Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2017, 07:23 AM   #1
MaxwellD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20704
Maxx Air Fan issues -

We are working out the bugs on a new 3730FL Montana. One Maxx Air Fan motherboard was sent from factory for replacement as a DIY project. Ok - should be a plug and play - but can someone tell me how to access the motherboard from the base of the fan? Anyone have experience doing this project?
Thanks,
Max

MaxwellD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:17 AM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Don't have that fan, but it looks like you might have to remove it from the ceiling to access the circuit board. Go to this link and you can find the document that will show you where the board is located. http://www.airxcel.com/maxxair/servi...cument-library
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 07:07 PM   #3
MaxwellD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20704
Boom - there it is - Thanks Bob. Now I just have to figure out how to get in there. There are some pigtails on the circuit board which I am assuming are for connection in series, which I dont have. I assume those can just be tucked away in a recess after a bit of electrical tape to the ends. Looks like it willl just plug in then.
Thank you sir.
Max
Old 10-29-2017, 07:26 PM   #4
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
I had to replace that PC board on mine several weeks ago. You don't have to remove the whole fan assy. It can be replaced from below.
Remove the screen by turning the plastic tabs that hold it in.
Remove the knob (screw in the middle).
There are several screws around the edge that hold the escutcheon in place - remove them. The PC board is now visible.
Remove the (two, if I remember correctly) screws that hold the PC board in place. The board will now be free.
There are 5 or 6 inline connectors and PC board mounted connectors to disconnect. Be careful as you disconnect them, one of them is connected to a small, thin wire that can be damaged. The only trouble I had was pulling the cables out of the space between the fan housing and the ceiling cut out - they were just stuffed in there to take up the slack, and they were tight to get out. The only other thing to be aware of is that one of the sensors and one of the small wires is hot glued into place. You will have to re-glue these.
It's not as bad as it sounds - just go slow and be sure to disconnect/reconnect all the cables to the board. The connectors are all different size/configs, so you can't get a cable in the wrong place. Re-stuffing the cables back into the void to get them out of the way was probably the worst part.
Bama Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 08:37 PM   #5
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I suggest you take picture before and during disassembly. This works for me so I don't have to remember what goes where when I reassemble things. Good luck with your project.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 08:55 PM   #6
MaxwellD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20704
Thank you Bama. I appreciate step-by-step instructions. I mo get on this next chance I have.
Old 10-29-2017, 08:56 PM   #7
MaxwellD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20704
CoRattler - very good advice. - will do!
Max