Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2006, 03:35 AM   #1
bardave
Established Member

M.O.C. #5894
shower stalls

this is what I wrote in a recent forum message...
[u]still looking at 3 floor plans in the Montana.... the 3400 (most popular I hear)...but I prefer having two windows at bedside, near the head board...another one we like is the rear kitchen 3650 RK (hear problems with brokden dishes in a rear kitchen) and the third one we are looking at is the 3600RL ...but like the others it too has carpeting around bathroom sink... I think Montana need a woman on their design staff... not sure a women would have done that.
AND....the shower in every unit looks like it came from a cheap plastic factory out of China... so cheap looking and flimsy ...also a mold producer around that gap near the bottom.... the salesman told me I could put caulking around that gap at the bottom... why cant he do it? cant figure why Montana builds what appears to be such a nice coach and puts a cheap piece of crap like that in for a shower stall....makes me wonder what other corners they have cut. the shower stall may be a dealbreaker for us... Salesman also says he THINKS they could put in a new shower stall... sure dont want to hear I THINK they can do it.... any body having problems with their shower, i.e. leaking, mold, cleaning, falling apart etc.....

received a couple replys...one said they caulked their shower stall...another answer says they caulked their shower stall and it caused delamination on the outside of the coach right where the shower is located.. due to moisture not being able to escape...

any comments about caulking or not caulking.. my wife just thinks that space at the bottom of the shower is going to be a mold problem... and yours is the only coach ...excuse me...5th wheel... that has a two piece shower stall...just cant figure out why..

bardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 03:54 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
No to caulking,

Wipe down that area real good after showers, no mold yet.

Good luck in your research and purchase.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 04:26 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Welcome bardave to the MOC family.

Over the years I have looked at many different brands of fifth wheels and I could probably make the same comments about the showerS in every other brand. We have had our Monty for nearly 3 years and as full timers have been dragging it around for the past 33 months without any leaking, mold, cleaning, falling apart etc..... problems with the shower stall. Least wise not the plastic part. Early on we did have a slight problem with the shower door dragging. Tighten the screws where the glass enclosure attaches to the wall and the problem was solved.

As far as carpeting in the bathroom? Yes I am a male but I don't see the problem with the carpeting and neither does Lorraine. In fact we had wall to wall carpeting in our stick house and that included the bathroom. After crawling out of a warm bed, I would much rather be standing on a carpeted floor on those chilly winter mornings than on some COLD tile floor. In fact we bought throw rugs for what tile does show and that includes the tile floor in the toilet area.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 05:30 AM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We certainly have had no problems with our shower stall and I don't think it is "a piece of c...". This one is much nicer and easier to keep clean than the previous fivers we have had. Carpet in front of sink - love it. Put a small rug down that can be washed if you are afraid of the carpet getting dirty. Our stick house has carpet in front of the sinks and is no harder to keep clean than any other area in the house. Like Glenn we put a rug in the toilet area also. I don't want to get that awake (when your warm feet hit cold floor) in the middle of the night.
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 08:47 AM   #5
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
We have never had a problem with our shower stall, and I disagree about the comment on the construction. You should keep in mind the weight of the unit. Some of the higher priced units, some double or more what the Montana costs, also have considerable more weight to tow.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 09:15 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I would like to hear the answer to the question bardave asked.To caulk or not to caulk.I could not see how water forming and or draining behind the walls of the shower stall could not cause a problem over time. Asked the contractor who did our bathrooms about that and he said "Say what" Says you need to prevent moisture from getting between the walls not encourage it.I will not say the stall is any better or any worse than others in other units ..but..it is a cheapy and tacky looking. IMO.Carpet on the bathroom floor...I am a guy..don't care..Helen says carpet on the bathroon floor is a bad thing.Same in the kitchen. I kind of like carpeting everywhere..but I am a guy..what do I know????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 12:47 PM   #7
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
The shower material is just about the only thing that I don't like about our 3400 Montana. I too think it is a little cheap looking compared to the rest of the Monty. I would have prefered that they had a one piece shower like our old rig. Oh well we looked at tons of units because of the shower, but we came back to the Montana.

Not sure if it leaks as we haven't had it long enough. We have been told not to caulk around the tub by the service manager. He told us not to worry as there is a tall lip behind the wall. I am guessing that if you caulked it and water was able to get behind the tub siding that mold could grow because it would stay damp if air couldn't get to it. Just a guess, but heah I have a son in mold remediation and I have heard him talk about the reasons it starts and why it can hide from you.
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 02:06 PM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ok..the caulk or not to caulk has got ole Rich Going again..Phone calls to keystone to find the guy "who knows the answer" is in order.Our contractor says that he has never heard of encouraging water and mosture behind a shower wall and has keystone never heard of "green board" Also when a dealer tells you "not to worry" alarms go off.
Old 07-29-2006, 05:56 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Just returned from a visit to C.W they are also a RV dealer. Looked at several different brands including a 366 Everest.Looked at two things,,Fit and finish and "shower stalls" IMO the fit and finish in the Montana, although it could be much better, is far better than the other brands we looked at..far better. The Everest has a docking station but it is different than the one on my 3400 Montana. IMO the docking station on the Montana is way more functional. The shower surround in the Everest is a "Class act" Smooth panels and it looks like marble. The interior is more "eye appealing" than the Montana.. NOW..The showers stalls in ALL the 5th wheels and TT's no matter what the brand were NOT caulked anywhere and were attached to the walls like the Montana ones are...HOWEVER..in the higher dollar Motor homes the shower surrounds were attached to the walls and caulked all the way around. Why are there different rules for TT's, Fivers and Motor homes on shower stalls..Could it be a cost savings measure then company rhetoric to justify it..Hummmm.. Questions to ask of the factory>>>
Old 07-29-2006, 10:24 AM   #10
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
The shower in our 2001 3280RL does not show any signs of mold or moisture damage. There is no caulking. Sometimes it is better to let it breathe then to seal it up tight. The rules for stick homes are different mainly because there is flex in an RV that you won't have in a stick home.

The carpet issue is probably more a personal preference. Our carpet throughout is showing its age and shampooing helps some but we probably need to consider replacement. Then we will have to consider what to put around the bathroom and shower areas.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote