Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2021, 10:34 PM   #1
Winstons
Established Member

M.O.C. #27727
GFCI Assistane Requested

Does anyone have any experience with GFCI plugs? We plugged our Montana in at an RV Park for the first time today and am having issues with our GFCI plug. It will not reset. It worked fine at our house, but does not want to reset now. So we don’t have access to most of our wall plugs and microwave. I would hate to think we need another plug already. It’s only been 3 weeks. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Winstons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 05:14 AM   #2
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
If you are using the 15/20 amp GFCI receptacle, you're probably going to have problems with it. Many times they are weak and overly sensitive. If you can get to a plug that is not GFCI, you will likely be fine. Typically, you should be plugged into a 50 amp outlet and that is usually not GFCI protected. The 15/20 amp will power a few things but not enough for the whole trailer.
Two things I would make sure you have are a good surge protector/EMS system. Progressive Industries makes several good ones. Also, you asked about blocks under the jacks. One thing I have found was invaluable for me is the RV Snap Pads. They are rubber pads made of recycled tires that attach to your pads on the jacks. They stay on so you aren't having to run around at each site and put down boards or blocks. Now that I've had them for about a year, I wouldn't want to be without them.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 07:12 AM   #3
Winstons
Established Member

M.O.C. #27727
We are plugged into a 50 amp receptacle at an RV site and everything is working but the GFCI outlet and everything tied to that “line”. The problem is the GFCI will not reset, which controls other outlets through the trailer (bedroom tv, microwave, etc). Everything worked fine before pulling it to the RV site. The trailer is only 3 weeks old.
Old 01-03-2021, 08:23 AM   #4
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Are all of the breakers OK? It is possible that the GFCI plug is faulty. It can take a few trips to work out all of the bugs. There are so many sub-components that the OEM buys in bulk that it's entirely feasible to get something sub-standard. Fortunately it's an easy fix. Unfortunately, the dealer will likely have to do it for you under warranty.

Just for fun you might try unplugging from shore power and try resetting the plug.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:28 AM   #5
Winstons
Established Member

M.O.C. #27727
All of the other breakers seem to be fine. But I will try unplugging from shore power to see if it will reset. Thanks!
Old 01-03-2021, 08:47 AM   #6
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Is it a GFCI outlet or breaker? Do you have anything plugged in that could be tripping it? It's also possible that a short has developed somewhere. The outlets in these rigs are pretty hokey. A wire could have come loose in one of them.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:29 AM   #7
Winstons
Established Member

M.O.C. #27727
It is a GFCI outlet that is located in the bathroom. There is nothing plugged into the actual GFCI outlet, but something is preventing it from re-setting. I'm thinking a possible short also.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:49 AM   #8
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winstons View Post
It is a GFCI outlet that is located in the bathroom. There is nothing plugged into the actual GFCI outlet, but something is preventing it from re-setting. I'm thinking a possible short also.
Turn all your breakers off then back on just to be sure. My understanding is the GFCI needs to have power coming to it to reset. If that doesn't do it you may need to start pulling the outlets out and checking the connections. These are usually just push in connections and a loose one will trip a GFI.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:03 AM   #9
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
As this Topic is unrelated to the new user announcement and is in fact a request for help, I have moved it to its own Thread where it has a better chance of being seen, and answered.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:11 AM   #10
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
What plugs are inoperable? I read "we don’t have access to most of our wall plugs and microwave" and then "The problem is the GFCI will not reset, which controls other outlets through the trailer (bedroom tv, microwave, etc)."

In my experience GFCI plugs have a sticker on them saying they are part of the GFCI line. Normally GFCI plugs are located in potential wet areas. I have never seen a GFCI control a microwave, TV, or wall plugs outside the kitchen.

Are you sure you have 50 amp power on both legs feeding your circuit breakers. It sure sounds like you have at least one dead leg. Get out a VOM and check that you have power coming in. A GFCI will not reset if it doesn't have power from the breaker.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:23 AM   #11
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
If nothing is plugged into any of the wall plugs on the GFCI circuit and the GFCI will not reset the GFCI may need to be replaced. They are cheap and easy to do so it may not be worth a warranty trip.

When you say it will not reset, please confirm the the button will not not stay in.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:36 AM   #12
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Looking at your description of various receptacles we think are daisy chained behind a gfci outlet, then the microwave (mine is on a separate breaker) etc.....anything else? I'm wondering if you may have lost 1 side of the 50A feed to the trailer which will knock out about 1/2 of your AC service.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 02:56 PM   #13
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
First step is, check for power on both legs at the pedestal you are plugged into. Then, check for power at the trailer end of your shore cord with the cable plugged into the pedestal but disconnected from the trailer--BE VERY CAREFUL DOING THIS--but, because the terminals in the trailer end of the cord are protected, you should be OK. If you have power there, then turn off the pedestal breaker, re-attach your cable to the trailer. Before turning on the pedestal breaker, remove the panel cover inside the trailer so you can see the terminals of the breakers. Again, with the breaker at the panel still off, tighten all the terminal screws on all the breakers. Then, turn on the pedestal breaker and check for power at all the breakers, especially on both legs at the 50 amp breaker. Hopefully, by now you have found the place where you don't have power. If not, then you have an issue with the main GFI outlet on the run you had no power at. You need a volt meter to do all these checks, and it doesn't have to be fancy or expensive. Just be careful.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:23 PM   #14
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I am with Carl and Danny and Bob in thinking you have a problem with park power. It may be missing power on one leg of the 50 amp park power.

A GFCI outlet will have the buttons. A standard outlet protected by a GFCI outlet should have a sticker GFCI PROTECTED. If an outlet does not have buttons or a sticker then it is not likely a GFCI protected outlet. Do those non functioning outlets have a GFCI PROTECTED sticker on them?
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 12:04 AM   #15
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
If there is a problem with the 50 amp shore supply then use an adapter and connect to 110v and test the theory. Everything should work just fine on 110. If you still can't reset then the problem is likely somewhere else.
Old 01-10-2021, 02:11 PM   #16
firestation12
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24588
If there is no power entering the GFCI, then then the GFCI will not respond to efforts to reset. you need to start at the circuit breaker feeding the GFCI for the presence of voltage exiting the breaker. If no voltage present ant the circuit breaker, then move your search to the power pedestal.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 02:41 PM   #17
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winstons View Post
Does anyone have any experience with GFCI plugs? We plugged our Montana in at an RV Park for the first time today and am having issues with our GFCI plug. It will not reset. It worked fine at our house, but does not want to reset now. So we don’t have access to most of our wall plugs and microwave. I would hate to think we need another plug already. It’s only been 3 weeks. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
If it will not rest, then you probably have a short. The trip to the park may have caused a loose connection that was still working at the house to finally fail. Unfortunately troubleshooting something like this is a real PITA. The ideal scenario is to find the midway point of the GFCI circuit (you will have many outlets connected downstream of the GFCI including ALL outside plugs). Break into the circuit at that point and test. If trouble is towards the GFCI, split that run in two and do the same. Repeat until the fault is found. The other solution is to replace GFCI with regular receptacle and watch for smoke.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 03:45 PM   #18
jeririgged223
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26548
Mine wouldn't reset one day..........turns out it was bad. If it doesn't reset its shot. Buy a new one from Lowes / Home Depot and a spare to keep around. It's cheaper than going to the RV dealer and the exact same plug
jeririgged223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 03:47 PM   #19
beekeeper.va
Established Member

M.O.C. #11864
First, you need to understand how a GFCI receptacle works. The GFCI will not reset unless it has power.

The GFCI trips when there is any tiny amount of current difference between the current on the hot (black) wire and the neutral (white) wire.

If there is a short anywhere, the circuit breaker feeding the GFCI will trip. The GFCI does not trip due to an over-current problem but will trip due to the difference in current hot to neutral when a short exists. Don't expect the GFCI to act as a breaker.

Now, your problem is that the GFCI will not reset. That is likely due to no power feeding the GFCI or the GFCI is bad. That would not surprise me. The ones the mfg uses is the cheapest one they can get. The breaker feeding the GFCI might be bad and as others have stated, the campground pedestal might be bad.

It is time to look at the power panel. The RV's power panel is divided in half. There is a 50 amp circuit breaker in the center that accepts power from the campsite power pedestal. The left half of the 50-amp breaker feeds the breakers to the left of it. The right half feeds the breakers to the right of it. To see if you have lost power to one of those halves, find the breaker for the GFCI. Determine which half it is on and see if everything else on that half is working. If it is then the campground pedestal is probably good.

Past this, if you are not experienced using a volt meter, you should seek help.

You should also buy an EMS system. They are expensive but will save you a lot of grief.

I also recommend novice electrical people get a Non-contact voltage pen. If will sense the presence of AC voltage if you get within an inch or two of the circuit. Don't go cheap. Klein is a good buy.
beekeeper.va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 03:48 PM   #20
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
I am surprised to hear so many folks experiencing bad GFCI's. I am 78, a retired industrial electrician and have never had a GFCI fail in service. I can't imagine normal use causing any kind of failure.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote