Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2007, 06:23 AM   #1
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
Found Something **********

Found something I don't like about my 2955 Montana. The engineer or employ who dreamed up plugging in the power source at the rear of the unit should be FIRED!!!!! That is the most crude design I have seen on a camper in my 65 years of lifetime. I retired from management in the electronics field. Why couldn't it be located like most all other units on the drivers side of the trailer. Most drive-thrus are about half way on the drivers side I have found in my travels. Maybe there is a reason.... I haven't figured it out as of yet----- only that you get plenty of exercise stringing cord out and coiling it up again. More cord to stumble over. Maybe they sell more cord that way....JB

deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 07:45 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Ha! I posted almost the identical subject content a few month's ago, prepare to get a bloody nose, after a few pages, I posted again that I was sorry I even brought it up.
But, my friend, I agree with you on this.
Good luck, JB
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:04 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are at a fairly new Campground here in Havasu City ,Az and the power pedestal is at the rear of the camper just a couple of feet away from our rear 50 amp connector. The guy next to me has the power outlet at the side of his camper and his 50 amp snake is stretched to the limit to reach the pedestal.Go figure...We are also retired from the Electronic field and we know where these things came from. There is, within every organization the "office of diabolical engineering" where a bunch of deranged engineers devise ways to confound everyone who may use the product. Ex: "Lets put the power outlet on some campers at the rear and some on the side..The C.G owners will never know where to put the pedestal..the Rv owners will never know how much cord they need..everyone will remain confounded and we done a good job"...followd by a round of mad and diabolical laughter. I just know that is true....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:59 AM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Consistent with my new years resolution to be upbeat and positive sans being censored -

Through a design change in our midyear 2003, the receptable was relocated to the side. I found it to be less than desirable, as it was located right below the rain gutter which continously dripped AC condensate. I was always concerned about leakage into the receptacle, or even my own safety if I was not careful to unplug it from the pedestal first. I notice our 2007 will have it back on the beaver tail.

Given the inconsistancies in the CG layouts, I always find benefit from the location of either the electrical pedestal, water faucet, or sewer, but rarely all three at once.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 10:09 AM   #5
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
Thanks for the response Ozz and Richfaa. I am sure there was some troubled minds of desk jockeys on this design. --edited to remove inappropriate bashing. HOTR-- I am sure there has got to be someone that is happy with the arrangement at times and the next day or days they are cussing it, like me. When I travel, I don't let it sit to long and usually try campgrounds with drive-thru.

Richfaaa -- I used to own a lot in Havasu when McCulloch owned it.. That used to be an old air strip for the military down on the Island or what is an island now, It used to be a pensulia before they brought London Bridge over and set it up and dug the river under it. I live in Iowa, but I have been to Havasu a few times. Are you wintering there?....JB
Old 01-18-2007, 10:44 AM   #6
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Our Cambridge has the 50 amp connector at the driver side on the toward the rear. It is inclosed in its on compartment. When the cable is stowed away it is behind a closed door. I like the design and yes I have wondered about the design on the Montana's before. Really wasn't much thought put onto the design on a terrific 5th wheel. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:03 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
--edited to remove inappropriate comment. HOTR-- I don't know how many parks we've been in this past four years of fulltiming but I only remember once where the cord wouldn't reach and all I had to do was move the rig a couple of feet and it worked fine. I, for one, don't want yet another cord or hose hanging from the side where I'd have to coil the darn thing to keep it from under foot. I'd much rather string it out a ways. I think this one is purely a personal preference and if someone wants it to not be on the rear then they should limit their purchase choices accordingly. As always, just my opinion but my opinion is leave it alone. I like it on the rear. To each his own.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:07 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Well, I like mine at the rear. No water dripping on the connection. It is readily accessible and I've always been able to connect. On those few occasions when I had to use an extension cable, the post I connected to was 40 feet behind the lot I was parked in.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:22 AM   #9
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
Oh guys, don't be to hard on me for being a bad boy and bringing this subject up.... I'll just fire up the generator instead of stringing cord and coiling it back up again. My rheumatoid arthritis knots on my fingers hurt to bad to punish me.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:25 AM   #10
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
I think that this is becoming very standard in the industry. We just bought an RV Lot in Florida and had the utilties moved to the spot that we wanted them. We chose the electric at the rear and sewer toward the middle and water not too far in front of the electric. They do not want cords, sewers and hoses all over the place. When we drew out our design the contractors told us that 90% of all new owners wanted the same placing. This seems to work for both 5th wheels, Class A's or whatever you are camping in.
Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:31 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Richfaaa -- I used to own a lot in Havasu when McCulloch owned it.. That used to be an old air strip for the military down on the Island or what is an island now, It used to be a pensulia before they brought London Bridge over and set it up and dug the river under it. I live in Iowa, but I have been to Havasu a few times. Are you wintering there?....JB

Yes. we are in Havasu RV Resort. That is North on 95 very near the present day Havasu City Airport. Trying to maneuver these beasties into a position where all the utilities will fit and all the slides will open without banging on something an at times just getting into a site without re arranging the landscaping can be a chore but is part of the Great RV experience.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:39 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Deadeye, you may already know this but just in case.... it really helps to coil the 50 amp cord into a laundry basket. I learned this from someone else on this forum a few years ago and always do it this way now. Just start the cord into the basket, then spin the basket with one hand while you feed the cord with the other. It reduces the lifting and eliminates the cord wanting to go a different way than you're trying to coil. I'm not sure that would help with the arthritis but it might.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:57 AM   #13
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
When we bought our Montana the 50 amp cord was already coiled in the white laundry basket and it works great for us.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:02 PM   #14
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I will repeat what I have said before. Like Steve we have only found one CG that we had to adjust for and then it was only a foot or so. The rear electric seems to fit most campgrounds. Our second rig also had it in the rear.
Happy trails....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:06 PM   #15
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Nothing to do with anything, but our 50A cord came coiled in the laundry basket and thats where it stayed for 4 years. We never used it or took it out! I laughed when we unloaded to trade it in, as it was sitting there by itself just like the pictures when we bought it.

That will change with the new rig and the 100A service.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:43 AM   #16
HomeOnTheRoad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1104
100A service? I never saw a campground with 100A service? How does that work?
HomeOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 03:52 AM   #17
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Homeontheroad -

Sorry for the confusion. The CG provides two parallel 50A breakers and its just called 50A. I refer to it as 100A, as you actually get 100A worth of use at 110VAC but that is an incorrect term.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:28 AM   #18
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
That other 50A box is for another camper in the next space over. No wonder I can never get a camping spot when I pull in to a campground. The campground office personel always look at all of the meters to see if they are spinning. When they see the little wheel moving, they say they are full...
Old 01-19-2007, 04:44 AM   #19
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
I use the laundry basket for other things. I went to Dollar General and bought all matching containers with covers that fit in the basement with a row or two stacked on each side. I even have one for my sewer hose that holds the hose so I don't have to take any connections off. Plastic bags to cover hose ends. Roll of duct tape and a box of those thin rubber gloves like they use in the doctors office or hospital. After each use, just throw them away. Box last a long time. That sewer hose compartment pipe on mine is getting changed this summer. I have been told by a guy that works at Home Depot, that Lowe's has a larger sewer pipe diameter wise. Haven't checked it out yet....but I will...JB
Old 01-19-2007, 05:25 AM   #20
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
The larger sewer hose pipes can also be obtained from a plumbing supply company.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote