Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2007, 01:22 PM   #1
montanaman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5414
Defrosting Refrigerator

Tell me how you go about defrosting your refrigerator freezer while you still need to use the lower unit. What is your procedure. Wife and I trying to agree on a procedure. thanks.

montanaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:46 PM   #2
Rocky2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2840
This is the way I do it.
I turn the unit off leave the frig door closed and open the freezer and put a battery operated fan in there to stir the air and prop the door part way open.
Does not take very long and then I dry it out and turn it back on.

To do the coils in the frig part I use the same fan and turn the unit off I put the fan in the frig on the top shelf aimed at the frozen coils and shut the door - check it every so often and it works to get rid of the ice use a plastic spatula to help if needed.

Hope this helps, Laura
If you need to keep stuff cold from the freezer tuck it in the sink and put the sink cover over it - it will stay pretty cold.
Rocky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:57 PM   #3
mobrownies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #886
We do ours about onece a year. We turn the unit off, move everything to a cooler or wrap up in newspaper. We put a pan of hot water in the freezer to help speed things along. We have also used a hair dryer on low heat for short times and kept it moving. I don't think it takes much more than an hour.

My wife thinks that turning the unit off while in transit, which is never too long - 250 miles is a long day for us, helps keep the ice down and extends the time between defrosts.
mobrownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 01:17 AM   #4
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
When we were in it full time, we would leave things in the refrigerator portion and use a hair dryer, teflon spatula, and a sponge in the freezer compartment.

Now we just use it for vacations and weekend trips, so when we get back, I empty the contents, turn it off, open the doors, and put several layers of paper towels in the freezer compartment "floor" and forget it.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:22 AM   #5
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Try using a hair dryer!
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:14 AM   #6
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
I used to use a hair dryer but when we were at the Montana Rally the Dometic rep said not to do that. I can't remember the reason but it was good enough that I don't do that any more.

Now I put the things from the freezer into my compact freezer that we added and put a pan of hot water to hurry things up. It usually takes less than an hour so doesn't harm any of the food in the fridge.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 06:29 AM   #7
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Re the sink "storage" item from Laura, line the sink bottom and sides with a couple of small towels before you put the frozen stuff in it, cover the food with another small towel, then add the sink cover. Good insulation, and will keep the frozen stuff in good shape for the time needed to defrost.
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote