Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2007, 04:10 PM   #1
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Big Sky--changes worth considering

Many people have made comments on other threads in recent weeks about things they liked about the Big Sky and things that they are troubled with and/or think should be changed in order to make the Big Sky more attractive to us and to other prospective buyers. Since Keystone execs undoubtedly do not have the time to read all these threads, I thought it would be useful to open this thread to give people an opportunity to bring their suggestions directly to Keystone. I suspect that Keystone will be more receptive to changes that don't involve significant increases in cost or weight, but everyone should feel free to share whatever thoughts they have. If you see someone post a proposed change that you agree with, I'd suggest you chime in with support of the change so that Keystone knows that the change is not just supported by a single individual.

To start the process, the following are some things that either get me juiced up or that I have seen other people express concern about.

DECOR--I would love for Keystone to use one of the three decor packages they are going to use with the Big Sky to offer up interior decor that is somewhat neutral (beige? tan?) and avoids loud or busy patterns or prints. For example, the photos I have seen of one of the Big Sky prototypes shows a nice, neutral covering for the valences over the windows. That same nice neutral tone seems to be carried forward in some of the curtains, although it's tough to tell from the photos. However, I could certainly do without the busy fabric covering the cushions on the sofa. Likewise I could do without that busy pattern down the middle of the bedspread.

NIGHT SHADES--can't tell from the photos what color the night shades are in the day/night shades. If you can put together a neutral decor package, my wife would love it if that decor pkg. used the same color night shade you use with the Blue Sapphire pkg in the Montanas and not the purple night shade used in the other Montana decor packages.

HEADBOARD--in at least the one decor package with neutral tones, please get rid of that busy, fluffy headboard. Perhaps just put in a simple piece of wood paneling for a headboard. If you have to use fabric for cost reasons, stay with something flat and neutral.

CURTAINS ON BEDROOM WINDOW--I really liked the wood trim around the Montana bedroom windows that had the hidden spaces for keys and jewelry. The curtains I see in the Big Sky seem to be a step backwards. Please drop them and go with the same wood trim you use in the Montanas.

QUEEN VS. KING BED--looks like you are making the king bed standard. I would prefer a queen bed. If the queen bed is not going to be available, at least make sure the base of the bed is not too large to preclude me from tossing the OEM king mattress and replacing it with a queen mattress.

MAGAZINE RACK NEXT TO BED--not clear just what is next to the bed. It would be good to have a magazine rack beneath the shelf to take advantage of the space there.

MORE ELECTRICAL OUTLETS--many of us would like more electrical outlets. Put one on at least one side, and possibly both sides, of the bed frame so that we can plug in a sleep numbered bed and/or electric heating blanket. An outlet above the central vacuum would be good for plugging in a space heater or fan in the living room area. An additional electrical outlet on the other side of the desk would be good for hooking up all the computer equipment many of us use. I understand there will be an electrical outlet in the basement storage area on the curb side--it would be nice to have another outlet on the street side of the basement area. I'm sure others will have additional suggestions.

GLASS IN CABINETS--some people have disliked the glass added to the top doors of the pantry cabinets--they don't want all the messy items stored in the pantry to show thru.

HINGED DOOR TO STORAGE SPACE UNDER FRIG--many people like the idea of having a door under the frig to store items in that space.

RECHARGEABLE FLASHLIGHT--not sure if you are going to use the same flashlight as they use in the Montanas--many people find them to be unreliable. Whatever flashlight you use, please mount it higher up--it would be easier to reach if higher up, and that would also allow the ability to put a trash can next to the end of the island in the 340RLQ without having to butt up against the flashlight.

That's enough for me to start this off with.

David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 04:29 PM   #2
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Good thread, David. Actually, a lot of these suggestions could also be applied to the Montanas, i.e. the neutral decor. It's much easier to "color-up" a space than it is to "color-down" the space.

As I said, I like most of your ideas. However, I like the glass doors on the kitchen cabinets. As for seeing the stuff inside, there was a thread a few months back about this very issue ... construction paper and a roll of clear mailing tape can create a quick and inexpensive remedy.

Looking forward to seeing other responses to this thread.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 04:35 PM   #3
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
David,

I agree with most of your suggestions, especially the toned down colors, maybe even upgrade to leather like some higher end units or Class A units. The one thing I don't agree with is the king size bed, some of us are tall and enjoy having a bed that actually fits them inside an RV. That said, they could offer a choice so we both have our option.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 04:40 PM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Great ideas, David and Vicki. How about a magazine rack in the, er, Reading Room. And something other than that dinky shelf in the commode room. The best suggestions from David and Vicki are for a neutral palette. Put fabrics in the fifth wheels that you would put in YOUR home. The fluffy headboard and fluffy curtains really need to go. Your sales would soar if you made these subtle changes.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 04:41 PM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I do not like that mirror on the front end cap. Would rather see a nice solid front end cap like what was on the Cambridge.

I agree with David on the curtains, would rather see wood valances all the way around the coach.

I agree with David on the headboard. Remove the fully headboard.

Full body paint (like used on the Cambridge) would be a nice option

Install the small 12v lights on the entry stairs, stairs to bedroom, and in the watercloset. (Cambridge feature)

Install toe kick lighting around the kitchen island. (Cambridge feature)

Recessed lighting would be a nice touch. (Cambridge feature)

Leather furniture. Theater seating instead of recliners (optional)

Use more masculine colors. (remember some owners are males under 30)

Solid print on the sofa and bed spread

Soft touch padded ceiling

Back-Lit Entry switches

Door bell

Use shorter window next to kitchen table. (room for exterior window awnings)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 05:02 PM   #6
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Judy--the, er, Reading Room?? LOL LOL!!! But I agree with your idea of a magazine rack in there.

MAC--I agree with the idea of having the option for either a queen or king bed. I got concerned when I saw a post by someone suggesting that the Big Sky had an enlarged bed frame that couldn't be cut down to fit a queen bed--I'd rather not have the frame stick out beyond the queen mattress.

Dave--I agree with your suggestions on the wood valences and electrical lights--haven't tried the mirror on the front cap yet, so don't know where I come out with that one. Your suggestions also reminded me on another one I have--redo the light switch for the commode room--sorry the "Reading Room"--so you can turn the ceiling light on in that space without turning on the light outside the commode room at the same time.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:16 PM   #7
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Wow, pretty soon we're going to have the perfect unit! Keystone should have asked us sooner. Oh, that's right...they didn't ask us this time either.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:36 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
David,
I'm gonna see to it that the boys at Keystone get this info. I will be seeing Aram today at the show and I will be hand carrying a copy of this thread.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:12 AM   #9
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
My steps will not allow wrap around pads on the bottom step. The clearance is too low when folding up.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:03 AM   #10
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
My wife, who has been out of town for the last two days, just chimed in and told me that she likes the glass doors in the pantry. Therefore WE now like the glass doors in the pantry. LOL!!!

My OCD has struck again, so I went back thru my list of notes of projects that others have done to their Montanas. The list is too long to insert here, but here are some highlights of ones that would be easier for Keystone to do than for each of us to have to do:

ELECTRICAL OUTLETS--in commode room (for a night light),in the front storage compartment (to plug in rechargeable tools, etc.) and under the front overhang for outside projects.

12v LIGHT OVER BATHROOM SINK

BASEMENT DOOR CATCHES--add latches to the driver's side basement storage doors so they don't bang into you when the wind blows.

BEEF UP PLASTIC WIRE HOLDERS UNDER SLIDES--many people have reported having to add stainless steel hinges to the plastic wire holders under the slides because the plastic breaks from frequent flexing. Please remedy this.

HOT WATER HEATER SWITCH--put a switch inside the Big Sky with which you can shut off electrical power to the hot water heater when needed--like when campground voltage drops and you start popping circuit breakers.

UNDERBED STORAGE--cut the plywood cover in two pieces so it can be removed, and items stored in the space beneath. Enclose any part of the slider mechanism that could catch on goods stored under the bed.

SCREEN DOOR OPENER--many people have jury rigged a wire that lets them open up the screen door from inside. Ask Glenn or others for details on how this is done.

CHANGE BIFOLD DOORS FOR WASHER/DRYER CLOSET--with the curent bifold door configuration, the doors get in the way of access to some of the washer/dryer controls. An alternative configuration would be to have the doors open individually from the middle. Steve Riegel can provide more details.

SHELVES OVER WASTE TANK HANDLES--to keep the handles from being damaged by cargo.

IQ SMART CHARGER FOR CONVERTER
HARD WIRED SURGE PROTECTOR
FURNACE FILTER
MUDFLAPS ON THE FIVER
SPARE TIRE SUPPORT--beef up the support of the spare tire--people are worried it could come loose.

Sorry, I have to run. May add more later. This is fun!!!
Old 01-18-2007, 04:20 AM   #11
refocused
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6586
I agree with most all the suggestions - especially the one re: headboard - if you just had a wood frame headboard then you would have an easier time changing your bedspread - not real crazy about the bedspread that is coming with our rig - like the idea, also, of the built-in surge protector - we are going to have our dealer install that before we take delivery - of course, all these improvements cost money!
Suzanne
refocused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:18 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I defer the interior decorating to the Wife..this come from a guy who if allowed to dress him self would look like Clarabelle the clown.'What may look "fluffy" to a guy looks "Lovely" to the wife. We have made 7 of the above 10 mods to our 3400.What we have to ask ourselves and will be the determining factor in Keystone making this or any upgrade is...Will the consumer pay the price and will if Keystone makes the upgrade stay competitive in the market...that is the reality...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:33 AM   #13
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Certainly agree regarding the king bed - we prefer queen and extra space around the bed. And, prefer not to have fabric headboard, that way you can use your own spread, comforter, etc.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:36 AM   #14
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
That fluffy headboard can be removed easily. Ours is sitting in the back of the closet at the stick house somewhere. A wooden headboard would be nice, maybe with a simple fabric insert (One color, neutral) to cut down on cost and weight. We have seen improvements. Bedspreads used to be that slippery, motel fabric.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:07 AM   #15
Rocky2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2840
I agree with all of these and especially the headboard - it is a real dust catcher and really too fru fru for even some of us ladies.

Laura
Rocky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 10:11 AM   #16
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
I wish they would bring back the door between the bath and bedroom. We have that on our 3670RL and really love that feature. Also like having the bathroom sink on the bathroom side of that door. Unfortunately, most now seem to have the sink in the bedroom area and no door or curtain. I guess it's a trade-off to have other features. Would also like to have 12V over the bathroom sink. We do love what we now have and are not anxious to trade. Many of the modifications have been done by individuals who are very handy and talented. My husband moved the light switch for the comode room to the inside, so I won't accidentally turn the light on him in the middle of night.
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 10:52 AM   #17
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Although the Big Sky looks nearly perfect to me - a few for your list David -

BTW - Leather chairs is already a Big Sky option.

Mid-turn lights (Cambridge)

100 gal freshwater tank (Cambridge)

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:44 AM   #18
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
A larger refrigerator but don't take away any of the cabinet space.
A larger bathroom but don't take away any cabinet or dresser space.
But remember, we still don't want any added weight or cost. LOL

Seriously, I would be very happy with the more neutral fabrics and forget about the flowers, grapes, checks and plaids. If I want them I add pillows and towels in the patterns that I like.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:45 AM   #19
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Brad,
I am curious where you found leather furniture is optional on the Big Sky?? I do not have that listed on any of the paper work I have for it. Does it apply only to the recliners? Thanks~
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:02 PM   #20
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Montana Sky,

I pulled it from the options on the webpage:

Soft Touch/Leather Recliner/Glider IPO Cloth
2nd Soft Touch/Leather Recliner/Glider IPO Cloth

Assuming it's only available for the recliners and not the couch.

Brad
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote