Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2020, 11:31 PM   #1
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Running fridge on an incline?

OK, I know from personal experience that the trailer has to be very level to start and run the fridge on propane.

Our house is on a hill...not super steep, but enough that the trailer parked in front is at too much of an angle for the fridge on propane. Tried it before vacation last year and finally realized the angle was the problem with it not working.

Right now I have our Monty in front of the house, but this time I have it plugged into power (just a normal 20 amp plug in the garage).
My question is...will the fridge start and run if you are using it on electric rather than on propane?
In other words, does that eliminate the reason it won't work on propane when on a slope, or does the same problem still exist?

Sure would be nice to be able to pre cool the fridge without have to figure out how to safely level the trailer. Yes, I leave it hooked up to the truck, not comfortable taking it off without figuring out a safe way to level it out and secure it.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Old 08-03-2020, 11:50 PM   #2
Leftie Canuk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23585
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdaddy View Post
OK, I know from personal experience that the trailer has to be very level to start and run the fridge on propane.

Our house is on a hill...not super steep, but enough that the trailer parked in front is at too much of an angle for the fridge on propane. Tried it before vacation last year and finally realized the angle was the problem with it not working.

Right now I have our Monty in front of the house, but this time I have it plugged into power (just a normal 20 amp plug in the garage).
My question is...will the fridge start and run if you are using it on electric rather than on propane?
In other words, does that eliminate the reason it won't work on propane when on a slope, or does the same problem still exist?

Sure would be nice to be able to pre cool the fridge without have to figure out how to safely level the trailer. Yes, I leave it hooked up to the truck, not comfortable taking it off without figuring out a safe way to level it out and secure it.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
My (limited) understanding is that our non-compressor type refrigerators use a chemical reaction, requiring heat, to extract heat from the interior of the fridge, creating cold. Go figure ! Anyway, apparently the "boiler" has to be very close to vertical to avoid pooling of chemicals in the tubing, eventually creating a leak and fridge failure. The heat source can be either propane or a heating element, but the boiler still has to be vertical. So, my suggestion is to keep the rig as level as possible when the refrigerator is "on".
We create a few blocks of ice using empty milk jugs and plastic trays, and pre-cool the fridge and freezer areas, and stow the food from our S & B fridge and freezer then take off. Everything stays cold/frozen in the rig's fridge until we stop and turn it on, using propane because it is the more efficient heating method. Once we get settled and everything is truly cool/frozen, we will switch the fridge to the electric mode if the outside temperatures are not too high.
Leftie Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 04:42 AM   #3
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
As stated, I don't think the fuel/power source matters. If the incline is too great for the compressor to run on propane, it is still too great on electric as well.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:32 AM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Don't run the frig unless level. Unlevel operation is bad for the cooling unit which operates when using electric or propane.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:06 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
One thing no one has mentioned is that running the frig unlevel greatly increases the chance that a failure will result in a fire. Google frig fires and you'll see it's an across the board problem and was the reason for a lawsuit that resulted in many of us getting payments for having an older rig. Ours was a 2010 and while it didn't catch fire we still got a settlement from Norcold.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:23 AM   #6
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Attached pictures show how the absorption fridge works. It needs to be pretty close to level side to side. I've read somewhere < 3° is acceptable. You want to double check that.
You can read the degrees of level in your level up menu on your level up control panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1579829164995.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	6927  
Attached Images

Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:55 AM   #7
Cindy and Ray's Grand Tour
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21053
We are taking a long trip where I have to make about 400 miles per day for 3 days. I was hoping to just leave the truck hooked up if the site was fairly level. However, I am a little concerned with a Sanyo Residential refer having to run all night. It runs while we are pulling it down the road so why not while parked? Does anyone have experience with running their fridge while leaving the trailer hooked up? Would it matter that we only do it for a few days?
Jacksonville, FL
Cindy and Ray's Grand Tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:02 AM   #8
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Thanks for the info...it does confirm what I was thinking regarding the power source (electric or propane) being irrelevant as it pertains to being on an incline.
Kinda inconvenient, but we will figure out a "solution". Appreciate the feedback as always!
Old 08-04-2020, 11:05 AM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon 2B snowbird View Post
We are taking a long trip where I have to make about 400 miles per day for 3 days. I was hoping to just leave the truck hooked up if the site was fairly level. However, I am a little concerned with a Sanyo Residential refer having to run all night. It runs while we are pulling it down the road so why not while parked? Does anyone have experience with running their fridge while leaving the trailer hooked up? Would it matter that we only do it for a few days?
Since you have a residential frig your situation is different. Level doesn't mean as much to it, but you're going to need a generator or a big battery bank probably.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 12:09 PM   #10
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon 2B snowbird View Post

We found that we could pull over and do what we needed to do in the frig then before bed turn off the inverter and it would hold the temp well until we got up in the morning. After I changed the batteries to Battle Born's we don't turn off the inverter.
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 02:40 PM   #11
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post
As stated, I don't think the fuel/power source matters. If the incline is too great for the compressor to run on propane, it is still too great on electric as well.
An absorption fridge has no compressor. Runs strictly off heat and chemical reaction to cool. Mine sucked. Changed out cooling unit to a 12V compressor unit. Now its more like a residential fridge. Does not require unit to be level to run and no more driving down the road with propane on. Far more efficient and -10 below in freezer and constant 35/36 in fridge. Cold beer!
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote