Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2016, 02:56 PM   #1
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
The mattress can be too comfortable

Bought one of the new matresses with the foam, then coils, then more foam and then gel just before we went to the Rally. Got to the Rally and a few other places and then on our way home tried to run the bedroom slide out and the bed frame detached from the wall and wouldn't let the slide go out right. Got to our Kansas home base and took it apart. The frame, if you can call a structure primarilly made out of 1x2's a frame, was held in place by four screws run into the insulation. Rebuilt it, added four casters, and anchored it the best we could. We'll see if it lasts, but that mattress was sure a job getting in and out of the bedroom.

DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:59 PM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Know what you mean Dick about getting the mattress in and out of the bedroom. We purchased a new one just after we got the new Monte and had the store put it in. Well the mattress broke-down in less than two trips so we contacted the store we bought it at and they said to bring it in and they would give us a new one. Well, we towed the Monte into the parking lot and the store manager and one of his staff came out with a cart and took the broken one out and then brought us out the new one. It was fun just watching them fight the mattress and seeing them get it into place on the bed. They worked up a good sweat removing and replacing the mattresses but we're happy with the new one so far.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 02:31 AM   #3
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Where did you purchase this "too comfortable" mattress? We need to replace our memory foam and would like to have one!

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 04:00 AM   #4
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We have our second Denver Mattress. First one was a queen. Now we have a king. Innerspring Eurosport with foam. The first one was so good, we bought the same model when we went to king.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 11:52 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Got it from a locally owned furniture shop in Council Grove, Kansas. Came rolled and compressed in a box and then swelled like craze when the bad was cut. It was one of these, but we paid half of list:http://mlilyusa.com/memory-foam/Bliss
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 12:53 PM   #6
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Yeah, found out about the bed frame when I rebuild mine when one of the casters came off ans the other was dangling. But the jewel with mine was the lower raising top with the side next to the closet looked like the mountain range on my graphics on the montana. John
Old 10-14-2016, 12:58 PM   #7
ronenz
Established Member

M.O.C. #18831
I wanted to make the bed room more than just a place to sleep. I installed our articulating "head and foot" tempurpedic frame and mattress in queen size so that the bed could become a comfortable couch for watching the TV installed on the wardrobe. I was able to repurpose our hot tub stair unit so the bed height issue was mitigated somewhat and it gave us a clothes hamper as well. I did find that I have to raise the front of the bed before I bring in the slides or it impacts the wardrobe. Very comfortable compared to the King size 7 inch foam mattress that came with the unit and by replacing it with our Queen we were able to locate our CPAP machines on each side of the mattress on top of the storage housing. I did loose the ability to raise up the end of the bed to get into the under bed storage area however I can still access that space from the outside slide door. You want to talk about fun wrestling that mattress into the bedroom, I was grateful for the 2nd entrance. The added weight will need to be accounted for when I check our numbers against the weight scale but I think we will be okay. The slide that the bed attaches to is hydraulic and had been engineered to have under the bed storage so I think I am good there as well. I very much enjoy reading how you folks have addressed issues so I thought I would share.
Old 10-15-2016, 02:40 PM   #8
Charli
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14048
Purchased a memory foam mattress from Costco. It's 11" high and about 60 lbs, I think. Found it a bit firm and purchased a 1" latex foam topper and now its just right. Kind of heavy but should last. When bringing in the slide I do have to lift up the foot end of the mattress and rest it on top of the dresser. The extra weight will stress the frame so will have to keep an eye out to make sure it doesn't fall apart as has happened to others.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote