Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2009, 10:32 AM   #1
bobneal
Established Member

M.O.C. #5308
50 amp connector problems

I am continuing to have problems with the 50 amp service connection to my 06 Montana. it seems the weight of the 50 amp cable keeps pulling the neutral from the socket which, of course, is on a 90-degree angle. I have had to take the socket apart, jam the neutral back in and put it back together twice on a two-week trip--can't seem to get it to stay. I'm surprised others don't have this problem because the cable is really at an extreme angle when hooked to the RV.

Any suggestions for taking care of this other than replace the 50-amp cord? Luckily I only burned out the microwave panel the first time this happened. Now I am connected with a surge supressor which cut off power when the neutral pulled out overnight.

bobneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:44 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Consider replacing the connector with a Marinco type connector, which has a secondary sleeve which screws onto the white, threaded outside rim of the rig's socket. To date, I have not had this problem, but if I have it in the future that will be my solution since that is the type of shore power connection that our boat uses. Another advantage is that it provides a waterproof connection. Hope this helps. Here is one way of possibly doing it with just an outer sleeve:
http://www.tweetys.com/weatherproofcover-50amp.aspx
It will require a disassembly of the connector itself.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:52 AM   #3
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
I try to remember to wrap the cord around the ladder. Don't know what I'll do on this new one, the ladder is on the other side. Guess I'll try to design some kind of support even though I've never had that problem [yet].
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:55 AM   #4
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
I had that problem with my 06' 3500RL when I got it 3 years ago. I bought 30 feet of good 6/4 cable and reused the twist lock end (which is pretty good and very expensive)and bought a new 50 amp CG plug(the one with the handle on it)and built a new cord. If your cord is the same as mine the pvc covered cable is terrible and tough to use in cold weather. It cost a little more to upgrade the cable but I haven't had any problems in 3 years and the new cord is very flexible. If you have any questions please ask. I'm sure other members will be along shortly with their suggestions. Good luck with your solution.
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:53 PM   #5
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I have the locking ring Bingo mentioned. I also place a stick under the cord just aft of where it is plugged in to take the pressure off the socket.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:14 PM   #6
bobneal
Established Member

M.O.C. #5308
Thanks everyone for the good advice. I'm headed to Camping World tomorrow and will pick up a locking ring. I'm also thinking about adding a ParkPower Right Angle RV Cordset Adapter I've seen in the catalog, Any one had experience with this??

Thanks again
Bob
bobneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:48 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Besides the locking ring, when you insert the connector into your Montana's receptacle, you should be able to turn it clockwise to lock it in place. If you're not doing that and don't have a locking ring, I could see how you're having that problem. If, on the other hand, you already do these, then I don't know.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote