Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-01-2009, 02:40 PM   #1
ejc1214
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5232
Tow vehicle

Hi all,
It has been a while since I have posted anything but I wanted to post and relate my experience with GM2500 vs GM3500 trucks.
I am lucky to own both and have been towing my 3475RL with my DRW for years and I have been itching to try towing with the 2500 and did it today and I was shocked! I have same LBZ/6sp Ally in each with same Edge Evo tuner set on level 2. Got Firestone bags on the 2500HD.

I thought that the truck would bounce all over the road and it did not! I went over some really rough cement pavement and bridge expension joints and I felt less road with my E-rate 265/75/16 then with the DRW. My DW even commented on it and said that maybe we should keep it as the tow vehicle since it is easier to sightsee with because of the narrow body and tighter turn radius.

I know that the weight police will tell me that I am crazy and it is illegal to town with it being overweight ect ect but in NC I can register my vehicle for more than the sticker on the door as long as I do not exceed the axle rating or tire capacity and at this point I have 1 total of 5900lbs on back tires with a capability of 6884 on the tires so I should be good. My goose-neck and B&W companion hitch allows me to turn at 90 degrees without a slider so I am not sure what the down side would be to tow with the 2500HD since I only use the 3500DRW for towing the camper and only have 18000 miles in 3.5 years of owning it.(I use the SRW crewcab short bed for work)

Has anyone else had same experience?

Please, keep the legal comments to a minimun as the sticker on the door is a recommendation and not a legal guide line. I know severl people on diesel place that hotshot with the DRW registered at 38K and go all over the lower 48 and stop at every stations and never got a ticket for being over the GVW.
ejc1214 is offline   Reply With Quote