Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2006, 07:29 AM   #21
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I am so thankful for my 10 gal hot water heater (previous ones were 6) that I never think to complain about the few seconds of wait for the hot water. As I was thinking about this a memory flashed into my mind from childhood. Bath in a galvanized tub with water brought in from the well and heated on the stove. Funny how spoiled we get. Think about it this way that little inconvenience reminds you each morning of the wonderful opportunity for adventure you have.
Happy trails........................

Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 08:52 AM   #22
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dave~ dsprik,
I have never used the electric side of my water heater yet. Going on my 3rd season at the river and I usually burn 2 or 3 tanks of propane for the 6 months I am down there. That includes running the furnace for the months of April and October when the nights get into the 30's. This is using the coach an average of 4 days per week. Will be alot more if I were fulltiming I guess.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 08:58 AM   #23
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Do you have full hookup, Dave? I thought elect was the energy of choice for the WH and fridge when available? Just curious.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 09:30 AM   #24
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Dave,

I am not sure there is a energy of choice. We base decision on what we will be using on things like, is the power at the campground really really good, as in, 50AMPs and the volt meter reading high numbers, which translated means, I can run the heck out of everything and never pop circuit breakers in the rig or on the pole or where ever. If, however, we are in a place where the power keeps failing, we kill the electric hot water heater and may even turn the frig on propane. Sometimes that is the only way to keep the A/C running, turn EVERY THING off, and I mean everything, (cept my computer! HA HA).

IF you are paying for electric, like when you stay for a month, a lot of places put you on a meter, and you now pay an electric bill. So, figure out, is the electric bill gonna cost you more to heat the water than the propane?? I leave that math to Al.

I don't think there is a hard and fast rule on this, it is part of the perfecting the art and science of living in a RV.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:35 AM   #25
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
Thanks for all the feedback. I guess we will just live with it.
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 12:46 PM   #26
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Carol. Great info. I'm still trying to figure this stuff out. By the way, does the 3400 come with a a built in voltmeter, or is everyone going out and buying their own.

I don't know, Joe. I hope we didn't discourage you from going with this. I think the best idea would be to find someone who has one of these units and see how they like them. Don't know if any MOCers have one or not...
Old 05-08-2006, 12:48 PM   #27
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dave,
I only camp with full hookups! (haha) I do not pay for electric at my seasonal site either, I just prefer to use propane vs. electric. I do not want another thing to remember to shut off when unhooking, nothing like burning an element out between campgrounds. Dont worry, I get my money worth during the summer while I sit with both a/c's running and all the other stuff going. =)
Old 05-08-2006, 01:15 PM   #28
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Has the CG figured out that you now have 2 A/Cs?

This is good info for me, Dave and Carol. Thanks!
Old 05-08-2006, 01:21 PM   #29
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Dave, Al has a digital volt thing, has it plugged in in the front room slide, where we can see it without much difficulty. I think it is a CW item?? Digital is MUCH better than analog (had one of those years ago), cause we know exactly what the numbers are, which is important if you really get into a low voltage situation, drops too low, can damage the A/C. And, yes, we have had to shut the A/C off cause of low voltage, good ole state campgrounds usually.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:23 PM   #30
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Carol. These just plug right in to a standard outlet, I take it? And you just leave it plugged in all the time? Or not while you're traveling?
Old 05-08-2006, 01:33 PM   #31
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Yes, plugs into outlet, and it stays in all the time.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:08 PM   #32
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Well thank you Carol, now there is another item added to the "must buy at Camping World next time I am there" list. =)

Dave,
They do know and dont care. I pay a flat rate for the full 6 months and that includes everything from water, electric, sewer, garbage and lawn care. Oh wait, no lawn in my spot - just dirt. The common areas of the campground have amazing thick deep green grass. I do not mind the dirt as I have 5 large outdoor carpets I put down all summer. =)
Old 05-08-2006, 03:43 PM   #33
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Radhazjoe, we had a long discussion on this a couple of years or so ago. We had the same problem. But we've not had the problem in a long time. The difference? I insulated the lines in the belly and in the basement area with foam pipe insulation. Our water heater is at a rear corner in our model and hot water travels a long ways.

So, now I'm convinced the cold spot in the water was where the water cooled off in the lines.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 03:43 PM   #34
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
You are welcome Montana Sky, just LOVE spending other's coin!

Seriously, every unit should have one, ohhh, I am married to a retired electrician, that would have something to do with it, eh???
Old 05-18-2006, 05:05 AM   #35
jimcar827
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4829
Hey Montana Sky,
Where does the line form for those Prevosts? Would you mind standing in for me? I'm just sooo busy. LOL
Jim
jimcar827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 01:57 PM   #36
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I'll stand in line, Jim... just give me the money...
Old 05-19-2006, 05:38 AM   #37
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
I just make sure the shower head is pointed somewhere besides me when I turn it back on to rinse off. Only takes a few seconds for the warm water to come through again.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 05:52 PM   #38
vanomm

M.O.C. #4694
safety issue, eh?
that short burst of cold water is designed to mitigate a blast of scalding hot water.

my experience...once one experiences the burst of cold water on the skin you'll remember to point that sucker elsewhere when restarting the water flow.
vanomm is offline   Reply With Quote