Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2005, 10:49 AM   #1
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
Outdoor Cooking?

About to pick up my new Montana Mountaineer 348RLS next week.
What are RV'ers using for outdoor cooking?
On a previous RV I had a gas attachment outside for a two burner stove. Some times we don't want to heat up the inside and don't want to wait on charcoal.
Happy RV'ing.

dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 11:34 AM   #2
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
We use the old stand bys, a Coleman stove and the site’s grill. My father–in–law has bought an electric griddle and it does very well when we cook breakfast together.

Quite honestly, we only use the stove in the Montana when there is inclement weather, but, of course, we are not full timing either.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 12:42 PM   #3
skyguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #940
Send a message via AIM to skyguy
We bought a cheap, portable propane grill from Wal-Mart a year ago. I would not buy this one ever again! I wish I could think of the name, and I don't see it on Wal-Marts website now. It has a red top, and chrome legs that will fold underneath. It uses just a metal plate to distribute the flame. It's nice and portable, but it don't heat worth a hoot!!!

If we're going someplace for a while, I'll stick my good ol regular propane grill just inside the door - it's the last thing in, and first thing out when we get there. Plus add a spare 20 pound tank.
skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 03:12 PM   #4
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
We still like waiting for the charcoal and the flavor it gives the meat. We have one of those charcoal canister style starters, takes about 45 minutes. We use an Aussie grill. We do have a little gas grill we use occasionally but we like the charcoal.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 03:55 PM   #5
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
We also use one of the round cylinder to start our charcoal but we also use a propane grill when in a hurry. We also use a Coleman stove to cook outside especially for breakfast. I have found that if you use a fire starter in the charoal starter it starts a lot quicker.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 08:17 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I use the one Skyguy doesn't like and have been happy with it for several years. I figure he got a bad one. I bought the hose and connection kit from CW so I just connect it to our onboard propane tank. I leave that hose on it all the time, coiled up in the propane locker. I have two 12 ft extensions I can connect to it so I can put the grille just about anywhere I want. Works great.

Oh, I also have a connector on that coiled hose so I can connect to an external 100 lb propane bottle when we are in cold areas. So it serves a double purpose for us.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 08:41 AM   #7
Montana_4118
Established Member

M.O.C. #4118
Love the charcoal flavor... Use the small version of the Big Green Egg grill / smoker. We light the egg with an electric "loop" style starter. Only takes about 10 minutes to get the lump going. The only problem with the egg is that it is heavy, but it will fit in the storage area under the steps.

Good Luck!
Montana_4118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 11:01 AM   #8
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
We have a Weber Q grill. It folds up and we keep it in the basement when travelling. I put a connection on the propane tank on the unit and hook onto the tank under the awning. We have a frittle which we do the bacon and eggs and hash browns for breakfast. We grill every night and keep the heat out of the unit.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 11:40 AM   #9
Gonfishin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3604
Like most, we hardly ever cook inside. I carry a small propane grill but have yet to use it this year. I carry firewood and start a fire in the fire pit just before dinner time. I cook on the fire pit using a grill grate. After dinner the fire is already going for S'mores if need be. I also use the coleman to cook sides outside as well.
Rick
Gonfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 02:23 PM   #10
palebluedot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #36
Here is a novel way to ignite charcoal. Make your pile of brickettes and include a generous amount of hickory chips intermingled with them. Then use a paint stripper heat gun to ignite the chips. You have to place the nozzle of the gun directly on the hickory chips but they will start to burn in about 45 seconds. Then back the nozzle off about a foot and let the forced air from the gun do its thing. Takes a couple of minutes to get the stack going good, but you don't have to wait for the charcoal lighter to burn off - indeed you have no lighter taste in you food at all.
palebluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 02:46 PM   #11
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
We are getting great results from the red-topped portable that Steve is using and Skyguy had issues with. Got it at Wally World for $20 (still had 'em as late as last season). VERY efficient with the small green propane canisters. Had several cookouts (including a full-scale 25-person BBQ-- all hotdogs and brats) before we ran out of gas. Stores easily with the canisters in our front locker. Great for fulltimers who lean toward ultra-compact equipment.
Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 04:33 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Pete Alford

Stores easily with the canisters in our front locker. Great for fulltimers who lean toward ultra-compact equipment.
Exactly my reasoning. If we had more room in the basement I'd go for a larger folding grille but we just don't have the room.

When vacationing/weekending we almost always cooked outdoors, rarely indoors. But, fulltiming seems to be different. Now we grille outside sometimes but most often cook inside. It's just about the same frequency as when we had the stick home. Just one of the many differences we find between fulltiming and our weekending days. Strange, huh?

I guess my taster is defective 'cause I still cannot taste a difference between food grilled over charcoal and that over our gas grille. I know many people say they can tell the difference so apparently when tasters were handed out I got shorted.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 01:41 AM   #13
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
I'm with gonfishing on this one. We light a fire shortly after we get there and keep it going all weekend long. We cook Breakfast, Dinner and Supper over teh wood fire. Granted I have to spend a couple of weeks every year cutting and spliting firewood. but it's good exercise and a friend and I have a gas powered log spliter that we share. We love to see theose other guys when they are starting there fires with the branches they find and wet wood that is no where near ready to burn, and the pour all that "Girl Scout Juice" as we like to call it all over the fire. We just start a small fire and keep building on it until we have enought coals to cook over. My trailer is loaded to the guills with cast iron pots and pans. Nothing like a good old wood fire.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 04:06 AM   #14
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
We use our little black rectangular Weber that we've had for years, I think we got it at Lowes. Just hook up the little green propane tank and away you go. We do quite a bit of outdoor BBQing so far and love it. This Weber is only about 12" X 18" so stores away easily.
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 05:41 AM   #15
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
We found a nice portable propane grill at Lowe's for $39.95. Can't recall the brand, but the supports fold under when you are finished and it fits in the basement just fine - 'course we don't have as much stuff in the basement as some, but this grill is easy to use and works for us.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 05:51 AM   #16
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
Funny, Steve, we found the exact same thing at our house! Now that we're fulltiming, our cooking regimens are just like they were at the stickhouse. We end up cooking outdoors about once a week.

I guess that's ghow we know the RV is home!!!
Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 07:25 AM   #17
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Ron
Girl Scouts can build a fire without "juice".
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 09:31 AM   #18
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We love our Grill-2-go. It has a flat griddle on one side that's great for pancakes and eggs. The other side has a raised grate so it makes lines on the meat like it's been cooked over the charcoal grill. Fools me every time. We especially like breakfast outside. Sometimes, especially now when we're traveling every 3 or 4 days, we'll cook up hamburgers, chicken, bratwurst on one day and then just heat them up when we stop for lunch. Here in Alaska a warm lunch tastes pretty good.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 03:05 PM   #19
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
When we have the charcoal all toasty hot and we are done cooking our dinner I will often go ahead and cook extra burgers or chicken and not have to cook the rest of the weekend. I wonder what others think when we are cooking 8 hamburgers for 2 people.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 04:05 PM   #20
sassyone

M.O.C. #2401
We use a Weber silver grill....it uses charcoal and we really like the size for the two of us. We just store it in the basement when we are done.
sassyone is offline   Reply With Quote