Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC REGIONAL CAMPING CLUBS > North American MOC/Northeast Region
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2005, 03:58 AM   #1
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
recommend a route

I haven't made a reservation yet. I'll be leaving from NH and plan on attending.

I would like to know from those who travel more frequently than I, Which route you would take from different areas.

Such as from Nothern Maine, Boston, NYC, Albany, Philly, Ohio, Michigan. Where ever you have knowledge of.

From (CITY) to help out others that may have questions regarding roads (potholes,construction), bridges, height limitations, Ferry, Tolls, Traffic, and anything else you can think of.

My last trip out to lake Ontario (mexico point) was a few years ago but I wasn't towing and didn't pay much attention to the routes I took. Basically Interstate 90 to 81 to Polaski. Only problem with this was the rush hour through Albany. So any recomendations. Maybe start a new thread for Traveling from the "North", "South", "East", "West", Or something like "Interstate XXX" "take exit ??" then watch out for .......

Just a thought

Old 04-03-2005, 03:26 PM   #2
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
Good idea. I generally plan out a route using mapblast.com, then compare it to a truckers atlas to ensure that there are no road restrictions (low bridges, weight limits, etc.).

Another possibility is looking online for directions to a nearby attraction. Then just figure out directions from there. I'll look into doing something like that.

Fred
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 01:28 AM   #3
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
I'm probably leaving here NH, on Thursday before rush hour for the rally. One of the maping software packages has me traveling Vermont RT9 onto NY9. Has anyone traveled this route?

I've talked to friends and they said it can be hilly and is basically a 2 lane road not bad for traffic, and is scenic. But none of them have towed over this road. I'm wondering about fuel stops and any other hazzards I should be aware of. I know parts are curvey.

The other route is I90 through Albany. Both claim it's a little over 4 hours but I think the internet estimates are based on interstate speeds and not towing.

I haven't used my street atlas package yet. At least I can adjust and customize road speeds.

Anyone have any thoughts? My last trip to Lake Ontario was I90 non towing for a fishing trip.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:29 AM   #4
Al B
Established Member

M.O.C. #3654
I-90 is your best bet. You will pay tolls on Mass Pike and NYS Thruway, but it's a much easier drive. We live in Albany area and that is how we would go to your area. Rt. 9 in NY is stop and go in some areas and not the kind of road you would want to go on if you're towing.
Al B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 04:26 PM   #5
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Chris and Donna,
According to my Street's program
If you take Rt 9, yes it is hilly it is about 170 miles.
If you go down Rt 3 I495 to I90 MA pike to Albany and up it is 217 miles, but not as hilly as Rt 9.
We are going from Moultonborough cross lots to I89 then Rt 4 over, a couple hills but a nice ride.
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote