Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2008, 02:22 PM   #1
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Warranty on Sleeper Couch Mattress

We took Bella in for warranty work two weeks ago and Doug picked her up yesterday. One of the outstanding items relates to the Sleeper Couch Mattress and I am currently a bit off put by where we currently stand and am hoping for a positive outcome, but thought it worthwhile to post this thread.

We used Bella for our first long trip in late June/early July. Due to the very high fuel prices, rather than taking both our and my parents' 5er on the trip we decided to "consolidate" and just take Bella. Plan was for Doug and I to use the sleeper couch and my parents to use the bedroom. (Piccola and Lupo "need" to go outside once or twice at night when we are using Bella as they hear things and "need" to check out what's happening. Our using the "guest" bed seemed to be the best way to deal with that "need.")

Well we woke up VERY soon after going to sleep to a FLAT mattress! Remembering a number of postings here we checked the valve at the end of the mattress to ensure it was properly closed. It was. We reinflated the mattress only to have it go flat again. So, middle of the night, fold up mattress, stow it and close the couch. Pull out one of the twin air mattresses (I have two "backups" extra guests, but only brought one to conserve on space use/weight.) one of us on the mattress on the floor the other of us on the closed couch (with feet hanging off the end).

We had some PDI warranty issues and were waiting for new parts that the dealership had ordered so just added this to the "list of those things you find no matter how good a PDI you do" and when we got the call that the ordered parts had come in we provided the list to the dealership.

Pre-pickup of Bella the service representative told us that Keystone was giving them a hard time about replacing the mattress and that they have to check for pin holes or other signs of damage before they'll replace it. WELL, here's the deal, its under warranty, it doesn't work as advertised, IF there are holes in the mattress then the only thing I can attribute it to is how the thing has to be stored and deployed which to me is a design flaw which falls to the feet of the manufacturer. Trust me, I was meticulous in opening it up and folding it when we did the PDI due to your posts here on the forum. So I am HOPING that Keystone will wind up stepping up to the plate before this is all done and replace the mattress without any further problems.

I am cautiously optimistic based upon all the wonderful things you all have said about Keystone honoring their warranty and working so well with its customers. In the interim we are back to using the back up twin mattresses for this coming trip over the holidays as my nephew and grandson will be joining us for part of the time we are at Silver River State Park. However, that isn't what I was planning on so I am not in the best frame of mind entering into my vacation trip. (Though, I will get over it!! LOL)

Some thoughts I do have with regard to safeguarding the NEW mattress in the future is that I will purchase a piece of indoor/outdoor carpeting cut to a bit larger than the size of the sleeper bedframe so that it actually hangs over the edges a bit and place that between the frame and the mattress. The mattress will be stored in a cloth sack that I will make (...though Doug that someone said that it came with a storage bag from the factory...if that is the case, we didn't get one...the mattress was just on the floor in between the couch, floor, and wall upon receipt...mmm....) and will be placed somewhere safe in between uses.

HOPEFULLY, Keystone has/will get the message that there is a problem with the sleeper couch set up and work on a fix that minimizes/eliminates "deflatitious" and the need to go to back up mattresses! :-)

Robin

eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:12 AM   #2
greener
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7882
Our mattress got a very small hole from being folded wrong in the frame and cut by the hinges prior to it`s first use. I contacted Flair that supplies them to Keystone and of course they don`t cover holes only leaks on the seams. I have patched it but haven`t used it since. It`s being stored under our bed for now.
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:42 PM   #3
The Old Fogies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8908
I have a fiend that purchased a Monty about a month before we got ours. His mattress had a hole in it the first time he tried to use it. He was told buy the dealer that Keystone would not cover it under the warranty. After his warning I have been very careful how we store it. We have grands that go with us often.
I agree that if there is a design problem that they should fix the problem.

The Old Fogies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 12:47 AM   #4
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
You know, I understand this is an ongoing issue with air mattresses. We have the cheap regular mattress in ours (pre air)and carry an air unit to supplement it. That bar in the back is no fun.
If I had ONLY the air mattress I would be forced into carrying a spare. You can find them cheap enough if you look around and I sure wouldn't let it ruin an outing. Air mattresses have been problematic since day one.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 02:27 PM   #5
jwentz9059

M.O.C. #8822
We had the same problem with our new montana air matress. It got pinched in the hinging mechanism. Dealer advised montana was not going to replace (only 1 month old). We contacted montana customer service and they replaced it. We now store our new one folded up in the sliding drawer under the couch. So contact customer service. Good luck.
jwentz9059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 03:31 PM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Our 3400RL air mattress developed a leak. Unit still under warranty and was replaced. Don't know why there would be a difference between dealerships.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote