Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2020, 12:13 PM   #1
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
leaf spring bolt

got back from a trip and discovered a leaf spring bolt missing, didn't feel a thing, nothing looks damaged, what should I look for? could it bend the axles or ruin the mor-ryde set up?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leaf spring bolt.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	329.6 KB
ID:	7199  

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 02:35 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Just lost one on ours. Just get a new wet bolt. Our wet bolts are shoulder bolts that have a 7/16” thread with a flange nut. I replaced the bronze bushing and installed the new wet bolt. No other damage was found.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 02:46 PM   #3
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
Just lost one on ours. Just get a new wet bolt. Our wet bolts are shoulder bolts that have a 7/16” thread with a flange nut. I replaced the bronze bushing and installed the new wet bolt. No other damage was found.
Thanks Rohrmann, I did order a new wet bolt and bushing from etrailer

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 04:19 PM   #4
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Good time to pull the bolts and check for wear on bushings and bolts. Just because grease is applied doesn't mean that all's good.
Old 09-07-2020, 06:27 PM   #5
Sdgood1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23720
I’m with Montana man, one breaks possible others are compromised. Check them all if possible..

Steven & Denise
New to us 2014 3150RL
Chino Valley, AZ
Sdgood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 06:38 PM   #6
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
You would have noticed it when backing up.. I’d also highly suggest ordering a spare bolt and nut and bushing and carry with you... your lucky....
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 08:04 PM   #7
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
We started following the Hoopers long before we bought our Montana. They had the exact same issue. Gotta love Andrew's ingenuity. About 16:00 minutes in

R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 10:34 PM   #8
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Had the same thing happen to us on the Cassier Highway; a long ways from help. I had a spare and replaced it (rear hanger), but a day or so latter the the front spring hanger broke off the frame. Might have been related. We found a guy with a welder, made temporary repairs and made it back to the states. We had Henderson in Grants Pass work on it. The replaced all the spring hangers, installed higher capacity springs, shocks and alignment. We still carry a couple extra wet bolts.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 05:43 AM   #9
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I have a couple of wet bolts that won't take grease. Is it safe to pull them without the springs popping out of alignment? I've never taken anything like this apart before. I have the Morryde system and I have read that they can either be clogged or misaligned and fixing it requires removing and cleaning the wet bolt, then reinstalling in the correct alignment at either 9 or 3 o'clock. Is that correct? Do I need to somehow support the springs to prevent them from coming out of alignment?
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 05:53 AM   #10
JoeUSNRET
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25489
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post
I have a couple of wet bolts that won't take grease. Is it safe to pull them without the springs popping out of alignment? I've never taken anything like this apart before. I have the Morryde system and I have read that they can either be clogged or misaligned and fixing it requires removing and cleaning the wet bolt, then reinstalling in the correct alignment at either 9 or 3 o'clock. Is that correct? Do I need to somehow support the springs to prevent them from coming out of alignment?
I had a complete wet-bolt kit installed this spring and had 2 grease zerks that would not take grease. I used a 6 or 8mm wrench to loosen the zerk's and they both then took grease. then re-tighten the zerk, Maybe, give this a try as a simply fix. hope it helps.
2020 RAM 3500 Mega, Dually, 4:10, HO CTD, Aisin.
JoeUSNRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 06:01 AM   #11
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeUSNRET View Post
I had a complete wet-bolt kit installed this spring and had 2 grease zerks that would not take grease. I used a 6 or 8mm wrench to loosen the zerk's and they both then took grease. then re-tighten the zerk, Maybe, give this a try as a simply fix. hope it helps.
Thanks, Joe. I'll give that a try first. I did try jacking up the wheels off the ground and even put a floor jack under each axle and slightly raised the axle to see if I could get grease in, but no joy. My rig isn't quite a year old yet, but I did the bearings early since I'm travelling a lot from September through the end of the year. And I read several posts where people found no grease in the bearings from the factory. Wanted to have some peace of mind knowing there was grease in there.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:04 AM   #12
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
I used the 6 point leveling jacks to raise the trailer off the ground. Then using a floor jack, raise the wheel where you want to check the spring bolts. Raise it just enough to take the weight off the bolt. The bolt comes out easily at that point. Only do one bolt at a time. Lower the floor jack enough to inspect the bushing. Even if the spring eye comes out from the spring hanger, it is easy to get it back in there. Once you get into it you'll know if it is within your ability to do this inspection.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:09 AM   #13
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by team bradfield View Post
got back from a trip and discovered a leaf spring bolt missing, didn't feel a thing, nothing looks damaged, what should I look for? could it bend the axles or ruin the mor-ryde set up?
From this pic it doesn't appear that there is a reinforcing plate attached. These are gussets that are welded in the I beam flange directly above the spring hanger. Can you look for this or post different pics of the area? Here is a pic of what a gusset may look like.
Attached Images

Old 09-08-2020, 09:04 AM   #14
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Thanks for the explanation. I think it should be easy enough.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:18 AM   #15
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Happened here too..right rear bolt and cam adjuster..
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 04:24 PM   #16
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
less than i year old i had 2 that would not take any grease.finally after lifting i got the one to take grease. the other i took off and on the bench in the vice it still would not take any. the bronze bushing was gone also here is where i bought mine i dont think they were ever greased at the factory!

https://needatrailerpart.com/search?q=wet+bolts

to get it back aligned i used my floor jack but also had to pull the spring to the rear to get it lined up perfectly. not a hard job after you get everything lined up. i bought enough replacements that i carry if someone needed one on the road i would be able to help.
al meyer
3931fb
az
Ahdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:29 PM   #17
Rollinspo
Established Member

M.O.C. #25528
Sorry little to no experience with this issue. It looks like there are different size wet bolts. I have a 2019 3011MS and want to get a coupe spares after reading this and a few other such threads. Does anyone have the PN or size And is there a better quality brand out there or are they about the same?
Rollinspo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 04:56 AM   #18
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
The only real fix is to have the junk suspension removed and have the Mor ryde IS installed.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:57 AM   #19
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
Please correct me if I am wrong, it sounds to me that this is an important maintenance check, like tire pressure. Reading through this and other posts it appears to me that there is nothing wrong with the hangers unless a bolt drops out and making sure they take grease on a regular basis will solve most of the issue.
I don't off highway other than to get to a camp site but I would imagine that for some that do, an IS would be well worth the expense, the only reason I can see for IS, for someone like me it would be a waste of money.
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 02:00 PM   #20
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreG L. View Post
Please correct me if I am wrong, it sounds to me that this is an important maintenance check, like tire pressure. Reading through this and other posts it appears to me that there is nothing wrong with the hangers unless a bolt drops out and making sure they take grease on a regular basis will solve most of the issue.
I don't off highway other than to get to a camp site but I would imagine that for some that do, an IS would be well worth the expense, the only reason I can see for IS, for someone like me it would be a waste of money.
Yes everyone should pay extreme attention to their suspension. Pay particular attention to the spring bolts or wet bolts whatever you have and also you bolt tightness. There is still no guarantee you won't break or lose a bolt. I have broken two and two more were just completely missing.

Having wet bolts is certainly better then not having them however I completely wore out two sets of bronze bushings in short order. In my humble opinion these heavy campers are too much for the horse and buggy suspension that holds them up.

Yes the IS is an expensive upgrade but well worth every nickel. No more getting out at every stop crawling under the camper to inspect all of them bolts.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote