Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2009, 11:53 AM   #1
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
Campgrounds Charleston, SC area

We will be going south on I95 from VA to FL the end of June with some stops along the way. We are thinking of Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA, one on the way down and the other on the way back.

I have the Trailer Life Directory on my PC and find lots of campgrounds in the Charleston area. Any comments on taking Rt26 from I95 into Charleston and then Rt 17 back out to I95 when heading south?

Looks like staying around I95 would be the best for Savannah visit?

Any advice/comments would be appreciated.

Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:06 PM   #2
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Try this for Charleston area.. They are Passport America too!

http://www.lakeairerv.com/
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:40 PM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I talked to a camper here today and they also recommend Lake Aire in Charleston.

As for Savannah, it all depends on what you are looking for. If it is just a jumping off point with no frills, like in no pool, no showers, but plenty of peace and quiet, try Hardeeville RV on Alt 170, 10 minutes from Savannah (maybe 15). Easy jumping off point for Parris Island, Beaufort, Hilton Head, Savannah, and other surrounding scenic towns.

Edited: p.s., this is a Passport America CG as well, so as a member it will cost you $16 a night plus some small change.

If you are not a Passport America member, PM me and I'll give you my PA number and you can sign up with my number as a reference. I get a $10 off coupon for my next year. PA cost $44 a year. Four nights at a PA CG gives you a 100% return for your money.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:36 PM   #4
The Old Fogies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8908
James Island Park is a county park. From there you can visit the beach or head down town to see the history. Santee State Park is not far off I95. It is a nice park.

The Old Fogies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 05:20 PM   #5
chieflawdawg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6935
Second on James Island County Park. Great place. We are heading there on the 18th for a week. Been there several times and looking forward to it again.
chieflawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:51 AM   #6
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
James Island gets our vote too. It is really awesome at Christmas time.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:35 AM   #7
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
Another vote for James Island.
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:47 AM   #8
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
The KOA in Mt. Pleasant work our very well for us --we visited Charleston last fall. Easy to get into town and back. Lots of good food stores nearby and the sites are large. The KOA staff was very helpful on directions and other area info. Enjoy Charleston, we sure did--except for 1 item--boiled peanuts! How can those be any good??? This Texas boy likes his peanuts dry roasted not wet and soggy!
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:51 PM   #9
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
We stayed at Lake Aire a couple of years ago and it was a nice P.A. park.
Also, when in that area, going north from Lake Aire park on rte17, go out to Folley Beach and stop at Folley's Hideaway for a fantastic meal. Ask any resident of Folley Beach where it's at and they go enjoy one of the best seafood feasts we ever had in SC. I have steered some other people towards the Hideaway and have gotten reports back on how much they liked the food. The day we were there, they were setting up for a live band on the balcony overlooking the water.
Hope you enjoy the sights to see in Charlestown and don't miss the Fort and museum at the docks.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:40 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
My recommendation is James Island County Park in Charleston and Skidaway Island State Park in Savannah. We really liked Rivers End CG on Tybee Island at Savannah but since the city bought it out they've gone very pricey. We'll use Skidaway next time.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:16 PM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I have my second opinion:

For Savannah, we stayed at Hardeeville RV on Alt. 170. Nine miles from downtown Savannah. This is a no frills park with FHU. By no frills, there is no pool, no meeting room, no showers. There was Cable TV, and I think a WiFi. Heck, it's been a few weeks ago and so much has happened. I would definitely stay there again.

For Charleston, we stayed at James Island County Park. As we rode into it my wife exclaimed, "This is a destination park!" It is a wonderful place to stay. There is a Splash Town, Water Fountain, and a big, big doggie park with water access. The sites were fine and were FHU. It is definately on our list of stay again places.

Happy trails.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:36 PM   #12
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I recently stayed at Skidaway Island Park in Savannah, no sewer but a good solid 8 in my book. James Island County Park in Charleston is a 10, comments as above. We would have liked to have stayed there longer to enjoy the park more, but wanted to see the sights of Charleston.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote