Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2006, 06:16 PM   #1
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Slides slightly out going down road

My two large slides have begun to move out about 3 inches at the bottom when going down the road. Fluid level in the hydraulic pump is about 1 inch from the top and there are no visible leaks. The slides extend and retract okay.

Anyone have any ideas? MIMF?

Orv

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 11:19 AM   #2
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
Orv,

If your coach is a 2000 model, it is most likely equipped with the Dewald system. Don't know much about them. But, it could be that you have a cylinder that has an "internal leak". That is, pressurized fluid is getting past the seal around the piston and allowing the cylinder to relax. Thus, the rooms creep out. The same type of deal happens with our systems. Or, there is air in the system.

Beyond that, I will not try to troubleshoot it any more than that because, I don't know that much about the system.

Sorry!

Dale
MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 06:56 PM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MIMF2

Orv,

If your coach is a 2000 model, it is most likely equipped with the Dewald system. Don't know much about them. But, it could be that you have a cylinder that has an "internal leak". That is, pressurized fluid is getting past the seal around the piston and allowing the cylinder to relax. Thus, the rooms creep out. The same type of deal happens with our systems. Or, there is air in the system.

Beyond that, I will not try to troubleshoot it any more than that because, I don't know that much about the system.

Sorry!

Dale
Thanks Dale. I knew you didn't work on the Dewald systems but just wanted some "expert" advice. You have confirmed to me that there must be an internal leak. If there is air in there I don't know how it would get in and once in how would you get it out. I have extended warranty on the hydraulic system and have an appointment with Ketelsens RV in Hiawatha, IA on June 28. In the meantime I'll brace the slides from the inside with 2/4's.

Orv
Old 05-31-2006, 12:48 PM   #4
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Orv

Let us know Orv what the out come of your slide problem is.I also have the Dewald system.So far mine is ok but it would be nice to know what the fix is IF it should happen to me.My main concern is those cables snaping even though it hasn`t happened,but I can see how it would if the cables get brittle or rusted.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 05:07 PM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Update...

My DeWald hydraulic pump was found to be bad. It was allowing fluid to seep back from the lines into the pump. Was replaced by Ketelsens RV in Hiawatha. Cost was $571 for the pump covered under my extended warranty.

Orv
Old 06-28-2006, 05:09 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Orv,
Glad to hear that the problem has been corrected, and covered by the warranty? Could it get any better?
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 04:49 PM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

Orv,
Glad to hear that the problem has been corrected, and covered by the warranty? Could it get any better?
Yes, it got better. When I paid the bill today I found that the extended warranty also covered the $90 labor fee. Ketelsens RV allowed us to park in their show lot with 30 amp power for two nights.

You can't beat dealers who give good service and make every customer feel like they're the only one.

Orv