Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2007, 03:11 PM   #1
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
need expert advice on exterior maintenance

I need to preface this post with a tremendous THANK YOU to all of the "seasoned veterans" out there. We have a 9 month old 3400 RL that has been stationary most of the time since we took delivery, as it has been our home while our retirement "stick house" is being built. I know with the onset of our South Texas summer upon us that it needs some exterior "protection" to keep its "good looks". I have perused the site and it seems that the 303 Protectant is a universally approved product. I emailed the company's website and they called me back within an hour! Our coach has the gel coat (I believe) on the nose and tail, but not the body. Before we ordered the unit I accessed the collective knowledge of this site and the consensus seemed to be that the extra weight of having the gelcoat on the entire unit was not advisable. Hope I didn't screw up on that decision. Anyway, it is now time to give the exterior some attention. I am more concerned about labor than material cost. So, you experts out there-what should I do? I am tempted to wash the entire unit (WHAT SHOULD I USE FOR THIS?) and then apply 303 everywhere, roof, sides, etc., etc. I am not wealthy, but I want my unit to look good and stay well maintained for as long as possible. Great minds have recommended various automotive waxes (e.g. Turtle Wax), but I know those will harm the decals. Those of you who love your Monty like I do, what do you do to your coach? THANKS.

drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 03:55 PM   #2
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
This is only to share from my own personal experience. I wash the exterior with some kind of "Wash 'n Wax". Then in addition I wax ONLY the front cap in order to make it easier to clean off bugs after each trip. If it needs it I will often wash and/or wax the front cap because of heavy bug deposits, even when I do not wash the entire unit. Our Montana will be five years old next month (May). The liquid wax I have used is McGuires Tech (or something like that--it's too late at night for me to go out to be more specific.

The significance of this is: our graphics are in almost new appearance. In fact, I wax right over them. Less frequently I wax the rear cap. I have never waxed any other portion of the trailer.

I probably do not need to repeat that I have chosen to use the Thetford roof cleaner, and we have never had black streaks.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 04:06 PM   #3
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
I just got done wash and wax my unit as its now 11 months old and the same as yours front and back but not the sides in gloss fiberglass.. i used a good car soap ,, no power washer as it will peal the decals ,, and boat brush as its soft and then i waxed with mcguires #56 wax as its a hard finish but it was a big job as i used 2 buffers , 1 to put the wax on and then by hand to get the wax off and then buffed it good as its a nice high luster
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 05:41 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ours is a 11 month old 3400 non high gloss gel coat. We use a dish detergent to get off all the dirt, grime, and other junk.Awesome to clean the caulking. We use Blue Coral liquid wash and wax as the final touch.Advances in Wax technology mean you no longer have to take hours and much elbow grease and many gallons of sweat to hand wax anything.We use the same method on the truck and cars. The 3400 is in the driveway, clean and shinny.It rained last night and the water is beaded up on the camper and truck.Carnuba also makes a spray on wax that is easy to apply and shines up nice.Our solution to keeping the bugs off the cap is to clean them off after every trip.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 06:33 AM   #5
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Rich,

Your idea of cleaning the bugs off the cap at the end of each trip is a good plan, wish I had your discipline, but not very practical for us as fulltimers, 'cause we're either out in the boondocks or travelling.

I just cleaned our cap after about 2 months, I thought it was going to be a big job, but I used some hot water with just a touch of DAWN dishwashing liquid and bounce sheets. After wiping the bugs with the solution and the bounce sheet, I then went back and scrubbed the little buggers off with the bouonce sheets! Very, very easy....will continue to use the bounce sheets and dawn..this whole operation to get a shiny coach took less than 20 minutes...just thought I would pass along this find.

Robbie
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 06:36 AM   #6
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
I downloaded the exterior maintenance chapter of the owners manual. It says to wax the Filon about twice a year, wax the gel coat, and wash the plastic. Washing is recommended with a car and RV wash soap.

Great way to be outside.
genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 08:11 AM   #7
madeforeachother
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6748
Where can the caulking cleaner Advance be purchased? We have looked in Walmart and all of the grocery stores on our latest trip around the country to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.
madeforeachother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 08:26 AM   #8
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
madeforeachother,

Awesome can be purchased at most 'Dollar" stores. Yep, it costs a dollar....and it works real well for caulk and black streaks...I use it to clean the tires too! ...did I mention I clean the grill with it also??
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 12:19 PM   #9
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
I use a good auto wax/polish on the nose cap (like Nu Finish), and just today got a bottle of "Protect All" than Wrenchtraveller swears by, for the rest of the rig...haven't tried it yet.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 04:58 AM   #10
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
I just use Gel-Gloss Wash/Wax (pink stuff) and 303. No hand waxing. But may wax the nose one day. So far so good.
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote