Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2005, 04:47 PM   #1
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
HOW MANY OF YOU USE SPLENDA????

I did until someone sent me this website, I had even bought a large box of 750 packs that is now in the trash...You be the judge!!! I was once told that you can not believe what you hear and only half of what you read. But just in case I want my Montana family to know about this. http://www.truthaboutsplenda.com/

prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 05:41 PM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Apparently the sugar industry is finding that Splenda is costing them money. Maybe they think that Splenda is getting too popular. I'm not sure that we should fear Splenda any more than some of the other things we eat and may need to consider the source for this site. It's always good to check out the things we eat, but it might be that the sugar industry has an alterior motive in providing this information. My disclaimer....I don't know the truth about Splenda. I do know that diabetics can't tolerate sugar.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 05:51 PM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I ditto Judy 100%. There is a lot of "artificial" stuff and some of it is good. Since the Sugar Industry sponsored this web site, I will not throw anything away. My son-in-law is diabetic and these artificial sugars are a God send to him.
Happy trails................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 07:54 PM   #4
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
When I worked in the office for several doctors they posted a big note on the refrigerator door in the break room. It was the "natural" ingredients of Equal. Most of the Equal was in the trash the next day. When my sister had a stroke one of the first things they asked her is if she used artifical sweeteners. No thanks for me.

If you want something natural, try Stevia. It is expensive but a little goes a very long way and it is safe for diabetics. I found it in the health food section of my Fred Meyer (Kroger) store.

toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 03:32 AM   #5
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Visited the site and read it with much interest. Bottom line is that the sugar council has an obviously vested interest in convincing consumers that Splenda could be dangerous to their health. We would have liked to see chapter and verse stated for their claims of the dangers of Splenda (or any of the other artificial sweeteners for that matter). Please give us a quote and source for any claims you make, thank you. Otherwise we can only conclude that you are using the famous advertising ploy of mud-slinging. The real issue is that Splenda has made an enormous negative impact on the sale of suagar in the food economy and the sugar council is trying to do some serious damage control here. One should always consider the source of info and evaluate it carefully!!As a diabetic, Pat uses 1 Splenda in her tea, 3X a day. Diet drinks are no longer available in our home or 5er--water (minimum 64 oz/day)does just fine and although there is always the issue of source, we do the best we can with filtering. Sugar is not the only issue in our diets--for a diabetic any carbohydrate (that is ANY food which has its source in a fruit or vegetable material) will ultimately result in sugar in the blood, high levels of which are dangerous to the diabetic. White sugar, spaghetti, a potato, grapes or orange juice may be equally dangerous to a diabetic if consumed unthinkingly. We have found that limiting carbs to 200g per day (from any source) and counting carefully, in combo with meds, exercise and monitoring glucose levels has provided Pat with 6 years of tight diabetic control, permanent loss of 30 lbs and more energy than she had 20 years ago. Those 200g carbs can be invested any way you choose--so you don't have to tell yourself you can never eat something--you simply have to exercise self control, choose wisely and count carefully.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 04:51 AM   #6
SAndreasen
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1918
My wife is also a diabetic. We use Splenda and love it. I agree that you have to take the sugar industry's web site with a grain of sugar. (HA HA) At least splenda doesn't have the mass distribtuion problems associated with aspertaine does for PKUers.
SAndreasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 01:13 PM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by prariepoodle

I did until someone sent me this website, I had even bought a large box of 750 packs **that is now in the trash...You be the judge!!! I was once told that you can not believe what you hear and ***only half of what you read. But just in case I want my Montana family to know about this. http://www.truthaboutsplenda.com/
**If you can still dig them out of the trash mail them to me!
***In the case of the Internet only 1 tenth of 1% of what you read and even that is questionable at best..

This is another one of those mudslinging website filled with a lot of fictious garbage. If you search hard enough you can find a website condemning every product ever manufactured. The makers of SweetnLow which contain is Saccharin and NutraSweet, Equal, Spoonful, which are all aspartame took their turns being trashed. Now it's Splenda's turn.
As a diabetic I use all of them. Splenda is my prefered followed closely by Equal and if neither are available I'll use SweetnLow.
So if you can still retreive that box of Splenda mail it to me in care of the Pla-Mor Campground. I will pick it up when I get there end of next week.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 02:03 PM   #8
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
OK GANG!!!LOL, I guess I can be a little gullible when someone tell me something like that. Walt would not let me throw them away so I had to go get them out of the trash.LOL After all what would I make all his fudge,cakes and pies out of.

I remember one time someone sent me a email that a file that was on my computer was a virus. I said omg and went and removed it, well it wasn't and I had to get someone to send it to me so I could put it back.LOL

Thank all of you for your input on Sweeteners
Old 08-25-2005, 02:37 PM   #9
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
We all get a little paranoid when we read about stuff that can jeopardize our health!! And we all want to make sure that our friends are informed too. Welcome to the club! We've all been gullible at one time or another as well. The real comfort is having friends who can set us right. So, the next time I get a bit wacky about something, ya'll be sure to let me know okay??
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 03:31 PM   #10
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
My wife is a diabetic and she uses splenda in a lot of food that she makes. When she makes strawberries she puts splenda on them instead of sugar. People in our club didn't even know it. I remember when they were saying saccharin was killing rats. Yea I'm a lot bigger than a rat.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 06:52 PM   #11
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
A great desert for carb counters is strawberries with artifical sweetner and cool whip. Almost no carbs and it is yummy. Also sugar free jello with cool whip. It saved my sanity when I first started the carb control. Okay smart guys, now you want to know what took my sanity - MOC.
Happy trails...............................
Old 08-25-2005, 11:58 PM   #12
Montana_440
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #440
Dr recently told Larry to cut way back on all sweets/junk food & to go with Splenda.We saw what his bro went thru as an uncontrolled diabetic & feel using Splenda is a small price to pay in trying to stop diabetes before it starts.We're lucky...he doesn't notice any difference in taste.I buy the small single containers of SF Jello & pudding.Costs a bit more, but portion controlled & always handy.
Montana_440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 04:40 AM   #13
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
I always check things out before I send them on. I go to http://hoaxbusters.ciac.org/HoaxBustersHome.html
and http://www.snopes.com/
You wouldn't believe the things that circulate on the web. They are always on these sites and are declared true, false or undetermined. Just type in the item and it will come up. The Splenda thing is on there. There were two different articles. Check it out it is really fun. Kathi
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 12:44 PM   #14
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Did find something very interesting on snopes. Maybe I'll give up RVing and live on a cruise ship fulltime or maybe a Holiday Inn.
Read on..
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 02:51 PM   #15
scrowba
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2570
i'm an "Equal" guy myself.
scrowba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 04:44 PM   #16
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
I have come to one conclusion; on March 15, 1942 I was born and on March 15, 1942 I began to die. In the late 1950's cranberries were going to give me cancer, then butter was going to do me in, then it was eggs. I'm still here and never heard of spenda until about 3 months ago. Taste great to me. Of course if all the artificle stuff doesn't get me, then the amount of driving I do says I've had it. One way or another I'm out of here. I'll enjoy life in the meantime. The only thing the sugar industry has to fear is Castro and the youngsters who decide sugar is not the way to go. Also, brandy might just do it first.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 05:08 PM   #17
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Well Gang forget that I ever posted this, I am sorry I just thought that it was something that someone might like to know....
Old 08-29-2005, 05:54 PM   #18
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Linda,
Don't worry, it made for some interesting comments. I felt the same way when I posted the thing about Do Not Call for cell phones and found out it was a myth.
Happy trails......................
Old 08-30-2005, 11:41 AM   #19
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Hey, we appreciate your concern. Good to have someone looking out for us.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote