Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2007, 03:19 PM   #1
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Sewer hoses - what do you use?

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this topic, but here goes.

My sewer hose situation is a mess. I carry a couple different ones, but got burned at one campground last year because I couldn't reach and didn't have the connectors to modify.

I'm looking at a fresh start, have one hose with the full connections at both ends, and a second to serve as an extension.
Both 15' and the connectors made by the same company...no more mismatches. I may store an old one for a backup.

There are a number of type of connectors, press on, screw on, and so forth. I don't really care, I just want something that doesn't leak and I don't want to put ends on things as I need them.
I like the idea of the Rhinoflex, but I've read they don't have uv inhibitors and aren't as durable as people claim. I'm not sure about the connectors they use either, they don't offer the end to make an extension that matches their regular system.

I've been doing some research and found these:
http://www.rvnetlinx.com/dba/dba.php?id=5672&cat=p08

Really pricey, but worth it?

What do you think...are these hoses disposable, or can you get good stuff and make it last.

Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 03:27 PM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I've never had any problems with the heavy duty hoses from Camping World. I have three, one not used, and the other two I use together when I need two. Usually I'm able to get by with one hose. I use the regular sewer hose clamps and the bayonet type connectors. When I have to use the two hoses together I use a hose coupling and two clamps to hold the hoses snug on the coupling. I've never had any leaks in over six years of fulltiming.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 03:56 PM   #3
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Thanks Orv

I have an old standard model I've used for a couple years and it's served me well too. And usually I do only need the one hose.

These are the connectors I was thinking of using:

http://www.rvupgradestore.com/index....ROD&ProdID=728
http://www.rvupgradestore.com/index....ROD&ProdID=731
http://www.rvupgradestore.com/index....ROD&ProdID=729

This way I can make two extensions, and the sewer hookup will work with either hose or with them together. I was curious if there is any word out about the quality of these fittings - they sure look handy.
The hose I haven't yet decided on.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:04 PM   #4
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Hi Ozzie,

If you are using those red hose fittings, put a 3" gear clamp on the hose once you thread the fittings in.
A friend was using a red threaded coupling last summer, (it was pretty warm day). When we dumped his black tank, the hose pushed off of the red fitting. I'm sure you get the picture . Maybe the plastic hose became too pliable when warm, but a couple of gear clamps will stop that from happening.

Sewer hose is one of those things (that you get what you pay for)
More you pay, the better it is .

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 10:28 PM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I've been using the Blueline products for years and have not had any significant problems. I use the same sewer hose today that I bought 3 years ago. Hose clamps aren't necessary.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 11:00 PM   #6
Rex & Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #99
Sewer hose failure is unacceptable. As fulltimers spending winters on the desert in Arizona we replace the hose and ends every fall. The desert sun does things to anything plastic, expensive or cheap. We use a clear plastic end on the trailer connection to monitor tank flow, and also use clamps on the connections on both ends.
"Sewer Hose peace of mind is priceless"
Rex & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 11:17 PM   #7
smc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3125
We carry one 30ft and one 10ft. We also have a length of pcv pipe that rides in brackets attached to the rear stabalizers. When stopped for long periods, we run the long hose through the pipe tothe sewer connection. All connections have clamps. The pipe protects the hose and keeps it straight. At one campground we lost 2 hoses to crows, they were putting holes in the hose.
smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:29 AM   #8
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
We carry one heavy duty 25ft hose with the clear 45 deg elbow trailer side and a simple compact sewer connector. My primary goal is to get it all to stow in that under belly tube and keep the Ecoli stuff away from errant contact.
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:44 AM   #9
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I have had good service from the blue line products that Glenn gives a link to in his post above.

I always buy the heaviest best quality hose I can find and I get a few years use out of them. Years ago I set my rig up next to a Park Model in the old Disneyworld Campground. I just touched the sewer hose that was connected to the park model and the sun had made it so brittle that is broke apart. The nice old girl that lived in the unit was out so I went down to an RV supply, bought a new hose and put it on for her. She was quite elderly and I did not even tell her what happened but the next day she was outside watering her flowers and noticed the new hose. She asked me about it and insisted on paying for the new hose. What a sweet smart old gal and Californians all seem so nice.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:38 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I've accumulated several over the years and have even added a second sewer hose compartment in our 3400RL. Plus I have a couple of unused ones in the front locker.

I have three or four hoses of various sizes with connectors already attached so all I have to do is hook them together. The connectors are the kind you twist together, like the one you attach to the dump pipe on the Montana. One has the nipples, the other the slots. That way to extend a hose all I have to do is twist snap/twist two of them together. And twist on the appropriate connectors to the dump pipe and the sewer opening. This approach makes my sewer hose setup and breakdown much quicker.

This is what I'm talking about --

Then the end connectors to connect to the park's sewer pipe and to the dump pipe just twist on to these connectors, as well as being able to quickly join two or more hoses.

I leave the fittings on the hoses even when the hoses are stored. That also keeps the hoses from eventually leaking from frequent installing/removing of the connectors.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:43 AM   #11
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JH Sechelt

Hi Ozzie,

If you are using those red hose fittings, put a 3" gear clamp on the hose once you thread the fittings in.
A friend was using a red threaded coupling last summer, (it was pretty warm day). When we dumped his black tank, the hose pushed off of the red fitting. I'm sure you get the picture . Maybe the plastic hose became too pliable when warm, but a couple of gear clamps will stop that from happening.

Sewer hose is one of those things (that you get what you pay for)
More you pay, the better it is .

J&D
I agree put a clamp on I have had leakage!
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 04:30 AM   #12
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
It's all in those fittings, isn't it.

Those Valtera fittings (like I posted and Steve posted) look to be the ticket, but then a couple people posted already to clamp those.
A couple of zip clamps (cable ties) would take care of that.

The push on model from Blueline looks simple and convenient, but really scary...what keeps them together?
If Glenn and Wrenchtraveller hadn't said good things about those I never would have believed it.

I actually like the idea of a seven footer plus a 15-20. Many times that 10 footer is a little long as the sewer connection is right there.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:16 AM   #13
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
"Yes" to clamps! Important to keep the hose off the ground to prevent abrasion holes. The hose will "wiggle" against the ground as effluent goes through it, causing pinhole leaks to develope..I use one of those "slinky" type holders and/or the "tray" type. If you keep the hose off the ground, it will last a long time...if not, one or two days/weeks before it starts to leak, depending on the ground surface. Arizona, give it a week, tops...

I have an 8 footer fully set up plus two 15 ft lengths with connection fittings at each end and one 2 ft section with the proper discharge fitting. I can use the 8 footer by itself (normal operation) or use either one or two 15 footers plus the short discharge end piece, or hook all three lengths together. Folks from the Goshen Rally will remember the length of the "run" needed in some sites..it was looong!.

Best to all,
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:58 AM   #14
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Ozzie
Last spring we found most of the hoses we had were leaking. After many years of RVing we had accumulated lots of different type clamps, connectors, hoses, adapters, etc. We decided to simplify. We got a set from Camping World. Red hoses and connectors. Each 10 ft section has both types of connectors permanently connected. Connecting 2 together is quick and easy. You can tell the hose is a better grade just by the weight. We like it so well we purchased another set so now we carry 4 10' sections.
Happy trails.............................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:44 PM   #15
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
That's pretty much the situation we found ourselves in - a little of this - a little of that. Parts gathered over time.
It got to be a mess, so one of my winter projects is to overhaul my systems and unload the parts not being used. The inside is pretty much done now, so the outside systems and the trunk are next.
How many sets of awning lights do you really need? LOL

I had a Rhinoflex hose kit still in the box, pulled it out only to find it had a hole in it. So much for that...in the garbage and never even used it. I won't buy another.
My vinyl hose that I've used for my main hookup for two+ years was still perfect. So much for high tech.

I like those red Valterra couplers too, and have decided to build my new system around them. I found some triple wrap 21 mil hose made by Valterra, so I ordered a 10 footer and a 20 footer. Good old heavy duty crack resistant vinyl. They say you can stand on them (don't think I'll try that). This keeps everything made by the same company too.

The old main connection will go into storage as a backup. If really needed, it could reach 40-45 feet.

Old 01-23-2007, 02:46 PM   #16
WACOT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1946
For those of you that are stationary some place, why use a hose at all, PVC would be a MUCH better choice. I use 3 inch dia., thick walled PVC. This is where we will be for two years so that makes sense to me. I carry a flex hose of good quality for those times we may be on the road for a short trip. I may even try to devise a way of using PVC after we finish our stent as gate attendants for the Army Corps. I think it would only be a matter of cutting the PVC into lengths that are easily stored but still be practical to use.
WACOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:51 PM   #17
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Ozzie,

I am surprised no one has mentioned "Sewer Solution" it is a water jet powered dumping system. You can view the manufactures site at www.sewersolution.com. Camping World carries it as does many other RV stores. I have found it to be much easier to manage than the 3" hoses, fittings, etc. The hose may seem small, but the water jet pulverizes the waste and speeds it away down the drain. I haven't had any problems with getting all waste water dumped. It is not nearly as messy to deal with and not as prone to developing leaks or tripping over. Sags in the line are not an issue.

The water jet can be turned into the drain line for additional cleaning. You are a techy guy, so I think you will like what you see. I personally think it was worth the $100.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 02:01 AM   #18
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Stiles, thanks for the information. I just finished reading everything about this system and it sounds like a great product.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:07 AM   #19
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Yes, thank you Stiles. I was reading up about it too after seeing your post.
That is a very interesting product. At first glimpse, it looks like one of those "that can't possibly work" things. But then you saying it works and then reading the user reviews at Camping World, everyone seems to like it.
I'd like to see that in action, maybe down in Branson?
LOL - I had to laugh after I typed that, but I imagine there's going to be a bit of checking rigs and setups out there...
Old 01-24-2007, 04:14 AM   #20
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Stiles, Am I missing something here? The CW website has a cost of $445.00 for the pump and hoses. Where did you get yours for $100.00? That's quite a savings....

Phil P.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote