bathing suit or if you scuba dive, put on your suit
Good Luck
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 04:38 PM   #7
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Yup, forget the clorox, the skunk mix works much better than the clorox and I am kicking myself for not using it on mine as we had stockpiled baking soda and peroxide for the trip because our yellow lab loves those little wood kitties. Definitely use the mixture.. Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote