Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2019, 02:18 AM   #1
WKN

M.O.C. #19550
Supporting Slides

I have a 2017 Montana 3810MS. I’m trying to eliminate some of the movement when we are parked. I’m thinking about using supports on my slide outs to help. I’m just wondering if this will damage my slide outs.

WKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 03:44 AM   #2
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
The slides are made not to need the supports. Also, if you have supports under the slide and you have a tire go flat, it can be very expensive as the weight for that side is now transferred to the slide and usually causes a good amount of damage. To alleviate some of the movement, try putting blocks under the hydraulic jacks so they don't extend so far, using X-chocks and some even use a pin box tripod to get all of the shake out. However, if the unit is still supported by some weight on the suspension, it will still move some.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:27 AM   #3
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Also, take a look at the X-Chocks. They really took out the extra movement in my old TT. Haven't used them on the new 5er though.
https://www.amazon.com/X-Chock-Wheel...s%2C157&sr=8-4
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:31 AM   #4
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Use of supports will not improve 'jiggle'. As long as you have the tires in contact with the ground, there will be some sidewall flexing and "jiggle" will happen. Also the way any towed trailer is supported/leveled is not really a solid foundation.

I do use supports under the 13 foot long LR slide while we are at our summer seasonal but that is a cable operated slide on a HC and it will sag a bit over time along with temperature.

I would not use supports under a hydraulic or rack and pinion slide though

A flat tire will not allow the unit to list to one side if you have the levelers or rear stabilizers down in the event of a flat tire. Additionally that flat will only sink - maybe - 3 inches in a static condition but the other tire wil keep the unit level.

When we travel, I use two BAL X-Chocks. If at a CG for over 2-3 days will add a spare pair of manual rear stabilizer scissor jacks left over from a long gone TT under the frame about at the entry door location. This will mostly control but never totally eliminate 'jiggle' - a fact of RV life
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:49 AM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Yes, slide supports are a risk for slide damage. To eliminate movement in our rigs, I carry blocks I place under each leveler leg to minimize the extension distance of the leg, and have found that helps significantly. Found the pinbox tripod to be of little value.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:00 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Agree with Mike. We carry blocks and lower the front after we unhitch before we start auto level. You do have to have it a little front high, but not near as high as it is to unhook. We tow pretty level, but to get the pin out of the hitch on our truck (with automatic air bags) we do have to raise it a lot more than it needs to auto level. I put the blocks under and then lower it to a good start position (you do have to experiment with this) and then hit auto level and walk away.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:21 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
What Mike and DQDick said.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote