Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > Archived - MOC WEB SITE & COMPUTER TECH HELP > Archived MOC Geek Squad
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2005, 02:11 PM   #1
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
Explorer causing invalid fault pages

I am getting a lot of invalid fault pages on my computer. If anyone thinks they can help email or pm me I can send you the messages I've been getting

ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 08:57 AM   #2
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Ron -

I don't know if you got this resolved, but if you go to Microsoft's site they should be able to find an FAQ on this topic. Sometimes these microsoft questions can be tricky. We just had Outlook come up with a "Interface not registered" error and resolved it by doing a Google search. If I come across anything, I will let you know. It would be helpful to have the exact wording.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 09:00 AM   #3
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Ron -

Check this site:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q237888/

Thanks to the question and answer session at the rally I knew how to insert the hyperlink.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:41 PM   #4
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
I'm going to solve it with a new computer. Should be shipped tomorrow. Getting faster and more memory with dvd burner. It's a dell. I have had good luck with them. This one is about 3 or 4 years old. With the digital pictures it is not fast enough. Still getting fault page errors not to worry.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 03:29 AM   #5
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Ron,you might want to download the Firefox browser. It's free and I switched... also less security risks than with IE.

Dave
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 04:45 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ronstan

I'm going to solve it with a new computer. Should be shipped tomorrow. Getting faster and more memory with dvd burner. It's a dell. I have had good luck with them. This one is about 3 or 4 years old. With the digital pictures it is not fast enough. Still getting fault page errors not to worry.
I have a one year old Dell desktop and like it very much.We also downloaded Foxfire and used it for awhile and it performed well..However...Things to think about..Windows is microsoft software and it is "friendly" to other microsoft based software of which the majority of software out there is...sad but true. Helen used netscape for a long time and had many problems...PC lockups, programs not running or not running properly.I talked her into switching to IE..just for a test period, she did hand has had NO further problems.. and that's the way is is sometimes.. Now I know there are many really good software folks out there who can "work around" tne netscape issues but most users are NOT that expert..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 05:24 AM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Rich
Some of my techies at the school district could not work around the Netscape issues even though it was their choice. When I called in an "expert" he agreed with me that we needed to switch to IE.
Happy trails....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 06:10 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well I don't like to knock netscape or other browsers because they have some features that IMHO are better than IE..However the facts of life are .. Microsoft controls the software industry..it may not be proper but it is fact and microsoft writes their software to be "microsoft friendly" and not so friendly to other browsers. I myself prefer Netscape/ Foxfire but use IE in self defense..
Old 12-04-2005, 09:49 AM   #9
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
After years of fighting with Microsoft software problems, I switched to Apple. Now life is good. My rule, if it doesn't work on Apple, I don't need it. Like I said, Life is good and getting even better.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 10:13 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You are correct about Apple..However.. Microsoft is a lot better now that is was a few years ago and if you want to use your PC to its limits then you have got to go with the flow.Which is I think what Microsoft counts on?????
Old 12-04-2005, 12:03 PM   #11
5rvers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4327
I used to use IE and had no problems, but they do have a lot of security issues especially if you use Outlook Express as your mail tool. I currently use Netscape and don't have any problems. A thing to consider if you have problems accessing web pages is a pop up blocker if you have one. This will prevent you from getting to a web site. Also make sure that you have the file and printer sharing option disabled. This is a way for hackers to get to your computer. If you don't already use it download ZoneAlarm. Its free and can protect your computer from unauthorized users getting access to your computer from the outside. There are also freeware software like Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-Aware. These applications help remove spyware from your computer which with time can really slow down your computer.

Cheers!
5rvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 05:21 PM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Lou! Just downloaded and ran Spybot. Had a few little critters running around on my new HP already... don't take long, does it? I still have to download the Zone program, because I have a home network with open printers and file sharing with my other laptop.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:52 AM   #13
Montana_3956
Established Member

M.O.C. #3956
You all would be a lot happier with your machines if you'd switch to "Mozilla Firefox" It has a lot better security and just may run faster than I.E. It runs all your Windows software AND IT'S FREE!
A lot of you have problems with errors in IE and Firefox just may solve all those problems, as well. No Guarantee but It's a LOT cheaper than a new PC

Montana_3956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 09:19 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I also use Firefox as my primary and fire up IE only for those few pages Firefox has trouble with. My antispyware shows I'm not picking up anything new when using FF. After using IE I have the antispyware do a scan and it always finds a few new bad cookies to delete.

I also use Outlook Express and have no problems picking up any of the critters with it. Norton AntiVirus checks incoming emails and catches many. I also eliminated the VIEW PANE in IE (go to View/Layout and uncheck the view pane box). Any time something shows in the view pane it is tatamount to opening that email. If there is a trojan to be activated by opening an email, it will activate with the view pane. Instead, I doubleclick each email I want to open. If unsure, I rightclick/Properties/Details/Message Source and view the contents without opening the email. Then I decide to delete or open the normal way. This has worked very well for me. If you don't open an email you cannot be infected by it. Get rid of the view pane is my first recommendation. OE has lots of very nice features. I've not found anything I like as well. Just an opinion.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 02:41 PM   #15
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Steve -

Which program do you use for your Travel website? I have enjoyed looking at your pictures and travels. Maybe we'll see you on our way out or back from Colorado.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:59 PM   #16
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Great point on the OE open panes, Steve. I don't like this feature, even on my Mac. I noticed that OE comes with this feature enabled as a default, and I agree with you that it is EXTREMELY dangerous. I immediately disabled this feature when I got my new HP... I want to determine which email I open next... NOT automatically open a email right under one I just deleted. I can't believe MS would set that default up that way. Probably figured that it would be easier for the newbie to use...

I do exactly as Steve (and Mac) do... I use FF and only go to IE when I run into a rare page that will not function propery with FF. Did that with my Mac too, ever since FF came out... used Netscape before that.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:17 PM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ron, that would be great!

I have to admit that despite growing up a techie I take the lazy route for the website. I use Microsoft Word 2000. Vicki does those "postcards" by email. I just open the email and save it html. I also save out each of the pictures since the save as html doesn't save them properly. I then open the html in Word (using the webpage option), insert each picture, and save it as a web page (html). I then open the index (frames) page and put in the new entry and point it to the next page. I can do one of those pages in about 10 minutes. I then use ws_ftp95LE to ftp everything to the website. Then test it. With a good connection I can go start to finish in maybe 15 minutes or less, from email to finished webpage. Also, I split each email into multiple pages, each roughly 100k to 125k for our friends on slow dialup, in case you wondered why I split them.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote