Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2014, 02:54 PM   #1
johncamtravel
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13192
QUESTION ABOUT PROPANE REGULATOR

I have a question about the propane regulator. Does the switch over handle turn to the full propane bottle automatically or does it only switch over internally?? How do we know which bottle is empty??

johncamtravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:22 PM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The automatic switchover is internal. The black lever (or similar) will tell you which tank is empty. Point the lever towards each tank and you can watch the red/green indicator. If it is red then the tank that the lever is pointing towards (you can tell by following the propane line to the closest tank) is empty. Switch the lever to the tank that is green and the tank that indicated red can be removed and filled. Hope I explained that simply enough?
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:27 PM   #3
johncamtravel
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13192
Thanks Bingo
Yes you did and thank you.
That's the way I thought that it worked but just wanted to make sure.
Tanks again.
johncamtravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:49 AM   #4
Capt Jim

M.O.C. #12942
I see what you did there.[
Capt Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:25 AM   #5
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
So what about this situation with the Propane. Our 2 tanks were filled at the dealer when we bought the 3402RL. We left it on and just use it. After a week of camping where the furnace was uses a lot at night, I still see green arrows. I wonder should I switch the lever to the other tank and remove the tank I've been using to top it off before the next trip? I'm guessing the process would be to flip the lever to the other tank, close the valve on the partially full tank and remove it, get it filled, reinstall and very slowly open the valve on the tank, but not flip the lever to point to it.

would this be right?
jfaberna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:27 AM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
The lever just reminds you which tank is being used, so that you can remove the OTHER propane tank while propane is still in use. If you want to fill either or both tanks when propane is NOT needed then close the valves at the tanks and remove them as desired. The lever just reminds us which tank is in use (whether there's propane in it or not).

jfaberna, since it is very difficult to truly gauge how much propane is used at any time, even with anything running, it's possible your rig did NOT use all its propane in the tanks. How big are the tanks in your rig, how cold was the temp? Therefore the procedure you describe for filling the OTHER tank is correct.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:57 AM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Capt Jim

I see what you did there.[
I spotted it also, but did not want to PUNish Johncamtravel!!
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:09 PM   #8
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
The best way I have found to tell how much fuel is left in a propane tank is to pour hot water over the tank and feel down the tank (where the hot water was poured) until it turns cold. Where it turns cold is the fuel level. Any better ways? I have tried the various fuel level indicators but none work as well as the hot water method.
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:22 PM   #9
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Your original question has been answered, it does not physically turn the handle, it works on pressure differential between the two tanks provided of course they are both on.

I have 40# tanks that have small gauges on them, they may not be 100% accurate but they sure tell me when the bottle is approaching empty, I never switch the lever from one to the other and have never run out of propane. The way I look at it is, if it is cold and my furnace is running quite a lot then I need to pay more attention to how much propane is in my tanks.

Look fella's we are retired, we don't have a lot of "stuff" to do and we walk past these tanks every day many times. How difficult is it to open the door and look at the gauge. If you have to get up and switch the bottle over or turn it on in the middle of the night, then a few of those episodes should eventually sink in.

My suggestion! buy a gauge for each tank, they are not expensive and come in various shapes n sizes.

Maybe we are getting to rely on technology too much and need to take responsibility for ensuring we have propane to keep the fires burning, or get a down comforter and just snuggle up till morning.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:43 PM   #10
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
[quote]Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

The lever just reminds you which tank is being used, so that you can remove the OTHER propane tank while propane is still in use. If you want to fill either or both tanks when propane is NOT needed then close the valves at the tanks and remove them as desired. The lever just reminds us which tank is in use (whether there's propane in it or not).

Art, I thought I understood this system but your response has me questioning my understanding. I think the lever is pointing to the tank that is being monitored. Sometimes that is the tank being used but sometimes it is the tank that has gone empty and the monitor shows red and the rig is using propane from the other tank. (Automatic switchover) I have changed empty tanks many times without switching the lever with no ill effects. Am I missing something? Jim
Old 01-22-2014, 05:51 PM   #11
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Jim your understanding of the operation is correct, the handle could be pointing at an empty bottle because that is the one that will be used first. When it empties the auto switchover happens and you are drawing propane from the other bottle.

I leave mine pointed at the bottle I want to empty first, that is the driver side bottle because it is the easiest to get at without tripping over all the "stuff" my DW has on the door side of the unit. I can leave the handle where it always points and continue using propane while taking out the empty bottle and refilling it.

The auto switchover is a bonus, but you still must pay attention to the propane you have remaining.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:01 AM   #12
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Thanks Ed! That has always been my understanding. Over the years I have seen that "Lever" generate pages of discussion on this forum. It is not that mysterious once I realized what it really does. Jim
Old 01-23-2014, 03:48 AM   #13
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Send a message via MSN to Rainer
This week at Quartzsite we used more propane than we usually do since we were boondocking the entire time, generator, furnace, water heater, and stove were all running on propane. We actually filled both bottles twice!

Anyway...I was always under the impression that the lever determined which propane tank was being used, right, left, or both. But my neighbor, h2ojocky, informed me that was only to determine the approximate level of propane in those tanks. I was skeptical.

So I ran an experiment: I removed the street-side bottle and then turned the lever to that missing bottle. And guess what? The propane continued to flow, the stove still lit and the refrigerator wasn't complaining with a "no propane" beep!

A lesson learned.

And you to can learn from my totally scientific experiment!
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 02:21 PM   #14
LDMoore06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13418
ODS propane bottle ran out. I went to the other bottle which was full and turned off and turned it on. I immediately smelled propane. During my investigation, I discovered that propane was coming out the small hole built into the bottom side of the regulator. This appears by the markings to be a single stage high pressure(30psi) regulator. Is the regulator stuck? First time with a problem, do they go bad often? Should I just replace it? I don't mess with propane at all. Any suggestions?
LDMoore06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 02:34 PM   #15
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
They do go bad. Replace it. Not expensive. I replaced mine a number of years ago when it started leaking just like that. Simple to do. Get some gas type pipe tape or pipe dope.

Here is an earlier discussion about it.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 03:51 PM   #16
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Mine went bad this spring. As stated not a hard job at all.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 04:55 PM   #17
LDMoore06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13418
Thanks Bill and Dick. Still haven't made it home from rally. Maybe in a couple of weeks. Need alittle heat in the Smokies. Lol
LDMoore06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 03:29 AM   #18
Starmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16103
This is the easiest/most accurate way to check the propane level in your tanks. It's simpler and less of a mess than pouring water on the tanks, and much easier than removing the tanks to weight them.

https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-LPGC1.../dp/B00Q7379X0

It's a bit on the pricey side, but it is convienent and works on 10lbs tanks and larger. Inline gauges measure the pressure of the propane gas. Since the gas pressure is basically constant for the temps we use propane at, the gauge shows about the same level until the tank is completely empty.

I like to know the level of propane in the tank so I can buy propane when it's convienent, rather than waiting to run out. We keep both tanks' valves open and watch the red/green indicator on the regulator as well.

Dave
Starmaster is offline   Reply With Quote