Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2008, 03:30 PM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Better A/C Duct Control

We have never liked the directional A/C vent covers Keystone puts on the Montanas. They never seem to put the air in the right direction. Or we get it right for the kitchen and it's wrong for the dining area. Etc.
We much prefer the non-directional vent covers we had in our old Jayco Eagle.

So, we recently visited a Jayco dealer and purchased five replacement covers for $4.95 each. What a difference! These covers are non-directional. Airflow is 360 degrees. Volume of airflow at each vent is controlled by rotating the disc, which is on a screw mechanism.

We have only had a couple of days where we needed the A/C for a few hours, since installing the new covers. Early returns are the air flow in our Montana is much more evenly distributed, resulting in a more comfortable rig.

Removal of the old covers and replacing with the new ones took a total of less than 15 minutes. The four screw holes in the new cover are almost but not quite the same pattern as on the old. It's a simple matter to relocate the screws. Very simple. I did it with an ordinary electric screwdriver.

Here's a couple of pictures showing how airflow is controlled. Well, it shows different settings, anyhow. The first cover is in the living room. The second is in the bedroom.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:07 PM   #2
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
Steve

I like that change, I noticed the same problem with ours. We can't get the air flow in the right place.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:40 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Nice mod. Steve, I like them.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:49 AM   #4
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Steve that is a great mod.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 02:36 AM   #5
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
It certainly looks to be a better setup, this link is for the same style of cover, although it doesn't mention adjustment for the air flow: RV ceiling AC Outlet

On Edit: Just ordered 5 for $ 13.75 plus $ 7.50 Shipping = $ 21.25 ($ 4.25 ea. Delivered, No Tax)

JP
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 02:54 AM   #6
JimnJulie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5590
Thanks for the mod idea. Like you we had the 360 degree ones in our old Sportsman TT and never had any problems like we are experiencing with these directional ones. Can't wait for it to get hot enough to use the A/C
JimnJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:24 AM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Great idea Steve

Questions:

Can these be totally shut off??? One at a time??
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:55 AM   #8
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Now there is an inexpensive idea worth trying...
I do like the idea of regulation too, so I think those ceiling vent covers and the furnace vent covers will be on that ever growing list.

Steve - how does the sizing line up? Will 4 1/4" fit in there?
I haven't taken mine apart, and the air temp is -17 right now...
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:50 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
JP, that looks to be the same thing and is a good deal. Thanks for a great link!

Ozzie, I didn't measure them but the opening is the same size as those that come on the Montana.

For those having trouble removing the old ones, on the rotating part there are two or three places where there is a small opening, just the right size for a small screwdriver. Just pop one of those with a small screwdriver. There's nothing in that hole to push, just use it to insert the screwdriver and do a quick movement to pop the cover off. It's a press fit with two or three little tabs inside that snap it into place. I had no damage to any of the five I removed, using this procedure. In fact, this is how our dealer showed me to remove them. When that's removed you'll see the four screws to be removed.

Carol, you cannot close them off totally. The disc has some little bump things that appear to be about 1/8 inch or less long. Here's a picture of one of ours closed as far as it will go. While it won't close entirely I would think there would be very little air coming out of there. It's too cool for AC so I can't try it right now. I don't think the AC will even turn on at this temperature. This picture makes the opening look bigger than it is. Compare the opening to the screwhead. The opening is 1/8 inch or less.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:04 AM   #10
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Thanks Steve - I just ordered a set for mine off the link JP provided along with a couple sidewall vents.

The sidewall vents are so I can add my surge guard and future install of an autoformer. Gonna keep these inside in a vented cubby...
Will do a small fan for exchange if needed.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:53 AM   #11
2golfers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4579
Did you guys order the white or bright white
2golfers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:47 AM   #12
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
I tried to get white thinking that would be the best choice, but it ended up not giving me the choice anyway.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:08 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Good idea for use of the old vents. I will steal your idea when I get my autoformer installed also.

Ours are the white. I didn't know there's also a bright white until I looked at that site. Our "white" ones are actually slightly off-white. Buyt you'd really have to look hard to notice it.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:40 PM   #14
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Glad you could use that idea Steve. I'd be sure to screen the backside though...don't need any unwanted guests taking up residence.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:05 PM   #15
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Ok Steve,

Here is the scoop, we went tooling over to the local Jayco dealer this afternoon and they had the vent covers, for $5.75 each, we needed 4, they had 4, we are now proud owners of 4.

NOW, another question, when Al took our one directional current covers off we discovered there is a baffle piece, did you have that??

If we take the baffle piece out of the equation, we see that the cool air will come blowing out of the venting and go side ways right into the area above the ceiling.

Is your unit the same way, with the baffle piece??? Did you leave it and put the new covers on with it still in place?? Or, don't you have a baffle???

Al has discovered we are gonna need longer screws????
Old 02-22-2008, 05:37 AM   #16
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Thanks for the "cool" idea Steve. I have looked at them on the website JP provided and will be ordering mine today (cool white). I think we will get much more uniform cooling than with the vents that came on the rig. I can't wait to see what Ozz will do with these if he gets them....maybe rig them to open and close remotely with mood lighting in the ducts. Its been said here before but I sure do like all of the great ideas that come from the members of this forum.

Jack
Old 02-22-2008, 11:33 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Carol, I've not yet pulled one of mine to check it out after I said in the email I would do that this afternoon. You mentioned Al said he could put the new cover over the old baffle and maybe just drill one new hole. If I find mind is blowing air into the area between ceiling in roof then I'll do the same.

So, everyone, check to see if when you remove the baffle the airflow is going to go above the ceiling. If so, you might want to just remove the cover of the old one and not remove the piece that is screwed into the ceiling. You cold actually remove the screws and attach the new cover to it, putting screws through the whole thing.

I may find mine is fine as is but until I pull it out I won't know for sure. I know when I turned on the AC for a couple of minutes the airflow seemed fine and relatively even around the entire vent. But I didn't have that vent open a long ways and that migh tmake a difference.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:40 AM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Carol, on mine that area above the vent is inside the duct. The end one is closed on three sides. The middle ones are closed on two sides. The open sides are where the air flows through the duct. There is no way for air to go anywhere it is not supposed to. Is yours different?
Old 02-22-2008, 12:39 PM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I could have sworn I posted this picture but I cannot find it now. CRS I guess. Here is what it looks like inside the duct. This is the forward most duct in the bedroom. Close on three sides. Is yours different?
Old 02-22-2008, 03:56 PM   #20
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Believe it is,

Photos maybe tomorrow?? We were tied up today.