Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2007, 03:24 AM   #1
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
Splendide washer dryer

They just opened a camper world here in Fountain CO last week end. We went and looked at wahers and bought a Splendide combo wash/dry What a deal with the sale and presidents club and other coupons saved $214.00. But I never saw a washer like this. I installed it sunday and leveled it and when on high spin shakes the things off the shelves low not to bad and it sure washes funny not like the one in the stick house. Is this normal do I need more supports under the frame.
Bob

Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 04:00 AM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
You can tell when ours goes into high spin, but it does not really shake things off the shelves. Are you sure that you have it leveled evenly supported? It is a front loader, and even though it is smaller, it seems to act just the same as the front loading Frigidaire that we have in the stick house. The wash cycle is quite different from a top loader. Make sure to load it properly too. My wife loves her Splendide, it is chugging away and spinning as I write this.

We only have the stock supports, plus one tire lock and a recently added tripod. (It was OK without the tripod though.)
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 05:45 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It vibrates alright but not as bad as you describe. Yours may not be properly installed.We make the mistake of comparing with things in our stick house. The W/D in the stick house also vibrates but we are not within a couple feet of it when running and it may be securely attached to a floor in a House that is securely attached to the ground. We have the 2100... IT IS A HUGE CONVENIENCE and that is about it. We knew when we purchased it that it would rock the camper,That it would wash about 1/3 the load in 3 times the time..and we would give up some storage space.The cost vs benefit for us was CONVENIENCE.... With the above qualifiers.. We have one, we love it, we would not be without it.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:43 AM   #4
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
Well I gess shakeing things off the shelf is not the correct term, it viberates so much things wiggle and slide, the shelves in the closet with the washer will viberate a bottle around and may fall off, I was going to put some fronts on the shelves. also I dont have any extra jacks under the frame only the front legs, back stabilizers and front pin trypod. I will be adding the between the wheel locks and more jacks in front and behind the axle that will I hope slow things down, but I will check the instalition and level again.'

Bob
Old 03-13-2007, 09:42 AM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Bob, we attached wire baskets to the shelves above the w/d. That way if it rattles a little nothing will fall. I found one large wire basket at Lowes and then on the other shelf just used a series of smalll ones. You can attach with wire clamps, small bolt and nut or (I found this easier) ties. The baskets are shallow enough to get things in and out without any trouble.
Happy trails..................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:23 AM   #6
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
I found that with the "king pin tri-pod" stabilizer hooked up, the rocking was definetly a lot less than without it hooked up. Not sure if you have a tri-pod or not, but it definetly helps. The only time my camper rocks where you can notice it, is when it is on the "heavy soiled" in selection on spin cycle. Regular and delicates you can't even tell the W/D is on. Like richfaa said the convenience of having one out weighs anything negative that folks have to say about them. I hate doing laundry, but come to enjoy it in my RV because I don't have to drag clothes through a WHOLE house to a basement or laundry room to do it and do the same thing over to put them back in the closet and drawers. The dirty clothes are under the steps and go to the washer in the bedroom and straight to the drawers and closet...as simple as it gets. Matter of fact, I just washed some towels and my sheets and took the sheets out of the W/D and put them right on the bed. I was too lazy to get a step stool to just change out my other set out of the line cabinet. I wouldn't be without my W/D. Good Luck to ya!
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:19 AM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Bob,

Silly question - but does the Combo units have transit bolts in the back - and if so, did CW remember to remove them??

Just getting ready to install our Splendide stackables, and the manual says the LEADING cause for vibration calls is the installer did not remove the four transit bolts before installing. With those still in, the drum is rigid to the frame of the wash machine and the trailer takes the beating. On ours, they are 4 big bolts through nylon attachments that go directly into the back of the washer. When you remove them there are 4 nylon plugs that cover the holes.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 11:25 AM   #8
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Bob & Lee, let me begin by saying the Splendide Combo isn't a stick house washer. Make sure you have it installed correctly and read, read, read the manual. Delaine was the expert on the W/D. I couldn't even turn it on. Having said this, we had the Splendide 2100 combo unit. It did a great job but it was slow and did wrinkle some of our clothes. Its a whole lot different unit than what your use to having. There is a learning curve, it will take a while to get use to the combo. Other than that you will learn and I think it will do a good job. We sold ours to some nice people and the one they were using was 10 years old, that should make you feel better. It will vibrate, and its slow but it works. We did upgrade to a Splendide Ariston stackable, and it has a lot of features such as a control to have different spin speeds. The biggest reason was to be able to wash and dry at the same time, and the Ariston is a little bigger. bsmeaton can send the complete info on the Splendide Ariston, most CW's didn't know about the Ariston, we ordered ours while in South Texas and picked it up in Mesa Arizona. As I write this the W/D is doing its thing. Good Luck.....GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 12:48 PM   #9
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Bob, there two things that make the Splendide shake, not loaded properly and if you did not remove the transportation screws. Oh, yeah, it needs to be level too! (I guess there are three, maybe more!) We use ours a lot and dw loves it. One thing to think about, if you would happen to move up to a stackable unit, the vent will NOT be in the same hole cut in the side of the unit. If you pull the w/d out to use the same hole you will loose space behind it. And I have walked by the stick house dryer and put my hand on it, it shakes too, you just have a solid surface under it.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 01:26 PM   #10
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Bob & Lee we did use the same vent to the outside. However CW installed the both units. We had the Splendide in a Everest 343 L also and just had it installed in the Cambridge. In the Everest 343 L it was in the front closet and was vent outside up front. We did have a drip pan installed with the Ariston and yes you will loose some storage. GBY...

Bob go to our web site and you can see the Splendide Ariston after install.

www.webspawner.com/users/lnhdch
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:36 PM   #11
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
We used a Splendide washer and dryer while living in the UK for three years. The single unit which served as washer and dryer was the most common laundry option at the time were there. The units that we consider RV size in the US were the normal size units for residential use in the UK and were generally installed under the counters in kitchens. They did great for us and the two kids who were with us and the hoardes of guests we had while there. The older units used to make a heck of a noise when the clothes were whizzing around. We're looking forward to the quieter new ones.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 12:15 PM   #12
filly2
Established Member

M.O.C. #6558
We are considering putting in a combo w/d before we leave. Does anyone have any comment on the vented vs. the non-vented? See they make both kinds. Also, is it very hard to install yourself or wise to have them professionaly installed.
filly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 12:17 PM   #13
filly2
Established Member

M.O.C. #6558
We are considering putting in a combo w/d before we leave. Does anyone have any comment on the vented vs. the non-vented? See they make both kinds. Also, is it very hard to install yourself or wise to have them professionaly installed.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:32 PM   #14
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Filly,

Welcome to the Forum!

We went for the vented just to keep the moisture and heat out of the trailer. We haven't installed yet, so no qualified opinions.

If you're getting the non-vented Combo, there is nothing to installation. It more or less sets in there and gets the hoses attached and plug it in. If you get the vented type, you'll need to drill a vent through the side. I've got my 4" hole drill, just waiting for the guts to do it. Also waiting for some floor brackets I ordered to keep our stackables secured while under way.

Old 03-16-2007, 12:41 PM   #15
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
When I did my research, the consensus was that the vented units were by far the better of the two.

Where are the four transit bolts...our dealer put ours in, but I don't have much confidence in the service tech's ability.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 01:35 PM   #16
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Bert,

I have the Spendide Ariston stacks, so can't speak for the Combos, but I'm sure they are the same. They are in the back approximately at the four corners (where the edge of the drum would be). If they were removed, there should be four nylon caps to cover the holes.

Brad
Old 03-18-2007, 07:20 AM   #17
filly2
Established Member

M.O.C. #6558
Thanks so much for the info between vented & ventless. What research I have done, I think that the vented probably is the best and also I think things dry faster being vented out. I was told by a person that works at another RV factory that you have to have 50amp to hook into in order for them to work. We have 50 amps at the one place we stay, but the other is only 30 amps. What are your opions? It probably is like running AC on 30 and watch what elso is on. Also, in the closet where it goes, there is a sign on the wall saying that the water does not go into the holding tanks and to keep sewer hose open. Does the water go straight threw the black tank? Do you have to keep the valve pulled when you are washing?
Thanks for the help, as you see, we are new to this sort of thing. Had a 2001 Montanna but not alot of extras. We know have a 2007 3475RL with everything, so want to keep everything on the up and up.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:44 AM   #18
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Filly,

If installing the Combo unit, they run on a single 20A circuit. You would only need to be connected to a 30A service, but you could not run your AC at the same time. If installing the stackables, both need a 20A circuit (provided in the closet). You could still use a 30A service, but you could only run one of the appliances at a time. With 50A service, you can do what you want.

On your 3475, the water discharges directly into the dump pipe, not into a tank. You do not need to open any valves to operate, but you do need to be hooked up to a sewer dump. If you try to run it with the dump cap on, it will back up the drain and onto the floor. (follow the black 1-1/2" pipe below the W/D closet and you will see where it hooks up direct to the dump pipe.

Brad
Old 03-18-2007, 03:37 PM   #19
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
We stayed in a CG last year that only had a regular 110 plug. It probably was 20 amp but I am not sure. We stayed there for two weeks and did a small load every day, just made sure everything else was off while the Splendide was on. We never had a problem.
We love our vented Splendide and got it installed before we picked up the unit so that it was covered by the coach's extended warranty. The Splendide is our favorite upgrade as the four SOB Fivers we had were not made for a washer/dryer. We won't own an RV without this built in convenience. What a treat to keep your laundry clean and not be forced to use dirty public machines.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 10:32 AM   #20
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
I did remove the shipping plugs, and it is level I think we are getting use to the viberations, we do have some wrinkled shirts (we have a steam ironer) and I gess it will take as you said read and read.Lee won't let me touch the washer. as for cutting the 4" hole it needs to be a little bigger like 4 1/8 the vent hose and hood thet I got with it the outer vent is a little larger (sanded it larger w/my drimmal) als the hose was 2'and needed 4' but over alll it was a easy install.

Bob