Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2007, 06:12 AM   #1
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Wireless Backup Camera

Would anyone know if these are any good? Not exactly a high test model, but it might help.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4744711

I was at Costco yesterday and saw them for $89...seemed like a good idea for me as I have a long trailer. I'm not the guy that's going to run a wire all the way under the belly to have this.
If it isn't any good for backing (I wouldn't rely on it anyway), I would like it for going down the road to see if anyone is riding too close to me. If sure the rest of you experience the other drivers that come right up on you and then pass. Poor time for us to be changing lanes.

Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 06:49 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Most folks who have evaluated these wirelsss cameras on this and other forums have said they do not work well on the longer campers. We do have the hard wired camera as do several others on this forum and they are great rear view mirrors..well worth the money.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 08:50 AM   #3
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Hmmm...there must be some wireless model that works good.
I'm on the hunt now...found some that broadcast up to 300 feet.

Or maybe I can find some type of outdoor rated wireless web cam to keep the costs down.
I do have a notebook I could use as the receiver.

I just don't want to go through some elaborate hardwired setup only to replace my truck next year.
It's tough this time of year for me - work slows down and I have time to think about stuff...
Old 01-19-2007, 08:52 AM   #4
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
It will work great- if you use a magnifying glass. Sorry.
I agree it probably would not very well, but maybe it would be better than nothing. I too have looked at them, but probably will wait until I can get a larger and better unit.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 12:58 PM   #5
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Ozzie,
I don't remember the name, but there is a camera out there that modulates a signal over the trailer wiring. (try this http://www.nocablezone.com/ ) Problem is it is only B&W capable. Other than that, it should be a good solution
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 01:03 PM   #6
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dave e Victoria

Ozzie,
I don't remember the name, but there is a camera out there that modulates a signal over the trailer wiring. (try this http://www.nocablezone.com/ ) Problem is it is only B&W capable. Other than that, it should be a good solution UPDATE: I just looked at the site and they claim to be color capable
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 01:42 PM   #7
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Very interesting Dave - thank you for that link.
I will follow up on that to find out the details and cost.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:22 PM   #8
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
The biggest complaint I have heard about these wireless backup cameras is they are sensitive to cell phone frequencies. I guess cell phones can reak havock with them to the point they are useless.

One that modulates over the wiring sounds like a better solution. Got to check that one out.

EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 05:36 PM   #9
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I tried a couple of higher end models of wireless backup monitors ... HitchAid to be specific. Although the owner did try and work with me on interference issues, his unit just didn't work reliably for me. Another issue especially on the low end units ... "fisheye". They try to get a wide field of view from a tiny lense and all you end up getting is an idea of what's there if you do get a signal ... no clue of the distance to the object. The camera is just a lipstick model with no mounting hardware to speak of ... just drill a hole close to your liscense plate and stick it through. With the wireless units I tried, there was just too much blank screen going down the road more so within the city limits where you need it most. One thing I will note, you sure get a good view of someones backyard or deck area from time to time. Security cameras must run on the same frequencies! Ha! I recommend just spend the bucks ($300 - $400) and go wired. They work well and aren't that hard to install.Rich put me on to this site last year http://www.rvcams.com/merchant2/merc...ategory_Code=1 If you don't want IR or can go with a smaller monitor ... cheaper yet!

On Edit: When you see advertisements of 300' transmission, that's on a clear day with the monitor and camera hooked to a battery outside in a flat field somewhere in the country. Once you put the camera behind the RV and the monitor in your truck cab, that advertisement doesn't hold water.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 01:34 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I agree with Dieselguy, I think it will be a lesson in frustration.
Nothing I have read over the years has been positive, just too much electronics interference on the TV and TT for you to overcome. Bite the bullet and hard wire a good color reversible image system from Tim at RVCams.
You will be glad you did. (No easy button on this one)
Remember: 'The bitterness of poor quality remains, long after the sweetness of the cheap price is gone.'
One of my favorites.
Take care bud.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote