Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2008, 11:33 AM   #1
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Sirius and XM to merge

We decided to put satellite radio in the TV and today I purchased the Sirius Sportster 5. Why the Sportster 5? Well, because it's the most expensive in the vehicle line and that is what I always do, dear! Actually there are some sales going on, but that is the one I decided on and I had it installed "professionally."

However, as I have heard, and was confirmed when I subscribed to the Sirius service, Sirius and XM are merging. They have permission from the FCC, but there are details to be worked out. Example, their receivers operate on different frequencies. FCC has told them to produce one receiver that will cover both sets of frequencies.

I am assuming that when they do merge that provisions will be made for present subscribers of either service to continue to receive both sets of signals.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:29 PM   #2
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Waynem, Only my opinion, I suspect they would look at both sets of music stations and pare it down to one set that both can receive, or broadcast the same ones on both. I can't see them doing two diffrent basic Jazz, or 60's music, classical stations etc. It will be interesting to see what they do with the sports stations and special stations (Howard, Martha, etc).
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 10:55 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well I hope so as we have the sirius in tne 3400 and the truck and the XM in the New Honda...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 11:23 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

--snip--

I am assuming that when they do merge that provisions will be made for present subscribers of either service to continue to receive both sets of signals.
Wayne, you know about ASSUME. Thanks for the post.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:39 PM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Yes John! YOU and ME!
Old 06-07-2008, 04:31 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ah, yes, ASSUME. That used to be something I preached to my staff frequently.

We have Sirius in the truck and in the house. Wasn't the merger approved by the FCC back in January? Or was that a preliminary approval?

Last I heard, when this merger takes place they plan to set up memberships where you can select a package of stations or types of music for a smaller fee than we're paying today. I've heard 6.95 and 8.95 per month but haven't heard either lately. Anyone know any more about this?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 02:46 AM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I have heard that the FCC approved the merger but that Sirius and XM have to come up with a single receiver to receive all sets of frequencies. (All hear-say)