Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2006, 04:29 PM   #1
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Mini Freezer in Washer/Dryer closet

Has anybody used the washer/dryer closet for a mini-freezer? If so, have you left the closet doors on or off? I found a 1.6 cubic freezer that would fit nicely in the closet, but was wondering if the doors are closed, if it would be too hot for the freezer to function. I am planning on removing the closet doors at this time because of the heat issue. Thanks for any info.

barb and bob

rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:39 PM   #2
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Barb and Bob ... don't know about the freezer/heat issue in the w/d closet, but why not put louvered doors there? That would allow for air flow but would also look nice. Just MHO.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:51 PM   #3
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Great idea. That definitely would look great and take care of any heat issue. Thanks..

barb and bob
Old 10-09-2006, 06:01 PM   #4
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
We have a 5 cuft freezer in our w/d closet and can close the door if needed for security when we go down the road. We have vent hole drilled to the outside covered with a lovered vent plate. In the hole I have installed a 80mm computer muffin (vent) fan. The fan runs 24/7 except when we travel. The fan is very quiet and hardly draws any current. We leave the door ajar when parked. If you don't have some positive ventalation, the heat builds up in the bedroom.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 12:00 AM   #5
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Not sure about the freezer.But when I bought my protable ice maker I put it in the washer/dryer closet.I guess it was to hot in their because it didn`t work right.Took it out and placed it on the floor near the kitchen and it worked.Maybe their wasn`t enough air circulating in the closet.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 12:45 AM   #6
Redrover98
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3433
We bought a 1.7 cu ft frezer and have it on top of the washer in the w/d closet.I put an area throw rug with the rubber backing facing the washer then cut a piece of 3/8 plywood to fit snugly side to side against the wall. The front to back is the size of the washer. I did this to keep the freezer from sliding on the slick washer top. I use a fridge type expanding bar across the front when traveling. It has been in for about six weeks now and no problem with heat in Fla or moving when on the road.Its a small freezer but the little extra food storage helps.
Dee
Redrover98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 02:11 AM   #7
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
We have an Avanti 1.4 cubic foot freezer in our W/D closet. We keep the door ajar, and I rigged a wire bracket to hold it open when we are on the road (we keep it plugged in to the inverter when traveling). We have been using this setup for over 2 months, and it doesn't seem to be overheating.
I plan to move the freezer to the basement as soon as I quit procrastinating and wire a 110 volt outlet down there.
Bob
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 02:36 AM   #8
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We have the same freezer as Bob in our W/D closet. It sits on top of the washer and doesn't seem to move at all. Ours is not on when we travel but the only things we keep in it is ice and bread. So far, the ice has not melted while going down the road. It sure frees up the fridge for important things like ice cream.

Bill did wire an outlet down in the basement but there is no room for a freezer in that area unless I give up my Lafuma lounge chairs. Not a chance.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 04:34 AM   #9
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Thanks again for the great ideas. I might use the basement once I clean it out next week. Had morebasement storage in my Wilderness, I think primarily because of the pipes running through the basement of the Montana verus the pipes being in a different area than storage in the Wilderness. But afte finishing this 4 month trip wehave decided we need to clean house and get rid of osme stuff. Thanks again.

barb and bob
Old 10-12-2006, 02:36 AM   #10
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Helen, I wish you hadn't mentioned ice cream. I'm on ice cream probation since I returned from our Alaska trip about 10 pounds heavier than when I left.
Bob
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote