Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2012, 05:40 AM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Mackinaw City, Michigan CG's

We will be staying in Mackinaw City area for 5 days this spring can anybody recommend a good place to stay?

Thanks!

RKassl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:26 AM   #2
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
You'll get some "Where not to stay" responses from MOC Great Lakes Rally folks from a few years back. We stayed across the bridge on north side (St. Ignace)on our trip thru there in 2008.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #3
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

We stayed at Macinaw Mill Creek Campground in 2004. I really liked the campground but at that time we had a much smaller unit (Airstream). The only problem I noticed was that most of the sites were very tight to get into. We got in ok but I don’t think I could have gotten the Monty in where we were parked at then. I remember seeing larger units, M/H etc… but they seemed to have the end spots. If you call ahead and specify a site for the size of your rig you might be ok. I wouldn’t hesitate to stay there again even with the Monty but I would definitely make certain when I made the reservations that I had a place large enough to get into. It is a very nice park!

Old 01-19-2012, 02:30 PM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Maybe just don't tell the management you are a member of the MOC if you want to go into Mill Creek.

Yes, we had a bad experience there. I will find another place to stay next time we are up that way.

Had an upsetting experience in the KOA over on the other side of the bridge, too. SIGHHH. If you want to know what it was, contact me via PM. To bring it up on the forum will just start a shouting war and get this thread shut down. SIGHHH

Also, check your dates on when things really open up. I am going to bet most stuff is not open till around Memorial Day. We have been there in the dead of winter, and believe me they call it the dead of winter for a reason. WOW!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:21 AM   #5
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
We stayed at the KOA in Mackinaw City in the fall of 2010 and thought it was okay.

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
navybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:05 AM   #6
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
You also could try the state park in St.Ignace.I have know idea when they open for the season. You can google the St. Ignace state park, mill creek, and the KOA. I know mill creek will give you a 10% discount with a Good Sam card. Check out the cost at the state park because you are out of state but it still might be cheaper than the private parks. The state park is good and clean and this time of the year you could get a water front site with a excellent view of the Mackinaw Bridge. Pack warm clothing, lake water is still cold.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:56 AM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
We finished the UP trip this past year. We stayed at Lakeshore RV Campground in St. Ignace. We found it sufficient for our needs in the 40' SOB. We met a couple with a Montana and we give them a MOC card.

We road around the area for 4-5 days sightseeing and considering location, location, location, the campgrounds were satisfactory. Lakeshore pull throughs where very close together, but we had great neighbors and didn't mind. The view was spectacular, and a walk down to the beach gave an unobstructed view of the Mackinaw Bridge. It was a short ride into town and nearby restaurants and attractions. We took the boat ride over to the Island and had a good time.

Happy trails.

Edited: The State park only has electric if I remember correctly. No water/sewer but they have a dump station.

Another one we visited and would stay at was Tiki RV Park. It is almost down town St. Ignace. A little tight maneuvering, but there were some big rigs in there. Price seemed to be right also.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote