Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2007, 04:49 PM   #1
jeffwilliams1954
Established Member

M.O.C. #7585
Heads UP if you have Verizon Air Card

Hi everyone,
I just wanted to say I have had my Verizon service(National Access, Broadband Access plan) for over a year now and until recently did I discover something with my bill. It raised $18. for the last month. This is a unlimited plan IT SHOULD NOT RAISE. Anyway, it comes to find out I have a third party text messaging company charging me for text messages that they sent ME! I have never used text messages or did I even know I had it through my VZAccess Manager, which is what I use to connect to the internet. Well I was being charged $10 extra a month for this service and didn't even know it existed. I have since had it taken off of my bill. Verizon counldn't even take if off the bill since it was a third party company. I had to use this text message just to cancel it. You can cancel the service if you have by sending a text message to this number: 26706 , Then write that you want to cancel your subscription. This is the way I did it and now my bill is $10 less a month now. I hope this isn't happening to any of you out there. The easy way to check is to open your VZAccess Manager and see if you have been receiving any text messages under the text catagory, example: daily weather bug forecasts. Good luck and I hope this helps if you have a problem.

jeffwilliams1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 05:29 PM   #2
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
Jeffwilliams1954,

I'd say it would be a good idea to check regardless of what company you are dealing with. Sprint, ATT or whoever. Check it out and make sure you're not being overcharged.

Thanks for the heads up.

RVWheels
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 01:19 AM   #3
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
I had the same thing happen to me. Mine was an extra $25.00. When I called Verizon they put a "no text" on my account and gave me the phone # of the outside source to get my $25.00 back. I called it and they said that I wasn't even on their list so I called Verizon back again and they did credit my acct. for the extra charges. They were very nice about it too but it sure makes you wonder how these things happen in the first place.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 02:15 AM   #4
Alex Sian
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7171
Send a message via AIM to Alex Sian
jeff/helen, can you tell us name of company that was charging you for the unsolicited text message service?
Alex Sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 01:35 PM   #5
jeffwilliams1954
Established Member

M.O.C. #7585
EVDOalex, The text messaging was being charged under the usages charges on the bill and it does not say anywhere that is is a third party company. When I spoke with Verizon they did not tell me who either, they just told me I needed to text to the number I listed above and tell them to cancel my subscription. I didn't ever even speak with anyone other than Verizon. It's funny when I bought this aircard that no one at the Verizon store mentioned getting charged for anything but the unlimited service I wanted. Yes it is partly my fault for not paying close attention to my bill, but from now on I won't miss a beat.
jeffwilliams1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 02:44 PM   #6
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Sorry Alex,
Once Verizon credited my account I threw the info away on who I talked to... I will tell you that they were very rude though. When I first told them that Verizon told me to call them to get a credit to my account, he said he couldn't do that.. I asked him why he could put a charge on my account without my permission but couldn't put a credit on. We went round and round and finally he said that I wasn't even on their list.. (Not very nicely though) so by this time I was really angry and called CS at Verizon again... They were very nice and said that they would take care of it.. Which they did.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 05:56 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I am on hold to cancel text messaging on ours as I single finger type this. OK, I just talked with the customer service rep, a very polite and helpful person, by the way. They cannot "remove" the text messaging feature since it is part of the packaging. However, they can add text message block, at no charge, which accomplishes the same thing.

Thanks for the headsup!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 06:25 AM   #8
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
We have AT&T/Cingular and we also have had text messaging blocked. We did not use it and we were getting unsolicited text messages. AT&T told us they could block all text messages to our numbers.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:46 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Strange..We do not have that option on our verizon aircard, never did,,I checked the billing..nothing there We are only charged for the aircard?? Got mine through what was then Booster antenna..Wonder if that is the difference???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 04:10 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
It doesn't show up in billing unless there were messages. It is part of the basic package and thus the feature is not separately billed. Check your account online at the verizon website and there you will see it when you look at the features you have. Also, I found nothing online to block it or eliminate the feature. I had to call them. I may have missed it online.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:55 PM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
OK Steve..I see that but there is no extra charge for that.. it is .15 cents per min on a pay as you go basis.. Am I corret on that ??? as far as I know I have never received a text msg as my total bill is the same every month.

On closer examination...I have two accounts with verizon..the cell phone and the aircard. There are several features on both of them, Like the GPS feature 9.99 per month..that are part of the bundle but billed seperatly and can be added or removed.. however they will not let you do that on line....hummmm....I smell a rat... Other features are text mesg//.99 per month and on the cell phone 250 additional text msg's 5.00.. We will have a chat with Verizon Monday....
Old 11-10-2007, 03:15 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm not an expert on this, Rich, but my understanding is you are correct. There is no charge for the service. You are charged if and when you send OR receive a text message. And that's the concern. Apparently folks are getting unsolicited text messages from those trying to sell you something. Kinda like the telemarketer phone calls to a cell phone. That's why I had the service turned off on ours, so nobody can send me a text message, period.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:23 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There is a lot of stuff in that "bundle" that we are apparently paying for weather we use them or not like the GPS feature. I am "annoyed" to put it mildly that we were not informed about what was included in the "bundle" and if we had a choice to buy it or not....I can not tolerate folks or organizations that do not tell the truth. I do agree that the text msg feature should be turned off as well as some of the other features....we will see...